Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: why should I join Fine Gael?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default why should I join Fine Gael?

I made a New Year's resolution to myself: that I would become politically involved in 2009. I have been becoming more and more disillusioned with the direction that this country has being going in for years now and have, rather than snipe from the sidelines, resolved to do what I can to effect positive change here. Even if that involves sticking leaflets through letterboxes so be it, at least it's a commitment. Obama's election in the US was also an inspirational lesson in grassroots activism.

I've been appalled by the FF administration for many years for all of the standard reasons (corruption, incompetence, parochialism and awful mismanagement - I wouldn't trust any of the current troika running the country to run my local sweetshop). The PDs are defunct. Labour is a tool of the union dinosaurs. Sinn Fein hold no appeal for me. I'm a reasonably intelligent, university-educated professional with your standard middle-class profile. My leanings are moderately libertarian by instinct.

So, of the mainstream political parties, Fine Gael is the only one that I would consider joining.

Tell me why I should do this!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Try a little harder, I was member one time and they would bore any normal person to death.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Look how far out to the left I've managed to push my user details. What do I win? I'm in Dublin btw.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HarshBuzz View Post
    I made a New Year's resolution to myself: that I would become politically involved in 2009. I have been becoming more and more disillusioned with the direction that this country has being going in for years now and have, rather than snipe from the sidelines, resolved to do what I can to effect positive change here. Even if that involves sticking leaflets through letterboxes so be it, at least it's a commitment. Obama's election in the US was also an inspirational lesson in grassroots activism.

I've been appalled by the FF administration for many years for all of the standard reasons (corruption, incompetence, parochialism and awful mismanagement - I wouldn't trust any of the current troika running the country to run my local sweetshop). The PDs are defunct. Labour is a tool of the union dinosaurs. Sinn Fein hold no appeal for me. I'm a reasonably intelligent, university-educated professional with your standard middle-class profile. My leanings are moderately libertarian by instinct.

So, of the mainstream political parties, Fine Gael is the only one that I would consider joining.

Not trying to be smart, but you've probably already answered the question yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Because the "pity we didn't win but didn't we do well" attitude appeals to you.
    Freedom, Tolerance & Equality of Opportunity

Economic Left/Right: -1.25
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.33

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You should join FG if you agree with their policies.

You do not have to agree with everything. The party you disagree with the least is your best fit.
    Have you researched any of the policies?
    What are your most important policies to be addressed?

Etc.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mazzy Maz View Post
    Not trying to be smart, but you've probably already answered the question yourself.
    Not true. Certainly a good reason not to join FF. However FG is not really an inspiring alternative.

Would replacing the troika of Cowen, Lenihan and Coughlan with a troika of Kenny, Brian Hayes and Varadkar inspire more confidence? Not for me.

The country is f'ed. We need a government of national emergency combining the best politicians in the country. True, few of these are from FF, but there are few in FG as well - with the glaring exception of Richard Bruton.

Personally, I don't think your joining Fine Gael would have any impact on the country. Get out on the streets. We need a revolution.
    Thanks to the poster who taught me to use the ignore list!

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why join a party?

If they don't fit with your own views, or those of the people then why would you want to be a part of any of them . . . .unless you can help instigate major party reforms in which case you'd be my hero!
    The Irish Jobs Guru . . . for an irreverent look at Irish Jobs and Irish Life (plus a few rants)

The first rule of politics should be:
    Anybody who wants to be a politician is automatically barred from becoming a politician.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You should join Fine Gael, because you will be joining one of the most dynamic, enterprising and rewarding teams in the country. Fine Gael is Ireland's fastest growing political movement. It has a new team that is ready to govern, it has the right balance of youth and experiance. Fine Gael is going to overtake Fianna Fail as the largest political party in Ireland.

Fine Gael core values include: Equality of opportunity, Enterprise and Reward, Security, Integrity and Hope. Fine Gael, beleives in a Universal Health Service and a Universal Education Service. Fine Believes in the fundmentals of our economy and has proven correct on the everything that it has said and suggested about the economy for many years.

Thats just for starters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meriwether2 View Post
    You should join FG if you agree with their policies.

You do not have to agree with everything. The party you disagree with the least is your best fit.
    Have you researched any of the policies?
    What are your most important policies to be addressed?

Etc.
    Oooooh look at you being all reasonable and logical with your response. This is not the kind of website for that kind of talk!
    Freedom, Tolerance & Equality of Opportunity

Economic Left/Right: -1.25
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.33

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zeleneye View Post
    Not true. Certainly a good reason not to join FF. However FG is not really an inspiring alternative.

Would replacing the troika of Cowen, Lenihan and Coughlan with a troika of Kenny, Brian Hayes and Varadkar inspire more confidence? Not for me.
    The country is f'ed. We need a government of national emergency combining the best politicians in the country. True, few of these are from FF, but there are few in FG as well - with the glaring exception of Richard Bruton.

Personally, I don't think your joining Fine Gael would have any impact on the country. Get out on the streets. We need a revolution.
    Are you suggesting that Brian Hayes and Varadkar are going to be minister for finance, and Tainiste and minister for enterprise in a FG/Lab government?

Your analysis isn't exactly inspiring either.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast