Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 49

Thread: Billy Timmins- A belated rising star?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Kildare
    Posts
    474
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Billy Timmins- A belated rising star?

    Billy Timmins (though with a seemingly admirable background as an Officer in the Defence Forces) never really impressed me on the national stage.. up until now.
    Watched his performance on Q&A on Monday 15th Dec and he came across excellently. He was clear, concise, passionate, convincing, and spoke with authority and impact on his brief which included Lisbon.

    I have never really followed him, but did anyone feel the same, or is it just I haven't heard very much from him.

    If he continues with this, he will add immeasurably to the front bench coming up to the next GE.
    Last edited by geraghd; 20th December 2008 at 05:09 PM.
    Ireland interests are best secured within a more dynamic EU. Vote YES to Lisbon.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Dublin NSide and Belfast 15
    Posts
    1,250
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Q and A from Monday past?
    He was dismally rubbish, even with so many easy punches to land on the government.
    He made Micheal Martin look polished, which was difficult given the fact that Martin was being filletted in stereo by Mary-Lou and that Simons gal from Libertas at the time.
    FG really need to cop on and sort out their front bench. For every Jim Reilly or Richard Bruton, it appears that there is still some superannuated, out-of-their-depth, time-server like Timmins.
    Rising star? Only to the most one-eyed of Blueshirts. Face facts - he's useless. That's why you haven't heard very much from him in the past.
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Oppenheimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Behind you!
    Posts
    1,461
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JCSkinner View Post
    Q and A from Monday past?
    He was dismally rubbish, even with so many easy punches to land on the government.
    He made Micheal Martin look polished, which was difficult given the fact that Martin was being filletted in stereo by Mary-Lou and that Simons gal from Libertas at the time.
    FG really need to cop on and sort out their front bench. For every Jim Reilly or Richard Bruton, it appears that there is still some superannuated, out-of-their-depth, time-server like Timmins.
    Rising star? Only to the most one-eyed of Blueshirts. Face facts - he's useless. That's why you haven't heard very much from him in the past.
    Would agree that Mary-Lou seems to be sticking more to the substance this time, but Simons filleting Martin - give us a break, she was patendly uncomfortable with remembering the facts she needed to get out of her brain(?) in the Treaty section and was clueless in any other question raised that evening. She will need to polish up on her memory skills on wider current affairs issues if Libertas intend running her in Dublin which I believe is the intention.
    We are "they"

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Dublin NSide and Belfast 15
    Posts
    1,250
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oppenheimer View Post
    Would agree that Mary-Lou seems to be sticking more to the substance this time, but Simons filleting Martin - give us a break, she was patendly uncomfortable with remembering the facts she needed to get out of her brain(?) in the Treaty section and was clueless in any other question raised that evening. She will need to polish up on her memory skills on wider current affairs issues if Libertas intend running her in Dublin which I believe is the intention.
    I'm simply telling it as I saw it.
    Simons destroyed Martin, waving a treaty in his face that he wants us to sign off on, but that he hasn't read himself. He came across as a blustering fool in response.
    I'm not party political. I would be suspicious of Libertas and outright hostile to Sinn Fein. But I can only describe what I saw on last Monday's show - the women performed excellently, the Minister poorly, and that slackjaw from Fine Gael was beyond pointless.
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Kildare
    Posts
    474
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JCSkinner View Post
    I'm simply telling it as I saw it.
    Simons destroyed Martin, waving a treaty in his face that he wants us to sign off on, but that he hasn't read himself. He came across as a blustering fool in response.
    I'm not party political. I would be suspicious of Libertas and outright hostile to Sinn Fein. But I can only describe what I saw on last Monday's show - the women performed excellently, the Minister poorly, and that slackjaw from Fine Gael was beyond pointless.

    Well I couldn't disagree with your analysis more. Whilst Simons came across as an excellent communicator her "stunt" with the Minister was fairly mute, if not a bit embarassing, especially when Martin then gave her something to read which she wouldn't herself. In other words she was given her own medicine and actually responded less well than Martin did when she waved the treaty at him. She looked a tad like a pechalent child than a serious debater.
    Ireland interests are best secured within a more dynamic EU. Vote YES to Lisbon.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JCSkinner View Post
    Q and A from Monday past?
    He was dismally rubbish, even with so many easy punches to land on the government.
    He made Micheal Martin look polished, which was difficult given the fact that Martin was being filletted in stereo by Mary-Lou and that Simons gal from Libertas at the time.
    FG really need to cop on and sort out their front bench. For every Jim Reilly or Richard Bruton, it appears that there is still some superannuated, out-of-their-depth, time-server like Timmins.
    Rising star? Only to the most one-eyed of Blueshirts. Face facts - he's useless. That's why you haven't heard very much from him in the past.
    Timmins looks and sounds like a redneck. But when you can get past that prejudice, he usually has something sensible and considered to say.
    As for Mary-Lou and Simons filleting anyone - I don't think so. Waving the treaty was Ganley's prize stunt last time out. But Like McDowell going up the pole, it won't work twice.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    26,072
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Was that the man who made the stupid comment about Ganley dinning in the Shelbourne

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Dublin NSide and Belfast 15
    Posts
    1,250
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geraghd View Post
    Well I couldn't disagree with your analysis more. Whilst Simons came across as an excellent communicator her "stunt" with the Minister was fairly mute, if not a bit embarassing, especially when Martin then gave her something to read which she wouldn't herself. In other words she was given her own medicine and actually responded less well than Martin did when she waved the treaty at him. She looked a tad like a pechalent child than a serious debater.
    Dude, you could hardly be considered agnostic on this issue, given your sig.
    You are ideologically prevented from agreeing with my analysis, which as I said has the benefit over yours of being without added agenda.
    Give it a rest for once and deal with the title topic.
    Timmins a rising star?
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wouldn't they like to know.
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geraghd View Post
    Billy Timmins (though with a seemingly admirable background as an Officer in the Defence Forces) never really impressed me on the national stage.. up until now.
    Watched his performance on Q&A on Monday 15th Dec and he came across excellently. He was clear, concise, passionate, convincing, and spoke with authority and impact on his brief which included Lisbon.

    I have never really followed him, but did anyone feel the same, or is it just I haven't heard very much from him.

    If he continues with this, he will add immeasurably to the front bench coming up to the next GE.
    Hope you are right

    Because, if Timmins is positioned for this role, he will make sure that Fine Gael go nowhere.

    The guy is clueless. A bit player, Mary Lou McDonald was miles ahead.

    Other than Richard Bruton, this appears to be all you have to offer

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Darren Mac an Phríora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baile Átha Cliath
    Posts
    2,697
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Last Monday was the first time I had ever seen Billy Timmins on Q&A. He was very good.


    Quote Originally Posted by Parnella View Post
    Other than Richard Bruton, this appears to be all you have to offer
    And Leo Varadkar, James Reilly, Brian Hayes, Olwyn Enright, Fergus O' Dowd, Charlie Flanagan, Michael Ring, Alan Shatter and Simon Coveney wouldn't make great ministers?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •