Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Archaeologists search for unbaptized babies' grave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Archaeologists search for unbaptized babies' grave

Archaeologists began searching Tuesday for unmarked mass graves containing hundreds of unbaptized babies and infants buried by the Catholic Church on the edge of a Belfast cemetery. Unlike many other Christian churches, the Catholic Church teaches that baptism is essential for a soul to enter heaven and therefore the ritual must take place as near to birth as possible.

Source
    I watched with glee, while your kings and queens, fought for ten decades for the gods they made.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Of all the dispassionate, brutal acts the church has perpetrated on it's own people on this island, that must be one of the worst.

Savage bastards.

and your point is?
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This happened all over Ireland and not just Belfast.
    Really don't see the point of archeologists digging up the corpses though, unless some developer is building there or something.
    They should remain in site, and maybe have some religious ceremony, giving the Church a chance to redeem themselves by blessing the graves.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Truth.ie View Post
    This happened all over Ireland and not just Belfast.
    Really don't see the point of archeologists digging up the corpses though, unless some developer is building there or something.
    They should remain in site, and maybe have some religious ceremony, giving the Church a chance to redeem themselves by blessing the graves.
    Perhaps the relatives want to know where the remains are to put a memorial there.

Then again, maybe the ceremony requires more accurate knowledge of the location of remains than there is now.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Reading the article the intent seems to be to identify the grave and reincorporate it into the cemetery thereby giving the relatives a little peace.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Ulster Wildlife Trust which in 2001 acquired the supposedly unused land from Milltown Cemetery in a 999-year lease deal says it will transfer any land found to contain graves back to the cemetery
    That seems to be the point of it. There'll be no digging up or identification of the Remains according to the article. Good for the parents and relatives for pushing for this. How sad.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aggressivesecularist View Post
    One quote from the article makes very rough reading:

A sample of possible questions:
    What happened? Were there no records to show that the land contained graves? Why not? Who took the decision to sell? Have such sales taken place of parts of the 'consecrated ground' of the graveyard? Were any relatives consulted? What or who brought the issue to light?
    Very good questions indeed.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd say the majority are still born deaths. Without being macabre, considering the soil type, duration passed, and the bone development, I doubt here is much left. Better to leave them where they are, and consecrate the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Geekzilla View Post
    Very good questions indeed.
    Former leader of Westminster Council,Lady Porter (nee Cohen of Tesco fame) sold three cemeteries for 15 pence to a friendly developer.The relatives managed to stop it, I believe.

Back on subject though; it should be easy enough to identify many of those graves from the placename Killeen,found in many parishes.From 'cillin' *- little church. Apparently the parents often left a cairn of stones on the grave so the infant would have his or her own consecrated ground,if not in the eyes of the church.

*Sorry ,fada on the blink again.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast