Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noel Whelan: compare and contrast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Noel Whelan: compare and contrast

Noel Whelan is a well-known Fianna Fáil supporter and one-time electoral candidate. He has a regular column in the Irish Times.

Reading his piece in today's paper (Saturday 27th December), I thought Politics.ie users might be interested in drawing some comparisons with a piece of his from roughly 3 months ago.

4th October: The Cowen Government comes of age - The Irish Times - Sat, Oct 04, 2008
    27th December: Need to resist demand for superficial fix - The Irish Times - Sat, Dec 27, 2008

I won't take the time to cut and paste some, ahem, contrasting points of view. Well, maybe later.

In the meantime, can anyone answer: what's the point of this clown, apart from shameless party hackery? And on a scale of 1 to 10, how completely f--ked are Fianna Fáil if this is the best that a leading supporter, a practicing barrister, can come up with?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Libero View Post
    Noel Whelan is a well-known Fianna Fáil supporter and one-time electoral candidate. He has a regular column in the Irish Times.

Reading his piece in today's paper (Saturday 27th December), I thought Politics.ie users might be interested in drawing some comparisons with a piece of his from roughly 3 months ago.

4th October: The Cowen Government comes of age - The Irish Times - Sat, Oct 04, 2008
    27th December: Need to resist demand for superficial fix - The Irish Times - Sat, Dec 27, 2008

I won't take the time to cut and paste some, ahem, contrasting points of view. Well, maybe later.

In the meantime, can anyone answer: what's the point of this clown, apart from shameless party hackery? And on a scale of 1 to 10, how completely f--ked are Fianna Fáil if this is the best that a leading supporter, a practicing barrister, can come up with?

This type of stuff would be bearable if the writer was a gobsh*te, but he is not, he is a party hack spinning. What is amazing is the damage that is being done to the Irish Times seems not to bother anyone involved with the paper.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I suggest you do consider today's piece with a little bit more time than you have done. Think about where we were 21 years ago and far we have come. Think about the fact that thousands born between 79 and 90, had the option to remain in their country of birth and work here. Reconsider the importance of over two million people in employment and the greater participation of women. Reevaluate the road and rail network to how it was to where it is going. Think about the diverse job base we now have. Think about how better educated people are now. And better paid too. And think about how the pension and child benefit have increased as well.
    In short, THINK, don't give us a knee jerk.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Question R24U View Post
    I suggest you do consider today's piece with a little bit more time than you have done. Think about where we were 21 years ago and far we have come. Think about the fact that thousands born between 79 and 90, had the option to remain in their country of birth and work here. Reconsider the importance of over two million people in employment and the greater participation of women. Reevaluate the road and rail network to how it was to where it is going. Think about the diverse job base we now have. Think about how better educated people are now. And better paid too. And think about how the pension and child benefit have increased as well.
    In short, THINK, don't give us a knee jerk.

I think.

You know what I THINK?

I THINK Fianna Fail are corrupt gangsters who have robbed our country and brought it to the verge of ruin, indeed through their mass importation of foreigners have changed the very fabric of our nation and left the Irish people of this and future generations to face countless social and racial problems.

That's what I THINK!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

James C, i will [leave]aside your inaccurate racist rant and concentrate on one line you said 'we are on the verge of ruin'. Really? You think a drop from being the fourth wealthiest nation constitutes ruin. You think employment falling by twenty thousand is a disaster. You consider a budget deficit at a time of international recession to be imprudent. You object to borrowing to invest, when we have a low national debt. Do you really think we are ruined?
    That is buying into hysteria, not thinking.
    Last edited by Question R24U; 27th December 2008 at 02:52 PM. Reason: add omitted word

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Question R24U View Post
    James C, i will aside your inaccurate racist rant .

Where is the "inaccurate racist rant"? Please justify your slur or else withdraw it.

This slur is straight from the Fianna Fail playbook. Scream "racist" at all and sundry.

Witness the simpering fool Conor Lenehan and his attacks on anyone who suggested reforms in migration policy. Or the inane Hanahan and her contemptible use of the same word you used.

Who came up with that tactic? Noel Whelan?

Fianna Fail- useless and inefficient at everything but lies and corruption.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nothing worse than a hack who is presented as being some sort of neutral observer.
    Backroom in SBP is another one, seems to have a permanent obsession with what the opposition are doing, forgetting that they're merely a collection of TDs with no actual power.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He appears on the page to try to balance garret fitz. That might be a clue to those not familiar with his long and continuing history with ff (i say try because both men are fans of cowen)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hopi watcher View Post
    This type of stuff would be bearable if the writer was a gobsh*te, but he is not, he is a party hack spinning. What is amazing is the damage that is being done to the Irish Times seems not to bother anyone involved with the paper.
    The Lisbon Times used to be a good newspaper once. Perhaps one of the biggest mistakes was appointing Kennedy editor. I sometimes wonder if even Tintin would have been a better editor.

Regards...jmcc

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tin tin as editor, the letters page would have be addressed as Citizen,. While i may not agree with him all the time, the quality of the produce would certainly be better than the current offering. But its a no to noel whelan as editor i suppose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast