Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 119

Thread: Spousal abuse double standard revealed

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Spousal abuse double standard revealed

    If rebekah Wade - spouse beating editor of the Sun - were a man her arrest would have been greeted with howls of outrage and instant dismissal and Grauniad luvvies on about how Page 3 is depraved and what can we expect etc etc etc.. Instead we get sniggers on BBC Newsnight about "Ginger ninjas" and applause from her employees.

    John Waters does tend to go on and on about this but this shows that the whole idea of women beating husbands - a commonplace event - is really not treated at all seriously.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Spousal abuse double standard revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by commentator
    If rebekah Wade - spouse beating editor of the Sun - were a man her arrest would have been greeted with howls of outrage and instant dismissal and Grauniad luvvies on about how Page 3 is depraved and what can we expect etc etc etc.. Instead we get sniggers on BBC Newsnight about "Ginger ninjas" and applause from her employees.
    Probably, although it's also reasonable to suggest that the incident got far more coverage precisely because she was a woman (as well as because of the bizarre coincidence of the guy who plays Phil Mitchell also being assaulted by a woman on the same day). When was the last time a single incident of domestic violence (irrespective of the gender of the perpetrator) got this level of coverage?
    Failed liberal traitors: http://cedarlounge.wordpress.com

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    IRELAND
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I have in my possession a police scanner and every weekend I hear a report of domestic dispute comming from a house that I will only refer to as number 19--the Gardai no longer take these complaints seriously because every time they go there the couple say everything is alright hugs kisses all around

    --I ve even heard the gardai on the radio [with the woman talking in the background] '' all units the love birds at no 19 are all hugs and kisses theres no problem and everything is rosey in the garden''

    Is it any wonder that the gardai dont bother wasting their time with the likes of these idiots who keep crying wolf and seem to get their thrills in ''the making up''
    The crown above the red hand is that of the O'Neill rulers of Ulster---not the Saxe-coborg gotha usurpers crown

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Ready for government
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Spousal abuse double standard revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by commentator
    If rebekah Wade - spouse beating editor of the Sun - were a man her arrest would have been greeted with howls of outrage and instant dismissal and Grauniad luvvies on about how Page 3 is depraved and what can we expect etc etc etc.. Instead we get sniggers on BBC Newsnight about "Ginger ninjas" and applause from her employees.

    John Waters does tend to go on and on about this but this shows that the whole idea of women beating husbands - a commonplace event - is really not treated at all seriously.
    I agree completely. Whatever about the irony of the situation, it does display a large amount of double standards. Especially when I read that the Sun have had an ongoing campaign against domestic violence recently.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Poblacht na hÉireann
    Posts
    448
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martin TYRONE
    I have in my possession a police scanner and every weekend I hear a report of domestic dispute comming from a house that I will only refer to as number 19--the Gardai no longer take these complaints seriously because every time they go there the couple say everything is alright hugs kisses all around

    --I ve even heard the gardai on the radio [with the woman talking in the background] '' all units the love birds at no 19 are all hugs and kisses theres no problem and everything is rosey in the garden''

    Is it any wonder that the gardai dont bother wasting their time with the likes of these idiots who keep crying wolf and seem to get their thrills in ''the making up''
    Of course martin TYRONE is joking - he does not use a scanner to listen to the Gardaí, nor does he act upon information received I am quite sure.
    "I hereby declare that the Continuity Executive and the Continuity Army Council are the lawful Executive and Army Council respectively of the Irish Republican Army, and that the governmental authority, delegated in the Proclamation of 1938, now resides in the Continuity Army Council, and its lawful successors."

    Comdt. General Thomas Maguire

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member agora's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    The Basement on the 13th Floor
    Posts
    106
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I have in my possession a police scanner and every weekend I hear a report of domestic dispute comming from a house that I will only refer to as number 19--the Gardai no longer take these complaints seriously because every time they go there the couple say everything is alright hugs kisses all around

    --I ve even heard the gardai on the radio [with the woman talking in the background] '' all units the love birds at no 19 are all hugs and kisses theres no problem and everything is rosey in the garden''

    Is it any wonder that the gardai dont bother wasting their time with the likes of these idiots who keep crying wolf and seem to get their thrills in ''the making up''








    Or maybe it could be that the victimised spouse (I'm not preguessing which one it is), is so terrified and yet dependent on his/her spouse that when the (none too observant) Guards come round he/she makes excuses for him/her and pretends that everything is fine.

    Many people in abusive relationships convince themselves that the violence is their fault and even if they go to the stage of calling the Gardai, that guilt and the sense of dependence which psychological abuse can bring, often leads them to feel protective towards their partner and to do anything to avoid getting them into trouble, even to the extent of denying anything is the matter.
    "Partout où la liberté règne elle est incessamment attaquée et très souvent en péril” – Jean Jacques Rousseau.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    IRELAND
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Look lads its quite simple -this is the 21 st century and its a womans world

    If she hits you--you must have said something or did something to her

    If she does the dirt on you----shes a single woman free to do what ever she pleases

    If you split up ---you should be greatful to have the oportunity of her spreading malicious rumours about you-and that she is helped in doing this by a group of gossip mongering bad minded bitches and dedicated diesel and lipstick dikes-who cant wait to leap on the bandwagon of the cause of the poor down trodden women

    --you should be greatful that you might just be able to afford a flat so that her, her new jigilo and your kids who now call the new fella dady and the same kids that you never see-because she has run to the gardai and lied about you being abusive a term that covers just about anything that she doesnt like-- can all live in your former home while you pay maintenance towards her and her new stud who has more than likely never worked a day in his life.


    And remember lads she is always in the right no matter how she behaves-----PMT is a get out clause for everything.
    The crown above the red hand is that of the O'Neill rulers of Ulster---not the Saxe-coborg gotha usurpers crown

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martin TYRONE
    And remember lads she is always in the right no matter how she behaves-----PMT is a get out clause for everything.
    Congratulations. You've taken a thread about a reasonably serious and important point, and made yourself look like a p.rick. Kudos!
    Failed liberal traitors: http://cedarlounge.wordpress.com

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member TheBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martin TYRONE
    Look lads its quite simple -this is the 21 st century and its a womans world

    If she hits you--you must have said something or did something to her

    If she does the dirt on you----shes a single woman free to do what ever she pleases

    If you split up ---you should be greatful to have the oportunity of her spreading malicious rumours about you-and that she is helped in doing this by a group of gossip mongering bad minded bitches and dedicated diesel and lipstick dikes-who cant wait to leap on the bandwagon of the cause of the poor down trodden women

    --you should be greatful that you might just be able to afford a flat so that her, her new jigilo and your kids who now call the new fella dady and the same kids that you never see-because she has run to the gardai and lied about you being abusive a term that covers just about anything that she doesnt like-- can all live in your former home while you pay maintenance towards her and her new stud who has more than likely never worked a day in his life.


    And remember lads she is always in the right no matter how she behaves-----PMT is a get out clause for everything.
    If this is a joke, you should work harder at making it funny. Otherwise, it is (to coin a phrase) beneath contempt!

    Ok, it is serious that there is a double standard, but to claim that it's a woman's world and that there's a big conspiracy whereby the (male-dominated) legal and juducual professions favour womankind is just laughable.

    I think the reason that it got so much coverage is the fact that the husband in question is a big guy, and one who plays an abusive w*nker in one programme and a big tough guy (whose wife left him) in another.
    Heavy words are so lightly thrown.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    IRELAND
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Well I remember a few years back on a night out in Dublin with a group of friends---a couple broke up and the female took off her high-heel shoe and started belting the fella about the head in the process seriously injuring one of his eyes--he never raised his hands to her----we all went to the Gardai station----[It wasnt my idea Risteard]--the Free state police thought it very funny----agh sheeaye gaave ye a beaten diid shey--guffaws all around-----until one of the lads said if they found the matter so trivial would they have any objections if he found the woman and did the exact same thing to her as she had to his friends eye---then the boys in blue stopped laughing---ye cant be doing that--its not right----Double standards or what ????
    The crown above the red hand is that of the O'Neill rulers of Ulster---not the Saxe-coborg gotha usurpers crown

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •