Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 121

Thread: Could Fine Gael and Sinn Fein form a Government

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    79
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Could Fine Gael and Sinn Fein form a Government

    It is very clear at this stage that in a post General Election situation that Fianna Fail will be unlikely to have the necessary Numbers even with Labour to form a government.

    In any event FF would hardly be credible given their part in ruining the country as opposed to running it.

    Labour have not indicated and realistic grasp of the necessary measures required to save the country. They should be quite at home with the march to a larger State Sector with the march to nationalisation of the Financial Sector.

    Sinn Fein are motivated by a high sense of duty to their country and given that there hardly a party in the country without that was not hatched from armed struggle are they now ready to take their place in government to serve their Country.

    A Sinn Fein FF government is not an option due to the perception by SF that FF are too close to Vested interests in the construction and banking sectors.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Dublin for now
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I hate to see it but many within Fine Gael especially at "strategy level" are starting to warm to the prospect of Sinn Fein being sanitized & thus a potential coalition partner.

    Now I'd never say never but leaving aside the issues I have with Sinn Fein's recent past & the manner in which they run their party I think there are too many fundamental policy differences, they're too far left, too anti-europe & generally at odds with most of what Fine Gael stands for!

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    79
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Surely if they could form a government with Ian Paisley

    Surely if they could form a government with Ian Paisley they could form a government with anyone

    Fianna Fail were considered sanitized by the early thirties, and its a while since 1998

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Dublin for now
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Big difference between a forced coalition which is struggling along & a free one ala the South! DUP don't really have any coherent policies bar protecting the Union, Sinn Fein like to at least pretend to be a Hard Left party as well as Republican

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Pat Mc Larnon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North Belfast
    Posts
    5,588
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by October View Post
    I hate to see it but many within Fine Gael especially at "strategy level" are starting to warm to the prospect of Sinn Fein being sanitized & thus a potential coalition partner.

    Now I'd never say never but leaving aside the issues I have with Sinn Fein's recent past & the manner in which they run their party I think there are too many fundamental policy differences, they're too far left, too anti-europe & generally at odds with most of what Fine Gael stands for!
    What you are getting though are less and less people dismissing the idea out of hand.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Dublin for now
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Mc Larnon View Post
    What you are getting though are less and less people dismissing the idea out of hand.
    Big time, but will SF be enough of a presence after the next General Election to be vital to a coaltion. Both Morgan & O'Snodaigh's seats could be at risk, Ferriss' too and they've very few realistic gains on the horizon bar in Donegal

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Nobody seems to be asking though, would SF go into govt with FG!

    I seriously doubt it.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Irlanda
    Posts
    149
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Mc Larnon View Post
    What you are getting though are less and less people dismissing the idea out of hand.
    Correct. I think that a FG lef coalition with SF could be a possibility due to
    1) The two parties work extremely well together at many local authorities such as in Monaghan, Louth etc.

    2) The SF party is not a closely tied to Trade Unions and that may be a factor in helping FG to warm to the idea.

    3) The next Election will be like that of 1948 - "Get them out!"

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    79
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Labour are obsesed with maintaining public sector pay

    Labour are obsessed with maintaining public sector pay

    Fianna Fail are not capable of running the country

    The Greens will not be taken seriously again and are likely to be wiped out next time out.

    SF are have the motivation to take on public sector unions.


    FG are already work with SF on Councils

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member White Horse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dundalk
    Posts
    7,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kellsangel View Post
    It is very clear at this stage that in a post General Election situation that Fianna Fail will be unlikely to have the necessary Numbers even with Labour to form a government.

    In any event FF would hardly be credible given their part in ruining the country as opposed to running it.

    Labour have not indicated and realistic grasp of the necessary measures required to save the country. They should be quite at home with the march to a larger State Sector with the march to nationalisation of the Financial Sector.

    Sinn Fein are motivated by a high sense of duty to their country and given that there hardly a party in the country without that was not hatched from armed struggle are they now ready to take their place in government to serve their Country.

    A Sinn Fein FF government is not an option due to the perception by SF that FF are too close to Vested interests in the construction and banking sectors.
    It is possible but unlikely.

    First of all, a programme for government would have to be agreed. This may be problematic.

    Secondly, the leadership of SF resides outside of the Dail. This would make it very difficult to operate an effective coalition government.

    Would decisions be made at the cabinet table or via phonecalls to Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness?

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •