Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Enda Kenny honours Anti-Semite Oliver J. Flanagan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Enda Kenny honours Anti-Semite Oliver J. Flanagan

http://www.finegael.ie/fine-gael-new.../page/aid/138/

I think it is entirely inappropriate and disgusting that the leader of FG should honour such a man. Flanagan was a raving anti-Semite.

Shortly after being elected to the Dáil he said:

"There is one thing that Germany did and that was to rout the Jews out of their country. Until we rout the Jews out of this country it does not matter a hair's breadth what orders you make. Where the bees are there is honey, and where the Jews are there is money."

Do people here believe that Flanagan deserved such an honour? And I'm particularly interested to hear what the FGers think of this.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have a feeling that BarryW and friends will be avoiding this little gaffe for a while!!
    An eye for an eye makes us all blind
    Mohandas Gandhi

Economic Left/Right: -5.88
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.13

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another reason not to vote Fine Gael.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

FG are honouring Griffith at the end of the month, who was also a raving anti-semite. Since they've also had Jewish TDs like Shatter, maybe it's a rural thing for them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can't recall any high profile Jewish SF-ers while Fine Gael have had Alan Shatter, Fianna Fáil the Briscoes and Labour had Mervyn Taylor.

As for Oliver J. Flanagan's comments - one could nit-pick and say that when he made them he wasn't a Fine Gael member. He didn't become a Fine Gael TD until later in his career. One could also talk about Seán Russell's time in the Third Reich.

Personally I find Flanagan's comments repugnant as would most other Fine Gael members. However, he was a long-time representative of the people of Laois-Offaly (1943-1987), and if they want to mark his service and its positive contribution that is their right.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what did he do that he's getting honour'd for? Is he the one that made a speach in frount of the Free state army calling the president of the free state at the time a disgrase or something beceuse the president at the time cerbal o dalaigh was refering legislation think it was offences against the state act. making out the president was disloyal when he was doing his job and refused to apologise. Is that him?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

bob briscoe started out in SF.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ON THE ONE ROAD
    what did he do that he's getting honour'd for? Is he the one that made a speach in frount of the Free state army calling the president of the free state at the time a disgrase or something beceuse the president at the time cerbal o dalaigh was refering legislation think it was offences against the state act. making out the president was disloyal when he was doing his job and refused to apologise. Is that him?
    Another Shinner who should ask Santy for a Junior Cert history book!
    "The IRA Army Council have a history of telling the truth. If they say they didn't do it, then I believe them" - Bertie Ahern, speaking after the murder of Det. Garda Jerry McCabe

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

was that duggan, yeah history not the best doing this from memory . Wasen't there something cringe worthy that flanagan came out with thaught there was more than the jew's and money comment, maybe that was it?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's somewhat unfortunate that Oliver J Flanagan, unlike the pantheon of great SF/IRA heroes, confined his anti-semitism to mere words.

Unless I'm mistaken I don't believe he was given a military funeral from a German U-boat, wrapped in a swastika like Sean Russell, neither did he assist the lufftwaffe in bombing his native city like the late great Joe Cahill, nor for that matter did he attempt to recruit Irish POWs serving with the British Army into the Waffen SS like that great Republican icon Frank Ryan.

I believe, like Russell, Cahill and Ryan he would have had to have taken his 'patriotism' a stage further to be regarded as worthy of commemoration by the keepers of the true Republican flame.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast