Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Gold Standard

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Gold Standard

Are advocates of a return to the gold standard generally of the tinned-food-and-shotgun-Ayn Rand libertarian survivalist tendency, or do some of them make sense?

In what way, if any, are they ideologically related to the "with one bound our hero was free" devaluationist tendency?
    Last edited by nuj; 4th February 2009 at 12:02 AM. Reason: typo

Politics.ie Member ballot stuffer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes in my experience. But if you held gold im sure you would advocate substancilly increasing its value too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why is this relevant, nuj? Why not concentrate on the economic arguments for gold instead of calling proponents "tinned-food-and-shotgun-Ayn Rand libertarian survivalists".

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lets debate this! I want to listen. Even better if you have any videos to back up your arguments. Serious.

I was listening to the radio about looking for a new golden standard currency to replace gold. I was like all, why not gold?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

(response to ballot stuffer)

That's called talking your own book, though. Just like bankers did.
    Why gold, and not some other commodity, if we're to chain ourselves to some random commodity with extremely uneven distribution of both mined and unmined quantities?

The question is not whether or not gold will increase in value (whether that value is measured against some or all fiat currencies or bushels of wheat - the favoured long-run measure of goldbugs) but whether a return to the gold standard makes any sense at all as a remedy to current ills.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 20000miles View Post
    Why not concentrate on the economic arguments for gold instead of calling proponents "tinned-food-and-shotgun-Ayn Rand libertarian survivalists".
    One doesn't preclude the other.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Gold Standard system involves the establishment of a reserve currency that is directly convertible into gold.

What country is going to offer to have its currency designated the reserve currency?
    A demagogue is someone who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I vote for cowrie shells.
    Never let the best be the enemy of the good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For you Mr. Deregulation:

Here are the common objections:

1. There's not enough gold in the world

The overall quantity of money doesn't matter, prices will simply adjust to fit the new money supply.

2. If the economy grows at 3% (for instance) while the money supply grows at only 1-2% then the overall price level will fall.

Falling prices for goods are a good thing! Are you crazy!

3. But doesn't that mean an end to economic growth, since entrepreneurs will prefer to put their money under a matress rather than take the risk of investing?

No. While it is certainly "risk-free" to keep your money under the bed, it comes with a very real opportunity cost. Investors have a peculiar trait: they prefer goods in the future to goods in the present. In other words they forego consumption today and prefer a larger return later.

So a deflationary economy a nominal return (i.e., $1) becomes $1.10 when repaid compounds the real return (i.e., the purchasing power of $1.10 is now $1.21)

The desire for future goods may increase the desire for investment.

4. Can you show me a period of time where a gold standard and deflation have led to prosperity?

Why thank you for asking. The period between 1870 and 1896 in the United States and Germany were deflationary. Annualised prices fell 1.6% in the US, while output rose 3.6% per annum. Investment was wide-spread - this was the era of huge advances in manufacturing, railroads and chemistry.

Here are the measuringwoth.com figures for the period:

5. Are you a member of the tinfoil hat brigade?

No, I just want a sound monetary policy

6. Will this mean the end of the boom-bust cycle?

No, you will have to tackle the expansion of bank credit as well, ie. fractional reserve banking.

So that's it!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why not liters of water? There is a water crisis. It would make people conserve water better.

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast