Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 55

Thread: Rip-off Ireland, yet again!

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member QuizMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    North Inishowen
    Posts
    3,207
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Rip-off Ireland, yet again!

    A camera in Argos, available in the North for 78.29 : link
    The same camera in Argos.ie for 119.99 : link
    At the time of posting, this equates to 104.49 sterling.

    I think it's our patriotic duty to boycott such un-patriotic ripoffs and head north!
    If there is a future, it will be Green.

  2. #2
    Gimpanzee
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QuizMaster View Post
    A camera in Argos, available in the North for 78.29 : link
    The same camera in Argos.ie for 119.99 : link
    At the time of posting, this equates to 104.49 sterling.

    I think it's our patriotic duty to boycott such un-patriotic ripoffs and head north!
    You'd have to know what the exchange rate was when the Catalog was compiled - almost certainly done when sterling was stronger.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    366
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QuizMaster View Post
    A camera in Argos, available in the North for 78.29 : link
    The same camera in Argos.ie for 119.99 : link
    At the time of posting, this equates to 104.49 sterling.

    I think it's our patriotic duty to boycott such un-patriotic ripoffs and head north!
    Ok for you, you live in Donegal... you'd need to be saving a few more bob to make it worth travelling from Tipp... and anyway.. buy off Ebay, get it cheaper again

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member H.R. Haldeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,464
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Rip off Ireland is on its last legs. People have rumbled the scamming that has been going on and will not indulge piss-taking sellers anymore. In my opinion, we are going to see serious price drops in almost everything in the coming year. You already see it in supermarkets with all the 2-for-1 and 33% off offers. I expect the same on everything from cameras to cars to houses to plasma TVs to meals out to pints to flowers, whatever.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member seabhcan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    14,309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H.R. Haldeman View Post
    Rip off Ireland is on its last legs. People have rumbled the scamming that has been going on and will not indulge piss-taking sellers anymore. In my opinion, we are going to see serious price drops in almost everything in the coming year. You already see it in supermarkets with all the 2-for-1 and 33% off offers. I expect the same on everything from cameras to cars to houses to plasma TVs to meals out to pints to flowers, whatever.
    There are already reasonably good sales on in the shops. Did my christmas shopping for about 100 less than last year.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member QuizMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    North Inishowen
    Posts
    3,207
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Checking a few things at random, the entire Argos catalogue seems to be priced as if a euro = 66.6p

    This was done in the last few months when the euro was closer to 80p. Now it's over 87p.
    Catalogs can't change with fluctuating currencies, but people can!
    If there is a future, it will be Green.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member seabhcan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    14,309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QuizMaster View Post
    Checking a few things at random, the entire Argos catalogue seems to be priced as if a euro = 66.6p

    This was done in the last few months when the euro was closer to 80p. Now it's over 87p.
    Catalogs can't change with fluctuating currencies, but people can!
    Some of the UK shops in the south price on the basis of a :55p rate, which hasn't been true since 2003.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Aindriu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Posts
    8,689
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QuizMaster View Post
    Checking a few things at random, the entire Argos catalogue seems to be priced as if a euro = 66.6p

    This was done in the last few months when the euro was closer to 80p. Now it's over 87p.
    Catalogs can't change with fluctuating currencies, but people can!
    No but Argos can start sales and reduce prices in accordance with the current exchange rates can't they? I know of 2 people that have taken goods back to Argos here and are heading north to buy the same items there.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member seabhcan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    14,309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I've had an idea for a website bouncing around in my head for a while.

    A kind of wikipedia for prices. Users would enter the price and location they bought a particular item. The item would be categorised by type, etc.

    When you wanted to buy something, you could search for the best price. You could also enter a long list of items (your weekly shopping list) and it would tell you the best place over all)

    Whats holding me back is I can't think of a way to keep it accurate. You don't wan't vandals or the shops themselves editing the prices.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Iarmhi
    Posts
    3,859
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    I've had an idea for a website bouncing around in my head for a while.

    A kind of wikipedia for prices. Users would enter the price and location they bought a particular item. The item would be categorised by type, etc.

    When you wanted to buy something, you could search for the best price. You could also enter a long list of items (your weekly shopping list) and it would tell you the best place over all)

    Whats holding me back is I can't think of a way to keep it accurate. You don't wan't vandals or the shops themselves editing the prices.
    Good Idea - I like it....

    I would just get a product - mention its discription and show where it can be bought for the cheapest... Up to the registered users to compile and control - Like Wikipedia

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •