Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: President Of Ireland - Do We Really Need One?

Default President Of Ireland - Do We Really Need One?

Just a question....

Salary in the region of 350k pa plus Pension

The Cost of 'running the Office' - Travel, Accommodation etc I presume would run into the 100's of thouands+.

At the moment I have difficulty explaining the post to international friends, and usually use the analogy of an Elected Monarch?

Dev seemed to introduce this as a way of distinguishing us from the UK.... But is the office really necessary now?

Why don't we amalgamate the office of President & Taoiseach?

It might mean we have a little more pride in the people with elect into this role (swipe only aimed at FF! In fairness to May I think she's lovely!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LeftOfCentre View Post
    Just a question....

Salary in the region of 350k pa plus Pension

The Cost of 'running the Office' - Travel, Accommodation etc I presume would run into the 100's of thouands+.

At the moment I have difficulty explaining the post to international friends, and usually use the analogy of an Elected Monarch?

Dev seemed to introduce this as a way of distinguishing us from the UK.... But is the office really necessary now?

Why don't we amalgamate the office of President & Taoiseach?

It might mean we have a little more pride in the people with elect into this role (swipe only aimed at FF! In fairness to May I think she's lovely!)
    Abolish the senate and give the powers to the President. At the moment it is a waste of time and money.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, the president is a critical part of our republic.

Unfortunately, spinning a bunch of non-descript McAleesisms every couple of months just doesn't cut it.

Mary McAleese is a hopeless leader. She's about as inspirational as the chairwoman of my local parish council.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Factorem View Post
    Yes, the president is a critical part of our republic.

Unfortunately, spinning a bunch of non-descript McAleesisms every couple of months just doesn't cut it.

Mary McAleese is a hopeless leader. She's about as inspirational as the chairwoman of my local parish council.
    The President of Ireland isn't supposed to be a 'leader'. The main function of the President is as Guardian of the Constitution.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good question and post. I personally have come to believe that it is no longer necessary.
    Meeting heads of state and other functions can be done by sending out a delegation from the Oireachtas.

One positive about the president though is that it is election is sometimes not elected by the Dail, so if it had a little more power it could act as a check to a government. A better idea would be to have the Seanad directly elected by the people, and give it jurisdiction over international and policy and constituional matters and also ensure that we had a clearer separation of powers.
    "They take away our freedom in the name of liberty"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by myksav View Post
    The President of Ireland isn't supposed to be a 'leader'. The main function of the President is as Guardian of the Constitution.
    "Guardian of the Constitution" my ass.

She should be stamping down her authority and not allow a second neverendum.

Of course she's probably too afraid to offend anyone.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Perhaps she should be given more power-foreign policy and the EU for example?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default P45 for McAleese

The President is a post colonial hangover , from an era when mainstream politicians were wont to go shooting at each other.

Waste of an office, Mary Robinson tried to do something creative with it but that points out the problem: the office itself is redundant.

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The reason the office is redundant is because Mary McAleese is herself redundant.

She should be more pro-active and use the influence of office to the fullest extent.

Looking back at all the great presidents of this fine republic, McAleese is pretty insignificant.

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd tend to agree, Presidents really are just window-dressing, unless a weekly diet of 'moving forward together', 'building bridges', 'cherishing diversity' and similar inanities are important to you. I say replace it with a People's Commissar invested with the power to summarily shoot politicians, lawyers, developers and bankers on behalf of the citizenry...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast