Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Civil Service leaks & the crucifixion of Ivor Calley

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Civil Service leaks & the crucifixion of Ivor Calley

The Secretary General of the Department of Transport has some serious questions to ask his officials over the malicious leaking of confidential internal correspondence to Journalists.

This mornings allegations in the Irish Independent are outrageous, that personal correspondence from Niall Phelan to high level individuals in that department could appear in a news paper clearly indicates a serious lack of discipline within in the Department.

It seems clear certain individuals in the Department of Transport have a vendetta against Minister Calley, one can only speculate as to the source, however a contributor to this mornings Newstalk’s the Breakfast Show may have hit the nail on the head when he said “of course civil servants don’t like Ivor, he expects them to actually work”.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Leaks from Departments are common place for various reasons at all grades.

Is this an attempt to stand up for Callely?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Civil Service leaks & the crucifixion of Ivor Calley

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus

This mornings allegations in the Irish Independent are outrageous, that personal correspondence from Niall Phelan to high level individuals in that department
    It wouldn't be as outrageous as attempting to bribe a civil servant , would it?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bobbysands81
    Leaks from Departments are common place for various reasons at all grades.

Is this an attempt to stand up for Callely?
    I'm not here to stand up for Calley, I don't believe I ever actually even met him, him being from the northside and all that

You are right everyone knows leaks about policy issues are commonplace; however this situation is different, these malicious leaks have been designed to inflect maximum damage on an individual as opposed to just influencing a policy. Nothing Calley has done in itself is an issue, the officials know that, so now they are leaking issue after issue in an attempt to embarrass the Government in to removing him. This sustained attack on his character crosses the line, it's a disgrace and is a sad day for Democracy.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[quote="Maximus"]The Secretary General of the Department of Transport has some serious questions to ask his officials over the malicious leaking of confidential internal correspondence to Journalists.
    [quote]

Well for starters it's a her. Julie O'Neill.

Callely is the poster boy for gombeen politics in this government. The nation won't mourn his loss.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This sustained attack on his character crosses the line, it's a disgrace and is a sad day for Democracy.
    So you reckon bribes are OK then?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Err, maximus do you think that it might be one of the two people involved in the correspondence that allow the content out into the wild?

"I refer to our meeting at 09.10 hrs this morning at Javaholics Coffee Shop, when you requested me to reconsider my decision of yesterday afternoon to resign my position as your Personal Assistant.

"As I stated to you during our meeting this morning your offer today to personally gift me a new car to encourage me to remain on in my role is wholly inappropriate. In my view you should not have made such an offer and I reject it utterly.

"My decision to resign from my role is, as already stated, irrevocable and I have no wish to receive further representations or offers from you in an attempt to dissuade me from this course. The reasons for my resignation were clearly set out in my conversation with you yesterday afternoon and in my e-mail to you transmitted at 15.07 hrs."

My understanding is that Mr. Phelan is not a member of the permanent civil servive per se but is employed by Ivor Callely himself, though the funding for this comes as part of a TD/minister's entitlements.

My own take on it is that Ivor is so busy that he can't handle the usual constituency activities and has farmed them out to his local staff, who must be wondering if though would not be better off doind the local political work for themselves. I also wonder how Ivor's comments to Clly Heney at the Clontarf convention look now in the light of her success in the locals in '04. Heney is Noel Ahern's PA if I recall correctly, maybe the PAs are sticking together. Perhaps, the boat has sailed for Ivor and Heney might be added again to DNC to shore up the 2 FF seats.
    Dan Sullivan. I was back but we still couldn't all have a vote. http://www.danielsullivan.ie/blog/

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdwex

This mornings allegations in the Irish Independent are outrageous, that personal correspondence from Niall Phelan to high level individuals in that department
    It wouldn't be as outrageous as attempting to bribe a civil servant , would it?
    A. Niall Phelan was not a Civil Servant
    B. Callely had every right to offer his political staff better terms

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So maximus, when you know that Mr. Phelan is not a civil servant why are you claiming the leak came from the civil service?

And it doesn't say much for the minister's management skills that after receiving a resignation letter he tries to buy the person off. Surely, you head off the problem that caused the resignation before it happens, or failing that address those issues that caused it?
    Dan Sullivan. I was back but we still couldn't all have a vote. http://www.danielsullivan.ie/blog/

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't want a repeat of yesterday, where people went extreme party political and became libellous and defamatory, it's unacceptable, petty and childish.

I ask people ensure their contributions are genuine, valid, and free from any which will get you (or P.ie) into legal complications.

Thanks guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast