Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are public servants still getting annual increments?

Default Are public servants still getting annual increments?

Have automatic salary increments also been frozen?

If not, won't this result in many or even most public servants coming out about even over the year?

Since the pension levy is tax deductable, it'll cost most public servants, what, %5 or less?

And annual increments are what on average, a tad shy of of 5%?

Well at least that's it looks like for the junior Clerical Officer that everyone is so concerned about.

I'm sure either my arithmetic or reasoning on this will be shot down in quick order. But please don't go pulling the heart-strings for those on LS2 at the top of their scale. Seeing all the beal-bochting was based on the young CO/teacher/guard/nurse just starting out.

My understanding is that increments are still being paid. Increments are very variable in % terms depending on which scale and what point on the scale you are at. They are fairly stable in absolute terms. In my case I will re-cover about 30% of what I've lost (net) when my increment is payable next December. Will be different for everyone though. I wouldn't expect to hold onto that 30% for too long though as we will all have lots of lovely new taxes to pay in 2010.
    Using a slightly out of date payscale (June07) for a Clerical Officer on midpoint of the scale the Levy would cause their net pay to fall by 11 euro per week. Their increment of approx 20 euro per week gross would put them back slightly ahead of where they started but only very marginally.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Proposition Joe View Post
    Have automatic salary increments also been frozen?

If not, won't this result in many or even most public servants coming out about even over the year?
    Increments in the Civil Service are NOT automatic.

Politics.ie Member Dreaded_Estate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bobbysands81 View Post
    Increments in the Civil Service are NOT automatic.

How do they work?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought increments WERE frozen!!!!!!!!!!!!
    When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded_Estate View Post
    How do they work?
    If you're good enough, your boss signs a form approving your progress one point up the pre-defined scale. If you're not, your boss doesn't sign the form.
    Nothing will motivate the lazy / apathetic / Americanised / west-British types to embrace their culture and the Irish language.

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Underlines that the higher-paid public-sector are the new aristocracy. They are lording it over the rest of us.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

after I pay my new pension levy on the 1st March I get my increment on the 3rd March (just lucky that was my civil service start date).

So all in all I'll be getting a whopping €6 a week for this years increment

Still though prefer that to not having a job and €6 a week extra is miles better than the people being put on protective notice , half weeeks etc in the private sector

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Proposition Joe View Post
    Across the entire public service how many didn't get their increment last year? 100, maybe? Am I warm?
    75,000, maybe?
    Are the figures in the public domain?
    Nothing will motivate the lazy / apathetic / Americanised / west-British types to embrace their culture and the Irish language.

Politics.ie Member Dreaded_Estate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What is the estimated cost of this years increments?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast