Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keep county councils but consolidate their administrations

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Keep county councils but consolidate their administrations

Consolidation of county council administrations in small counties all over Ireland into a few large regional administrations could probably achieve substantial economies of scale. For example,a Leinster county council administration could be set up to serve the counties around Dublin. This potential source of cost savings should be considered by the national government in its cost cutting programme.

Political representation at county level could continue as before with county managers and county councillors. It is highly unlikely that consolidation of the shires as in England would be acceptable here,given the strong identity with counties in the national psyche.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by patslatt View Post
    Consolidation of county council administrations in small counties all over Ireland into a few large regional administrations could probably achieve substantial economies of scale. For example,a Leinster county council administration could be set up to serve the counties around Dublin. This potential source of cost savings should be considered by the national government in its cost cutting programme.

Political representation at county level could continue as before with county managers and county councillors.
    I can't see how it would work unless you amalgamated counties as well. How else could you resolve the issue of two or more Councils making demands on the same resources?
    It is highly unlikely that consolidation of the shires as in England would be acceptable here,given the strong identity with counties in the national psyche.
    In one sense, yes. But nothing is written in stone. The English created our county system. Are we really such slaves to it that we cannot change it?

To be honest, I'd like to see it happen. I think the change in mindset would do our society a lot of good. The alignment of county and politics is a lethal combination, and goes a long way to explain the imbecility of our public life.
    However, banks know they have a duty of care to their clients and I'm sure that this should prevent them lending irresponsibly.

George Lee 2 June 2006

Ziggy

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Schuhart View Post
    I can't see how it would work unless you amalgamated counties as well. How else could you resolve the issue of two or more Councils making demands on the same resources?In one sense, yes. But nothing is written in stone. The English created our county system. Are we really such slaves to it that we cannot change it?

To be honest, I'd like to see it happen. I think the change in mindset would do our society a lot of good. The alignment of county and politics is a lethal combination, and goes a long way to explain the imbecility of our public life.
    Different councils' service demands could be charged fees beyond a basic service.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Any change in local administration boundaries should coincide with a reduction in size and role of national institutions and devolve responsibility to local level and let DE focus on national issues.

Abolish Seanad Eireann, Reduce the number of TDs in DE, consolidate the 34 local authorities into more realistic modern administrative centres. move policy making in areas like the Dep. of Environment and Transport to local level. Let the Local Authorities fund themselves.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

During the late boom, DLRCoCO, formerly Dun Laoghaire corporation built new offices in Dundrum, so that the impoverished inhabitants would not have to endure the arduous journey to Dun Laoghaire Town Hall in their 4 x 4's. I kid you not, in their insanity, they think Dun Laoghaire is the same size as Mayo or Cork.
    Beer is proof that God loves us - Benjamin Franklin

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Different councils' service demands could be charged fees beyond a basic service.
    I don't understand how this would work. How would the 'basic service' be established? And say you merged the administration of Offaly, Longford, Westmeath and Meath (just to make it concrete). How would you get agreement from the four Councils as to where the administrative offices would be? Say, on balance, you thought Tullamore was the best place. Do you think the other three Councils would accept that?
    However, banks know they have a duty of care to their clients and I'm sure that this should prevent them lending irresponsibly.

George Lee 2 June 2006

Ziggy

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

3 of the scariest letters when combined - H S and E.
    Its a no from me. That said social housing should be for real and urgent need as opposed to social and affordable, the planning function should be overseen by a a corruption watchdog (and votes not money is far more corrupting), and services only paired back to the bare minimal.

Local government is a luxury in a country with 4.2m people.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Question R24U View Post

Local government is a luxury in a country with 4.2m people.

It is when most power and decision making lies at national level. Our overly centralised structure means that our LAs are under utilised whilst our Pols play the goodies for the constituency game when they are supposed to be making decisions in national interest as Ministers. Messrs Cullen/O Donoghue/Cowen/O Cuiv in particular are guilty of using their Ministerial briefs to advance their own local agenda to the detriment of the national interest.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by juanpablo View Post
    It is when most power and decision making lies at national level. Our overly centralised structure means that our LAs are under utilised whilst our Pols play the goodies for the constituency game when they are supposed to be making decisions in national interest as Ministers. Messrs Cullen/O Donoghue/Cowen/O Cuiv in particular are guilty of using their Ministerial briefs to advance their own local agenda to the detriment of the national interest.
    Until TDs are elected by a list system, the stranglehood of the Parish Pump rules all other considerations (ut would probably have to be a half list/half constituency as the people could vote against it)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Question R24U View Post
    Until TDs are elected by a list system, the stranglehood of the Parish Pump rules all other considerations (ut would probably have to be a half list/half constituency as the people could vote against it)
    Well if you reduce TD numbers to a level where larger constituencies with fewer seats meaning a candidate may need to do more to win a seat then a get out the local vote in their town strategy.

With more power at local level the role of Cllrs will be enhanced as the reformed larger councils will have a little more clout and be dealing hopefully in things like provision of public transport,education and other areas. I think some things can be done better locally.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast