Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 47 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: euro at 90p thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default euro at 90p thread

Is it time to quit the euro at 80p thread that was so last april
    Its at 90p so how long before 1:1
    "We know what to do, we just dont know how to get elected afterwards" Jean-Claude Juncker on how to fix the European economy

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd say about a two or three months the way things are going.

Should be good for those near the border, although i heard people from Cork when shopping in Belfast last night.
    I was surprised how empty it was compared to last year when i went up, and i wasnt impressed with that Victoria square its too cold ,too expensive and its very poorly laid out.
    It takes about 3 times the lenth of time to walk around it as everything is across bridges and on different floors, you cant just walk from the start to the finish.
    Abstinence makes the Church grow fondlers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by st333ve View Post
    I'd say about a two or three months the way things are going.

Should be good for those near the border, although i heard people from Cork when shopping in Belfast last night.
    I was surprised how empty it was compared to last year when i went up, and i wasnt impressed with that Victoria square its too cold ,too expensive and its very poorly laid out.
    It takes about 3 times the lenth of time to walk around it as everything is across bridges and on different floors, you cant just walk from the start to the finish.
    Did you pay for the parking below it? After that you can only afford the charity shops.
    "You Popish rogue" 'ní leomhaid a labhairt sinn
    acht "Cromwellian dog" is focal faire againn
    nó "cia súd thall" go eann gan eagla
    "Mise Tadhg" géadh teinn an t-agallamh

Bodaigh an Cháise táid go hatuireach
    ag filleadh ar a gcéird gach spéice smeartha aca
    gan ghunna, gan chloidheamh gan pinnse chleachtadar
    d'imthigh a mbrígh is tá an cridhe dá ghreada aca.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How long before the UK adopts the Euro?. Before the end of 09?. Mandy has got a hard on for the Euro.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

€ At 90p. Where is it going to go? I think the trend upwards will continue for the € given the interest rate differential and the mutterings of the German Finance Minister. The technicals also point to a short term move up for the €. Room to go to 94p but will retrace some of the major move. A lot depends on the way the dollar behaves right now since "Anglo-Saxon" currencies tend to trend in a block over time. And the main action is in the dollar. € v $ at 1.3350 having gone above 1.34. Expect the move up again next week towards 1.40 before technicals point to the dollar being oversold. 4 of the main technical indicators still point to € strength, however, so £0.94 and $1.38 definitely within reach next week.
    Fianna Fail - The Loss of Sovereignty Party.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by forest View Post
    Is it time to quit the euro at 80p thread that was so last april
    Its at 90p so how long before 1:1
    Well it's happened, according the Observer, and the pound is now worth €.918

Who would have thought it would happen so fast?

Pound slips below euro on Britain's high streets | Business | The Observer

The government is facing a growing backlash over its rescue package for the economy after the pound slumped to below parity with the euro on British high streets and at airports for the first time since the single European currency was launched a decade ago.

Sterling's decline to a value of less than a euro, after commission charges, is seen by economists and opposition politicians as a pivotal 'psychological moment' - and evidence of declining faith in the British economy on global currency markets.

Last night, as skiing operators and other holiday companies across the UK reported customers shunning expensive trips in favour of cut-price deals, Currency Exchange on London's Oxford Street was selling euros for as little as €1.0532 to the pound. After commission and a handling fee, however, €18 cost The Observer £19.61, an exchange rate of €0.918 to the pound.

Tories and Liberal Democrats laid the blame for the pound's collapse firmly at the door of Gordon Brown. Philip Hammond, shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury, said the Prime Minister's decision in the pre-Budget report to let borrowing soar to fund £20bn of tax cuts had severely damaged - rather than boosted - economic confidence and people's willingness to spend.
    Last edited by draiocht23; 14th December 2008 at 02:50 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The rate for the £ right now is 0.8938. COmposite trend indicators show the € is still bullish and the OB/OS index as neutral. So still room for the € to move up but the upwards move showing signs of tiring.
    Techs: RSI is neutral, Stochastic 13,3,3 is neutral, MACD (25,9) is still "Buy" and volatility in the cross is dropping. No candlestick pattern. Supports at (1st) 0.8863, (2nd) at 0.8780 and (3rd) at 0.8713. If it goes below 0.8713, then expect a retracement back to 0.8450. Resistance (1st) seen at 0.9013, (2nd) at 0.9080 and (3rd) at 0.9162.

Good luck if you are trading this.
    Fianna Fail - The Loss of Sovereignty Party.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

WIthout saying we told you so, Sinn Féin was the only significant party that argued against joining the Euro.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by factual View Post
    WIthout saying we told you so, Sinn Féin was the only significant party that argued against joining the Euro.
    Except that you keep saying this all the time, and that it has nothing to do with the current value of the respective currencies.

If we still had the Punt, and it still existed after 10 years of currency speculation, it would be equivalent in value to the Pound, given that SF's economic policy basically amounts to us being a Client State of the United Kingdom.
    A demagogue is someone who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by factual View Post
    Where do you think we'd be if we still had the Punt? Instead of bailing our banks out, the IMF would be bailing us out a la Iceland.

Page 1 of 47 1234511 ... LastLast