Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: UK shouldn't be allowed to join the Euro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default UK shouldn't be allowed to join the Euro

BBC NEWS | Politics | UK 'closer' to adopting the euro

The UK is "closer than ever before" to joining the euro, according to the European Commission's president.

Jose Manuel Barroso told French radio that British politicians were considering the move because of the effects of the global credit crunch.
    Are plans in the works to allow the UK into the Eurozone depite it breaching just about every membership criteria? It was a disaster when Italy and Greece were allowed in without being ready. Add the UK to the mix and the euro will float like an anchor.

The UK needs to be allowed to go bankrupt.

Duth Ealla

there is some serious opposition to having the UK join the Euro over there. How would Labour get away with bringing the UK into the Euro zone this side of an election.

it would be a huge electoral liability and even if it saved them somehow economically the electorate would not be impressed.

Dont think the Broon et al. will be too impressed to have Mr Barroso interfering.

Still the Brits are in a world of sh!t and a severe run on the pound would be scary.

I am guessing this would need to be passed through the house of commons to take effect. Could they muster the support.

Cant see the DUP and UUP voting for this. Or maybe Euro incentives are as good as Sterling incentives.

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The UK likes old Liz's head on their currency too much. They will never join the Euro. This is just the President of the EU blowing hot air.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Considering the fact that there would always be the political threat to withdraw, especially if a conservative government came to power, they could destabilise the entire currency. While it might be handy for us, they cannot be allowed join.
    “Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen” - Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

damn you I was about to post on this after reading it on Euobserver.
    I very much support the idea of the UK joining the euro, it would be a major victory for the pro EU stance in the UK and well in the rest of the EU
    I have always said that if the UK as a whole or any of its home nations individually joined the euro I would head over to London for those celebrations
    I would love and pray to see the great british pound confined to the dustbin of history were it belongs.

In saying this I understand were you are coming from I feel the UK needs to reach the criteria to join the euro as set out in Mastricht (although i am willing to allow flexibility)
    but if it does bring them on.

I head Thricket say a few weeks ago that he believes that the UK will join after the financial crisis (2010 or so)
    He and Barrosso would not be making such claims I feel if they did not believe it to be true

If the Uk and its still a big if does formally apply to join the eurozone (with or without a referendum) the government would have taken such a huge gamble taking on the red tops and other hostile media and anti eu influences in the UK that to denie them entry would be a big mistake

In related news some are predicting the pound could be worth less than a euro by summer
    "We know what to do, we just dont know how to get elected afterwards" Jean-Claude Juncker on how to fix the European economy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aindriu View Post
    The UK likes old Liz's head on their currency too much. They will never join the Euro. This is just the President of the EU blowing hot air.
    They will join if the economic crisis demands such action to prevent the pound being torn to shreds on the monetary markets.

'Old Liz's' head would still be on the Euro. It might grate more with die hard republicans this of the Irish Sea having such currency as legal tender here.
    Voters don't decide issues, they decide who will decide issues.

George Will

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Doyle View Post
    'Old Liz's' head would still be on the Euro. It might grate more with die hard republicans this of the Irish Sea having such currency as legal tender here.
    Only on the coins though. I wonder if they would stay in circulation in Ireland, or if shops would turn them into banks. You could end up with people not wanting them as change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ivnryn View Post
    Only on the coins though. I wonder if they would stay in circulation in Ireland, or if shops would turn them into banks. You could end up with people not wanting them as change.
    I honestly can't see that being a problem, especially in the medium to long term as the novelty wears off. I would imagine people don't inspect money by and large for reasons to be offended.
    Voters don't decide issues, they decide who will decide issues.

George Will

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ivnryn View Post
    Liz was the first King/queen to be on the notes as far as I know. She wont be around for ever and I think the brits wont be as sorry to see Charles's head replaced with a few bridges.

The Euro is longterm grift, a scam, we'd be better off with a new stirling silver based currency.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast