Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 44 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What is wrong with English language extremists?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What is wrong with English language extremists?

Does anyone have an explanation for the strange opinions that English language extremists come out with about the Irish language?

Like the utterly weird statement from the man who wrote to the Indo lately who wants our Irish language TV station closed because the Irish language is 'dead.' (How can a dead language have a TV station?). Gaelport.com - Gearrthóga Laethúla.

Or colunmnist Sarah Carey who attacks Irish language schools because not many children of immigrants attend them and then attacks Gaelscoileannna Teo because the brochures they produce for Polish parents are written in Polish and not Irish.

Then we have hate-filled diatribes against Irish speakers like this Xenophobic Irish 'lovers' a turn-off in any language - Analysis - Independent.ie

Similiar attitudes are also found in Scotland, directed at that county's native language (Gaelic Station Is A Turn Off For Viewers - The Daily Record) even though Gaelic is barely taught in schools there, never mind being compulsory.

Seriously, what is wrong with these people?

Politics.ie Newbie clontarfblue's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What about all the Irish language extremists (muppets) with stupid ideas like making Cigarette warning illegible and want Churchill-esque Eire signs on cars?

I am all for the Irish language on a practical basis, but fighting pointless battles for pointless dual warning etc where maybe 1 in 100 would read the Irish is pointless.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Hon. Edmund Burke MP

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by clontarfblue View Post
    What about all the Irish language extremists (muppets) with stupid ideas like making Cigarette warning illegible and want Churchill-esque Eire signs on cars?

I am all for the Irish language on a practical basis, but fighting pointless battles for pointless dual warning etc where maybe 1 in 100 would read the Irish is pointless.
    It does no harm spreading/promoting the language a wee bit.

Politics.ie Member the_Observer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Irish is a foreign language to the majority of people on this island and as such, some get annoyed when its shoved into their face by the Irish language hobbyists.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

just goes to prove there are idiots, zealots and extremists on both sides of just about every argument, esp when it comes to languages

there called over opinionated columnists and idiots
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joeyjoejoe View Post
    How can a dead language have a TV station?
    Artificially.
    Nothing will motivate the lazy / apathetic / Americanised / west-British types to embrace their culture and the Irish language.

here's the chap
    Literature
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the_Observer View Post
    Irish is a foreign language to the majority of people on this island and as such, some get annoyed when its shoved into their face by the Irish language hobbyists.
    Arguably one of the most stupid statements i have ever read on these fora. If it is a 'foreign' language then where are these 'foreigners'? Where is the foreign country were the language comes from? But that statement reveals much in itself...

Similiar attitudes are also found in Scotland, directed at that county's native language (Gaelic Station Is A Turn Off For Viewers - The Daily Record) even though Gaelic is barely taught in schools there, never mind being compulsory.
    The proliferation of that kind of attitude (an attitude of cultural surrender) is indeed very similiar to what happened in Scotland, a place were the Scottish Gaelic language is now regarded as foreign and not really Scottish despite the many centuries when it was ubiquitously spoken there by all including the Scottish monarchy.

And yes, there has got to be some zeal behind those who agitate in favor of the extinction of the language, if they were merely indifferent to it they would simply sidestep the debate altogether, but they are eager to go on the offensive.

Does anyone have an explanation for the strange opinions that English language extremists come out with about the Irish language?
    I think myself that it comes from feelings of inadequacy and insecurity in one's own nationhood, they are aware of the language but they never learned it, they feel while it exists it serves to remind them of what they lost - that their 'Irishness' is somehow incomplete. So they would seek actively to have it erased completely - everywhere. I think a wounded unrestored Irish language is in the psyche of Irish people a symbol of colonial degradation and shame/anger, a constant reminder of the reality of colonialism here, the rape of Irish culture over the centuries, as non-speakers it's existence makes them feel part of that rape, that failure to preserve. The only way to make them welcome the language is to take it away from those associations, to develop an appreciation of the language for it's own merits, it's beautiful melodic structure and to develop pride in it - not make it obligatory, enforced (the idea of the enforcement of the language has widened people's separation from it and evolved hatred towards it). It's true value is probably infinite from a cultural point of view and when it is finally gone, i hope future generations are civilised enough to recognise what was lost - who knows - if the reactionary hatred towards it dies with it, it might even be brought back from the dead.
    Last edited by Thranduil; 30th January 2009 at 07:01 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Irish people who don't speak Irish are no less Irish than English people who don't speak English. Or Germans who don't speak German. It's not the be all and end all. Although I'm not sure how many Germans or English people would agree with that.

I too get annoyed with people who like have a go at the language. Because that's what it's about. Everyone knows Irish is not dead. It's merely a minority language. But some people can't resist having a dump anyway. Where that comes from...I still haven't been able to figure it out. A language under severe pressure. There's plenty of 'room' for both official languages. But some people won't be satisfied until it's pushed off the cliff completely.

Fortunately, those who respect and value Irish outnumber the extremists. That leaves those who are indifferent.

Page 1 of 44 1234511 ... LastLast