Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I have faith in God but I'm sad to say that I have lost faith in the Catholic Church

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default I have faith in God but I'm sad to say that I have lost faith in the Catholic Church

Its just scandal after scandal.
    Clerical abuse, beyond a scale I could have even imagined! and more currently the Bishops handling of it.
    In America those priests stealing the money and going to Vegas etc.
    Now this Roscommon case really is to me the straw that has broken the camels back for me as far as the Catholic Church is concerned. I know we can't tar everyone with the same brush but there is just too much to handle in a bad way. The cover ups etc. The evil.
    I have faith in God and I know in my heart that he could not support the Catholic Church
    Does anyone else feel like this?

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No. The failings of some human beings do not reflect the faith and teachings. It's like saying you have lost faith in pop music because Gary Glitter was a kiddie-fiddler.

I suspect you have another agenda. You have posted on the Church in the past, and this isn't some sudden revelation you've had, so why start a thread? You have another purpose.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I watched the movie Religulous at the weekend, it's not bad.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Faith in god is one thing, and I do respect that, but I cannot respect the catholic chuch who behaves like a secte.

I have put my daughter in a catholic church and she will do he comunion this year, I know this is the right think to do to give her our christians values, but it is hard to me to listen to some priest or bishops of some sort, who years ago would abandon single mothers, childs or any other "sinners" while at the same time where orchestrating/protecting evil abuser, and still either protect them or close a blind eye ....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have not posted on the Church before. Not that I can think of anyway. What do you mean I have another purpose? And it certainly is not like comparing pop music to the Church. There is not as big a spectrum. What do you think my purpose is?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oddly, Ive lost faith in Giod, but still feel fairly positive towards the church.
    Ignoring their religious instructions (I know that sounds daft), I like their charity work.
    Obviously, Id like them more if they did more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by golfvictor13 View Post
    Faith in god is one thing, and I do respect that, but I cannot respect the catholic chuch who behaves like a secte.

I have put my daughter in a catholic church and she will do he comunion this year, I know this is the right think to do to give her our christians values, but it is hard to me to listen to some priest or bishops of some sort, who years ago would abandon single mothers, childs or any other "sinners" while at the same time where orchestrating/protecting evil abuser, and still either protect them or close a blind eye ....
    No decent priest or Bishop would do any such thing, the clerics that behaved like pigs were a section, not the whole. I know many people whose families survived the bad times past solely through the efforts of priests to get them fed and clothed. Rarely mentioned, of course.

I have no sympathy for people using child-abuse by a minority of evil clerics as a reason to abandon the faith, the faith could never have been that strong in the first place. Did you ever stop to think, when you look at the ethnic domination of the Catholic Church in the areas (Ireland, Britain, America, Australia) where child-abuse is prevalent, that the problem might be an Irish one rather than a Catholic one? Tht there might be something sick in our culture, not in that of the Church? There's an appalling vista for you...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Irish View Post
    I have not posted on the Church before. Not that I can think of anyway. What do you mean I have another purpose? And it certainly is not like comparing pop music to the Church. There is not as big a spectrum. What do you think my purpose is?
    Okay, apologies, I confused you with another poster, I withdraw that second comment.

As to the point, see my response above...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Excuse me D. Harry, but why are you asking me what I have done for my church? What has that got to do with my thread? Why are you being so defensive? Are you a priest?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by D.Harry View Post
    The Church is the People of God. You seem to be content to place all the responsibility on the clergy. What have you done for your church? I notice you didn't mention all the good associated with your church.
    If you want to leave your church, fine. But don't blame others for your decisions.

I agree with D.Harry

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast