Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: No Irish need apply ....

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default No Irish need apply ....

No Irish need apply: Polish builders get their own back

No Irish need apply: Polish builders get their own back - Local & National, News - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

"'No Irish need apply' - the signs are already going up on building sites abroad in a throwback to the grim days of the the last century.

But this time they are starting to appear in Poland as that country takes its revenge for the way in which some unscrupulous Irish contractors treated their countrymen during the years of the Celtic Tiger."

A case of what goes around comes around??

Aidan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aidanodr View Post
    No Irish need apply: Polish builders get their own back

No Irish need apply: Polish builders get their own back - Local & National, News - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

"'No Irish need apply' - the signs are already going up on building sites abroad in a throwback to the grim days of the the last century.

But this time they are starting to appear in Poland as that country takes its revenge for the way in which some unscrupulous Irish contractors treated their countrymen during the years of the Celtic Tiger."

A case of what goes around comes around??

Aidan
    Probably no more than a local piss-take.
    A non-story.

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I condemn this but equally I condemn the Dickensian pay and conditions imposed on migrant labour in this country. There is an interdependence between fair pay and conditions for migrants and job-security for Irish workers.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

What goes around comes around.

Unfortunately this "revenge" will be taken out against working people(Irish)

Many Irish employers have disgraced themselves in their treatment of working people both immigrant and indigenous Irish.

My advice to maltreated workers of whatever backround is to have long memories and where possible whether by economic means or social interaction leave the averacious in no doubt as to what we think of their behaviour.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah what comes around goes around.

But this is likely to hurt Irish workers that were in no position of power to inflict poor pay and working conditions on Polish workers here.

I also think the notices are slightly insensitive and stir up feelings from the past when No Irish signs were in the UK and the US.

In any case, regardless of how poorly Polish workers were treated here, those signs are against EC law(non discrimination of nationality and racial legislation).

Though it is worrying how many Polish feel towards the Irish and Ireland after their bad experiences and exploition during their stay here.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blinding View Post
    What goes around comes around.

Unfortunately this "revenge" will be taken out against working people(Irish)

Many Irish employers have disgraced themselves in their treatment of working people both immigrant and indigenous Irish.

My advice to maltreated workers of whatever backround is to have long memories and where possible whether by economic means or social interaction leave the averacious in no doubt as to what we think of their behaviour.
    What are "indigenous Irish"? Are we like some tribe of American Indians?

I'm Irish. Drop that silly word "indigenous". If people in Ireland are not Irish they're foreigners.

Is that too complicated for you?

If you think Mass Immigration is a good idea, ask a Palestinian.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by euroboy View Post
    Yeah what comes around goes around.

But this is likely to hurt Irish workers that were in no position of power to inflict poor pay and working conditions on Polish workers here.

I also think the notices are slightly insensitive and stir up feelings from the past when No Irish signs were in the UK and the US.

In any case, regardless of how poorly Polish workers were treated here, those signs are against EC law(non discrimination of nationality and racial legislation).

Though it is worrying how many Polish feel towards the Irish and Ireland after their bad experiences and exploition during their stay here.
    I thought the Poles all loved us. Hundreds of nauseating postings on this site said so!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think the greatest threat to Irish builders is themselves.
    They (not all) have lost the hunger to work, and have become overpaid,arrogant and lazy. Some wouldn't even get out of bed for less than a grand a week.
    This attitude will soon change though.
    Incidentally, I've worked in building sites for 20 years and I've seen the changes.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I should also add that this story was picked up and reported on Lunch time news - RTE I think if not Newstalk also. Its not just coming from the Belfast Telegraph.

And now also in the Irish Independent:

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...k-1589265.html

Aidan

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James Connolly View Post
    What are "indigenous Irish"? Are we like some tribe of American Indians?

I'm Irish. Drop that silly word "indigenous". If people in Ireland are not Irish they're foreigners.

Is that too complicated for you?

Whats wrong with American Indians.

I apologise if you do not like being called indigenous but its not a derogatory term.

I am not in favour of immigration at a level where ruthless employers can treat workers, Irish or otherwise as badly as they have done in the last few years and will treat even worse in the current situation.

I believe that we have many of the same values and am surprised by the confrontational tone of your post.

I am more sympathetic to the palistinians than the Israeli's if that makes any difference.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast