Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Richard Bruton - The Mr Nice Guy of Irish politics

Politics.ie Member droghedasouth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Richard Bruton - The Mr Nice Guy of Irish politics

The anti-Lisbon eurosceptic obession has demeaned this website for far too long.
    By contrast, I am amazed that p.ie has passed over the best political profile of the politician of the year in today's IT.

The Mr Nice Guy of Irish politics - The Irish Times - Sat, Dec 06, 2008

Measured and mature even on something as sensitive as the strengths and weaknesses of Enda Kenny.
    Shows that there is some hope for the future.

At one level, no one argues more persuasively for the retention of Enda Kenny as leader, with repeated reference to his success at "dramatically" broadening the party base. At another, there is no false modesty about his own role in this. "If you look back to where we were in 2002, we had to rebuild our economic credibility and that we have done - and I suppose I've been central to that". But where another pretender might stop right there, he carries on, with scrupulous fairness, to play up Enda's role: "There has been an element of strategy, a corporate approach that has been pursued . . . In ways that you don't see, he is a very good motivator".

THE DIFFICULTY IS those pesky polls . . . and even those devout Fine Gaelers who sense that Enda Kenny lacks the charisma/gravitas/ muscular image to heave that ball over the line. He wonders at people's notion of a "leader". "Everyone said of Brian Cowen 'isn't he the ideal Taoiseach, 'the man', 'the decision-maker who appeared to have an air of strength about him'. Well, they got it . . ." he says, with a cheerful shrug. "Enda is clearly in the chairman-not-the-chief style . . . He's a corporate-style leader; he involves everyone."

But if the floating voter remains unconvinced by him, what's the point? "I'm not saying that Enda is perfect in all his presentation of it . . . We have to work on the strength and perception of him. There is room for improvement . . . I think that people who see him on the small box for 30 seconds don't see the full picture of Enda Kenny. He has to get through an election campaign in a system that is increasingly presidential and you don't have to tell him that . . . And if you look at the big picture, what is the role of a leader?".

Tiochfaidh ar la.
    There are times when you are simply required to be impolite. There are times when condescension is called for!
    - Aaron Sorkin writing as President Bartlet to Obama, NYT 21/09/2008

You can't build a smart economy based on dumb decisions.
    - Richard Bruton 18/12/2008

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would prefer Enda as Taoiseach to Bruton, because of the latter's support for allowing non-citizens here to vote in General Elections (because I feel it undermines citizenship - especially the point of it - and could lead to Irish people being forced down roads we don't want to go in referenda and elections). However it is hard not to admire the energy with which Richard Bruton has brought reform of the public-sector and the need to curb public-sector waste and rationalise agencies and end pointless duplication of resources to the center of political-debate. This has undoubtedly helped the party make inroads with former PD voters for whom that sort of thing matters. The question is -as always - whether Labour will tolerate the the implementation of these plans. Experience of the 1980's suggests not, but we shall see in time. But when Labour are criticising you, you know you're doing something right, and that is the case here too. Personally, I detect that the agenda of pushing RB in the media has less to do with a wish for him to become Taoiseach than it has to do with helping FF by stirring up divisions within FG. Are FF engaged in a whispering campaign in the press designed to foment such a result?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FutureTaoiseach View Post
    I would prefer Enda as Taoiseach to Bruton, because of the latter's support for allowing non-citizens here to vote in General Elections (because I feel it undermines citizenship - especially the point of it - and could lead to Irish people being forced down roads we don't want to go in referenda and elections).
    FT, Richard's proposals were to allow people who are working here legally and paying their taxes to have a voice in how their money is spent. I believe the proposal was that you had to be here for more than 3 years (or was it 5) continuously and working for all that time. People can already vote in the local elections this was purely for the general elections and there was no mention of referenda or the presidential elections from what I can recall.

What we really need is a proper legal concept of residency.
    Dan Sullivan. I was back but we still couldn't all have a vote. http://www.danielsullivan.ie/blog/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

FT, it is interesting to note your paranoid delusions are not confined to Europe. A FF conspiracy to cause divisions within FG by encouraging the promotion of Richard B in the press? I think not. Richard is head and shoulders ahead of his party colleagues, he gives the party credibility and FF would love to be rid of him (perhaps we should offer him the EU commissionership?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Would he take it though?
    Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are, and those few dare not oppose themselves to the opinion of the many, who have the majesty of the state to defend them.

- Niccolò Machiavelli

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wouldn't if i was in his position and was on the verge of becoming the next finance minister in the next 3 years (it is hard to see how even labour could prevent him getting the job). Another plus for FF would be that they would stand a half decent chance of gaining his seat (44%). Hmmm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Would be smart of them to gamble on it but I don't see him taking it. Not with the chance of it being Harney who will need to be sent somewhere if, after the reshuffle, is removed from health. Off course, we all remember the last time an FF government sent an FGer to Brussels...
    Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are, and those few dare not oppose themselves to the opinion of the many, who have the majesty of the state to defend them.

- Niccolò Machiavelli

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KingKane View Post
    FT, Richard's proposals were to allow people who are working here legally and paying their taxes to have a voice in how their money is spent. I believe the proposal was that you had to be here for more than 3 years (or was it 5) continuously and working for all that time. People can already vote in the local elections this was purely for the general elections and there was no mention of referenda or the presidential elections from what I can recall.

What we really need is a proper legal concept of residency.
    Is it official FG party policy or just his personal opinion? Does Enda Kenny agree with it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FutureTaoiseach View Post
    Is it official FG party policy or just his personal opinion? Does Enda Kenny agree with it?
    As I recall it was a piece of extemporaneous answer giving on his part during or before the election campaign. It might shock you to hear but people who are members of parties are allowed to answer questions that are put to them about matters that are not specifically covered in a party policy document, it's called having a brain of your own.

For example, FG doesn't have policy on what to do if aliens make first contact but that doesn't mean you won't find someone who would answer a question about the topic.
    Dan Sullivan. I was back but we still couldn't all have a vote. http://www.danielsullivan.ie/blog/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Richard Bruton- The compassionate conservative

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast