Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dean Lyons Garda - whistleblower or spinner?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Dean Lyons Garda - whistleblower or spinner?

I started a thread some weeks about about the Dean Lyons scandal and Robert McNulty, the Garda who leaked information to the Evening Herald. The thread was blocked and, despite my best efforts, no-one on this website would explain why, which is more than ironic in a thread about news management and manipulation

http://www.politics.ie/justice/40556...ntability.html

Back in Nov. 2007, Robert McNulty, formerly of Store Street and Bridewell garda stations, was sent forward for trial, charged with disclosing the contents of a draft report of George Birmingham's Commission of Investigation. McNulty features heavily in the report as one of Dean Lyons interrogators.

In Feb. 2008, the Indo reported that
    Judge Martin Nolan at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court set a trial date in December and remanded [McNulty] on continuing bail.
    Further delays for air passengers - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

Does anyone know if this case will ever come to trial? It is two and half years since the alleged leak and almost twelve years (!) since Dean Lyons was wrongly charged with a double murder.

Naturally, the senior Gardai at the centre of this scandal were duly promoted but I thought at least the law would apply to a leaker

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Actually, there were two Gardai promoted, both of whom took the 'confession' from Lyons. But really, this a done deal. The parents were given an apology and it's all over. The actual killer, Mark Nash, is residing happily in Castlerea Prison. He wants to go back to the UK, God love him.

Anyway, this is yet another example of stuff that happened when we were too rich to give a damn.
    Last edited by Kev408; 15th February 2009 at 06:03 PM.
    Racism = fear, low self-esteem and breath-taking ignorance.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kev408 View Post
    Anyway, this is yet another example of stuff that happened when we were too rich to give a damn.
    You may be right, Kev, but this has nothing to do with money and everything to do with humanity and integrity. All too often, things are swept under the carpet in Ireland and I have been raising this issue to try to keep alive a sense of justice. The horrendous case of Jerry McGrath convicted last week of attempted murder of a five year old girl while out on bail is a reminder of the dangers here (responsiblity in this case rests not with the Garda but with Judge O'Donnell)

On reading the Bermingham Report, I realise that it has the style of the Stardust Report and the Kerry Babies report. Plenty of verbiage leaving an escape hatch for the powerful i.e. the bizarre fact that Dean Lyons made a statement filled with details of murders which he knew nothing about could be explained by Dean Lyons picking up details of the murders from Garda questioning. This is utterly implausible but, like the Stardust and Kerry Baby cases, the report served a purpose i.e. getting the State off the hook.

The question now is whether anybody will answer for this?

Politics.ie Member powderfinger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lefournier View Post
    You may be right, Kev, but this has nothing to do with money and everything to do with humanity and integrity. All too often, things are swept under the carpet in Ireland and I have been raising this issue to try to keep alive a sense of justice. The horrendous case of Jerry McGrath convicted last week of attempted murder of a five year old girl while out on bail is a reminder of the dangers here (responsiblity in this case rests not with the Garda but with Judge O'Donnell)

On reading the Bermingham Report, I realise that it has the style of the Stardust Report and the Kerry Babies report. Plenty of verbiage leaving an escape hatch for the powerful i.e. the bizarre fact that Dean Lyons made a statement filled with details of murders which he knew nothing about could be explained by Dean Lyons picking up details of the murders from Garda questioning. This is utterly implausible but, like the Stardust and Kerry Baby cases, the report served a purpose i.e. getting the State off the hook.

The question now is whether anybody will answer for this?
    Lefourniere,you are right to raise this question.
    For some strange reason I read the Bermingham Report last year.It is quite readable and does render a myriad of questions which arise from George Berminghams report following on from an internal Garda inquiry into the tragic tale of Dean Lyons r.i.p.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by powderfinger View Post
    Lefourniere,you are right to raise this question.
    For some strange reason I read the Bermingham Report last year.It is quite readable and does render a myriad of questions which arise from George Berminghams report following on from an internal Garda inquiry into the tragic tale of Dean Lyons r.i.p.
    The family were not happy with the Bermingham Report and were probably less than impressed when George was appointed to the High Court less than a year later.

I don't want this question swept under the carpet and I was very unimpressed when the earlier thread was locked for no apparent reason. I'm keeping a watch for the McNulty case. If it doesn't appear before the courts by Easter, it'll be time for serious questions.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The family were not happy with the Bermingham Report and were probably less than impressed when George was appointed to the High Court less than a year later.

I don't want this question swept under the carpet and I was very unimpressed when the earlier thread was locked for no apparent reason. I'm keeping a watch for the McNulty case. If it doesn't appear before the courts by Easter, it'll be time for serious questions.
    No-one gives a damn - it's that simple. I have brought up this case on several occasions (on p.ie) but very few people seem interested by flagrant injustice. The fact that it starts at the top seems to be eluding those who claim corruption at the highest levels.
    Racism = fear, low self-esteem and breath-taking ignorance.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Very funny indeed that the other thread was closed. Did you get any pm telling you why?
    Going back through the other thread I came across this post by Candi

"You have a good grasp of what happens.
    Just read the thread on the garda who stopped John ODonoghue here Garda involved in Ceann Comhairle speed check has disciplinary proceedings quashed
    I believe-but I am subject to correction as I have not delved too much into this case...yet-that Detective Sergeant Robert McNulty was involved in this investigation and he expressed doubts all along about Dean Lyons but he was not listened to by those who saw promotion in a conviction.
    Perhaps he had attempted to have this aired in the media before the 'commission of Investigation' was commenced. In any event he would have been at the commission of investigation hearing and it is alleged that he gave the outcome of the investigation to the media some three weeks before it was released by the commission.
    When the commission of investigation Act 2004 was brought into being it came with serious penalties for anyone betraying the secrecy of the content and or result of any investigation and it is under this legislation that he is being done.
    I do know that the book of evidence was served on him. It will be interesting to see what comes out if the case is followed through with."

and this link

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...est-56443.html

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Despite various efforts to get an explanation from the Mod. who closed the earlier thread, none was forthcoming.

I have set up a Google News Alert for the McNulty case. If it doesn't proceed by Easter, it will be time for Dail questions.

I think the Evening Herald journalist, Mick McCaffrey, was never charged. If he was, the case would take on a very different character and freedom of the press would come to the fore.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Despite various efforts to get an explanation from the Mod. who closed the earlier thread, none was forthcoming.

I have set up a Google News Alert for the McNulty case. If it doesn't proceed by Easter, it will be time for Dail questions.

I think the Evening Herald journalist, Mick McCaffrey, was never charged. If he was, the case would take on a very different character and freedom of the press would come to the fore.
    Would you consider that the Dail questions should take the line that we may not have been made privy to the findings if it was not for the alleged actions of McNulty, or do you consider that the Dail should debate the non prosecution of the Garda as a perversion of the course of justice.

Having said that we have never been made privy to the full report.

Was the Garda trying to remedy that part of the affair?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast