Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 152 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Ireland's worst columnist.

Default Ireland's worst columnist.

Help needed here!They appear to be self replicating like Agent Smith.God be with the days when it was just Myers and the Cruiser.Who is this awful Hellish O Hanlon viper? Then we have the Daily Wail fuelled return of Mary Ellen Slime-on. But who,in your opinion, is the bull goose rentagob de nos jours?

Send preferences ,please ,with a little background as well.They may be :self serving,glib,facile,sneering ,bigoted,economical with the actualite or just physically repellent.Or ,indeed,some combination of the above.

I'll start the ball rolling with Ian O Doherty,who ,hilariously,described the later period John Lennon as 'fat'.
    Sadly, in more ways than one,O Doherty's column comes with a picture by-line.

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Brendan O'Connor, fawning sycophancy for O'Reilly's favoured ones, including the liar Ahern, plus for dead cokehead models, bullying vilification for those outside the tent. A prime example of the quality of his work from July 2007:

SO THE sky is falling in again. The Irish stock market is apparently in meltdown, because of the housing market, which is also apparently in meltdown. The level of property horror stories is at an all-time high and everyone is tripping over each other to predict even greater gloom than the next guy.
    Tell you what, I think I know what I'd be doing if I had money, and if I wasn't already massively over-exposed to the property market by virtue of owning a reasonable home. I'd be buying property. In fact, I might do it anyway. You don't even need money to buy property these days. Imagine if you walked into the bank and said, "Listen, guys. I want to gamble a million on the stock market. I have 100 grand myself, will you guys lend me 900 grand at really low rates and I'll pay you back over 40 years? In fact I won't even pay off the principal, I'll just pay off the interest." They'd laugh you out of it. But substitute gambling on the property market for gambling on the stock market and they'll fall over themselves to give it to you.
    So why would I be buying property right now if I could? Well, for starters, property is good value these days. It's certainly cheaper than it was six months ago. While the official figures on aggregate surveys are talking about drops of two to three per cent in property prices, anyone who is out there in the jungle will tell you that it is a buyer's market bigtime.
    And how he described those that quibbled about what was occurring:

This is not to say everything is rosy in the garden, but then you know that. The vultures of doom who have been circling for years waiting to be right eventually are having a field day.
    So, you know, maybe the sky is falling in, but maybe you should think twice before you follow the Chicken Lickens of the media into Foxy Loxy's dark cave.
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/an...w-1047118.html

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

its noel whelan in the irish times - bad writing, no insight, utterly predictable. i dont care if i agree with a writer or not as long as it is interesting, maybe provocative and deep - Whelan is just completely banal

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sarak2 View Post
    its noel whelan in the irish times - bad writing, no insight, utterly predictable. i dont care if i agree with a writer or not as long as it is interesting, maybe provocative and deep - Whelan is just completely banal
    Whelan should add 'Noel Whelan is a failed former Fianna Fail election candidate' as a by-line at the end of each column, an interest I feel should be declared.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I cannot stand Breda O Brien. There was a tradition of excellent women writers at the Times, Carol Coulter, Kitty and Mary Holland, Karen Lillington. This current appalling editor has utterly destroyed that fine tradition by degrading the times in a consistent display of non-chalant disregard for traditions. B'OB has really got to go!
    Last edited by Christine Murray; 21st December 2008 at 12:59 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sinead Ryan - Evening Herald. A waste of paper and ink.
    Roisin Ingle - Irish Times. It staggers belief, but they actually replaced Nuala O'Faolain with this cretin.
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Eoghan Harris- Pure Bluster
    John Waters - Pure verbiage
    David Quinn - Pure propaganda

Politics.ie Member evercloserunion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Has to be Kevin Myers, who I think needs no introduction, for his sensationalist and often racist articles just to grab attention.
    Last edited by evercloserunion; 20th December 2008 at 07:56 PM. Reason: articles, not headlines
    To live honestly, to hurt no one, to give every one his due.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by evercloserunion View Post
    Has to be Kevin Myers, who I think needs no introduction, for his sensationalist and often racist headlines just to grab attention.
    funny, i'd have considered Myers, thought provoking, intelligent, and insightful.......

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't think he chooses his headlines the Indo does. As I remember it he didn't want headlines on his articles but the Indo forced the issue when he moved there

Page 1 of 152 123451151101 ... LastLast