Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dissecting the 2007 Fianna Fail Voter

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Dissecting the 2007 Fianna Fail Voter

Was looking to do some analysis on the FF voter at the last general Election and see where they would be now... Just a general look at the grouping within FF last time out and an honest reflection of whether they would vote FF next time.

Broken a few down already and I will add to them as they are posted.

Core FF voter - Traditional FF voter, family have always been FF, 1-2-3 down the Ballot paper, Still with FF
    Republican Party Voter - Votes FF as the Republican Party, understands history of the state and views their vote with FF as their effort to the cause. This voter may swing to SF
    Celtic Tiger Voter Have had a FF government during their entire voting life and saw voting against FF as a vote against all the CT offered. Most definitely away from FF and may not vote next time.
    Leaders Debate Voter The Undecided voter running into the last election. Thought about voting against FF but swung away from the opposition parties (mainly FG) after viewing a poor performance by Enda Kenny on the Leaders Debate. Most Likely still undecided but more likely not to vote FF next time
    Bertie Voter Voters who liked Bertie, Felt close to him and were unsure & unaware of the other party leaders. Cann't see these Voters staying with Brian Cowen. May have seen more in Common with Pat Rabitte then an Eamon Gilmore imo also.
    The Person Voter Voted for a Person rather then the Party. No Allegiance to FF but gave it No1 because of the Canidate in their constituency - No Idea where these voters would sit, but would see at least 1 in 3 being unhappy.
    public servant voter no real party affinity but delighted with the pay rises and benefits they received by way of Benchmarking. May presently be worried for their jobs, but I would say are undecided when it comes to voting next. If anything could see thes evoters go to Labour
    geography voter Voted for FF because they thought the FF Canidate locally had a better chance of being elected. Can see this voter not giving the 2nd 3rd preference vote to FF in this instance
    Last edited by Iarmhi Gael; 23rd January 2009 at 08:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I believe there was a vote for Bertie (I'm not going to argue the rights/wrongs of this but i believe it existed); the immediacy of Bertie to the public or the public's familiarity with Bertie, however wrongly portrayed/lampooned in the media ensured that everyone knew Bertie at almost a personal level, unlike leaders of the opposition.

Politics.ie Member Amach na Casca's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It would be interesting to see what percentage of each voter type makes up FFs total votes. If roughly 25% of the entire electorate vote FF no matter what, and 41% voted FF last time out then the core voter is worth more to FF than the other 3 groups put together. In short FF will always be there or thereabouts when it comes to winning elections. If they do a bit of flag waving near elections that'll help pull in a few more votes no doubt.
    “As well might you leave the fairies to plough your land or the idle winds to sow it, as sit down and wait for freedom.” - Thomas Davis

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What about?

What about

Unemployed voter
    Negative equity Voter
    Parent voter facing higher education costs
    Sick voter with longer waiting lists
    Public Sector voter facing job cuts
    Building worker voter
    investor voter
    Where is me Pension voter
    motor sector employee voter
    entrepreneur voter
    Credit card debt voter
    Job hunter voter
    Mother of emigrant voter
    Developer voter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what about "the bertie told me fibs" voter ?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default He / She are probably in some on or more of the screwed catogories

Quote Originally Posted by Digout View Post
    what about "the bertie told me fibs" voter ?

He / She are probably in some on or more of the screwed catogories and will already be included, in the previous list?

Duth Ealla

Iarmhi gael

interesting exercise. I think there is some overlap between the groups. Many (using your terminology) core FF voters would do so because they imagine FF as a republican party.

Similar kinda approach to American politics where you have Saints, Sinners and Salvageables.

From a non FF point of view:

Sinners would be the core FF vote who will vote FF if they say, had a corrupt leader or nearly bankrupted the state. Maybe about 25-26 % FF.

Saints are those who dont vote FF - about 60% from the last GE

Those 15% who voted FF in the election but seemed to vanish in the SBP poll are your salvageables.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kellsangel View Post
    He / She are probably in some on or more of the screwed catogories and will already be included, in the previous list?
    Yes, more than likely on the dole, thats where they deserve to be anyway if the believed that thief.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Duth Ealla View Post
    Iarmhi gael

interesting exercise. I think there is some overlap between the groups. Many (using your terminology) core FF voters would do so because they imagine FF as a republican party.

Similar kinda approach to American politics where you have Saints, Sinners and Salvageables.

From a non FF point of view:

Sinners would be the core FF vote who will vote FF if they say, had a corrupt leader or nearly bankrupted the state. Maybe about 25-26 % FF.

Saints are those who dont vote FF - about 60% from the last GE

Those 15% who voted FF in the election but seemed to vanish in the SBP poll are your salvageables.
    I don't think so... A core voter of FF could also be someone who had a FF member in its family, had support from the likes of Dev, Lynch or Haughey...

Then you will have another Core Supporter who will just vote FF as they are republican. I see these Voters going to SF now. Hense why I broke them up. Anyway there is no right or wrong answer in this - Just looking to see the main groupings of FF last time out and see where they stand...

I know there was a business Voters - A Business Owner who voted FF, but I was looking someone more intellegent to comment on that one.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't think you can leave out the voter who didn't vote for Fianna Fail, but did vote for one of their candidates.

A lot of Willie O'Dea's vote falls into that category, but it is probably present to some extent in most constituencies.
    Economic Left/Right: -2.88 (down 3.63 since the financial crash)
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast