Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I am doing that because I don't want this to happen to any other women

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default I am doing that because I don't want this to happen to any other women

"At an age at which I should be putting on a wedding dress, I am asking for someone's eyes to be dripped with acid. I am doing that because I don't want this to happen to any other women"

- Electrical technician Ameneh Bahrami.

Iranian Woman Blinded by Spurned Suitor Persuades Court to Punish Him Similarly - washingtonpost.com

Is she wrong?

<Mod> This thread has been merged with "An eye for an eye - Iran court allows victim to blind culprit". </Mod>
    Last edited by stringjack; 1st April 2009 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Merged thread.
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes. She should have asked for the death penalty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by He3 View Post
    "At an age at which I should be putting on a wedding dress, I am asking for someone's eyes to be dripped with acid. I am doing that because I don't want this to happen to any other women"

- Electrical technician Ameneh Bahrami.

Iranian Woman Blinded by Spurned Suitor Persuades Court to Punish Him Similarly - washingtonpost.com

Is she wrong?
    Quite literally an eye for an eye.

Totally f**ked up. I can't say how I would feel if I was in her position and had been so horifically maimed, but in a civilized society he would get an incredibly lengthy prison sentence.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by He3 View Post

Is she wrong?
    Under Islamic Law, no.

Interesting comparrison is that under Mosaic law the standard is "“Whatever is hurtful to you, do not do to any other person".
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    Under Islamic Law, no.

Interesting comparrison is that under Mosaic law the standard is "“Whatever is hurtful to you, do not do to any other person".
    Hebrews obviously didn't have a zero tolerance approach to crime...

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Theres a picture in this article of before and after

JUSTICE Will Be Served - Human Rights - HRLaws: Her Name is Ameneh Bahrami and She Wished No Harm........So Why Harm Her?.........Iran Acid Attack

As far as I'm concerned an animal like that should burn in hell. In my opinion his sentence is too lenient. He will be blinded but he still will look normal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

These attacks are more common than one would think and not just in Islamic cultures. Hopefully, the sentence will be carried out and others will think twice before they allow their egos to get the better of them.

Dublin South Central - South West Inner City Ward
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

By asking for a similar punishment, she has ultimately further punished herself. Revenge is a deadly evil and all she is doing by wanting to to the same to him is letting us all know she is no better than he.

An eye for an eye is a stupid punishment and proves nothing other that the victim is little better than the perpetrator.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its like a nightmare, isn't it? And as Cookiemonster says its against the teachings of the Koran. Its one of the reasons that "blood money" is usually asked for from the victim or the family of the victim although I'm sure some people would love to do the same to the guilty one. What a bloody disaster this world is. If there is a god he/she/it ought to be ashamed at what it has created.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by parakeet View Post

An eye for an eye is a stupid punishment and proves nothing other that the victim is little better than the perpetrator.
    How so? His attack on her was unwarranted and unprovpoked, it left her blinded in one eye, with the other removed, left her face horiffically disfigured and ruined her life.
    had he not done the above he would be in a position to recieve such a punishment, leagally allowed under islamic law.
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast