Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bundeskanzlerin Merkel

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Bundeskanzlerin Merkel

Well, after all the weeping and gnashing of teeth Angela Merkel has finally been offical sworn in as Germany first female Federal Chancellor. She is also the first head of goverment to comne from the former Soviet backed East German Republic.

Its been a remarkable rise to power in only 15 years. Especailly in this media age where, so often, style counts over substance.

I'm sure we wish her and her Goverment all the best over the next few years. Germany is very important to Ireland and indeed the rest of Europe.

She has had to make a whole raft of consessions to the SPD in order to make this coalition, but that was what the Germans apparently voted for.

The average German on the street (in typical German fashion) is not optomistic about this new goverment.

Personally I think Merkel should be given the benfit of the doubt. She is a remarkably shrewd politican and one that like to battle against the odds. She is pragmatic, clear, honest and just the type of leader Germany needs right now after the showmanship of the Schroeder era.
    "Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative."
    Oscar Wilde

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Your right. I've edited it now.

The name is pronuced as though it was 'Merkl' rather than 'Merkel'.
    Oscar Wilde

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I like her. She reminds me of my auntie miriam

My better half who is an avid SPD fan does'nt have any time for her at all.

When I asked why, her reply was that Merkl will slash public services.
    I think this grand coalition will put the brakes on a lot of that. she seems to be saying, OK you can have your services, lets slap on 3% to vat to pay for it.
    Inflation will probebly rocket as a result and the EU central bank will slap on 1-2% in interest rates to rein it in.

Tough days in germany ahead methinks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Merkel wouldnt be so bad if she wasnt so eager to join in the 'coalition of the willing' nonsense. Germanies large, mainly secular muslim turk culture means that germans dont see the ridiculous caricature of Islam that the US is trying to promote. If Germany gets into this bullshit 'War on Terror' it'll be a whole lot worse that a poor economy.
    Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The OD
    Merkel wouldnt be so bad if she wasnt so eager to join in the 'coalition of the willing' nonsense. Germanies large, mainly secular muslim turk culture means that germans dont see the ridiculous caricature of Islam that the US is trying to promote. If Germany gets into this ******** 'War on Terror' it'll be a whole lot worse that a poor economy.
    Its quite unlikely considering the SPD hold the Forgein Affairs post and the new minister has parised the work of Fischer highly.

Yeah, hiker, many Germans haven't warmed to her yet. Its partly due to her east german backround and partly due to her actual policies. Still she the type Germany needs now. She is a pragmatist first and foremost. Pragmatism is something thats been badly missing in german politics over the last while. We have the opposite problem in Ireland.
    Oscar Wilde

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The German people are clearly greatly divided and I doubt that Merkel has the gravitas to hold this coalition together for long. The SPDs were railroaded into it because to force more elections would have been seen to be sour grapes. But Merkel hardly got a ringing endorsement.
    Her plans for reform will be watered down to the level of a homeopathic treatment, all diluted promises and no actual effect, I suspect. And from our point of view, that's great, because we are already seeing the first effects of her chancellory in Ireland - home loan rates started rising this week.
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A Merkel win is undoubtedly an improvement on that which preceeded her. However, because she is wedded to aparty the (SPD) which comfortably shared power with a loony Green Party, I am not too sanguine. Germany needs to cut its taxes, embrace neo-liberal/anglo-saxon economics, and stay away from France until Mr Sarkozy wins the French Presidency.

Until Continental Europe decides to embrace Globalisation and neo-liberal economics, it will continue to rot. And the EU project will continue to falter. (But that is rant that I will save for another day...)

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A German economic revival will trigger substantial ECB interest rate rises and a crash in the over extended Irish property markey causing economic chaos here. If you own a house and are paying a mortgage you better hope she fails. if you are not on the property ladder then wait for the fire sales if the germans do get going.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This seems like a bizzare coalition, would it be the equivilant of the PDs and Labour going in together?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gladstone
    This seems like a bizzare coalition, would it be the equivilant of the PDs and Labour going in together?
    It would be more like british Labour and Conservatives in coalition.
    Really weird

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast