Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brathadóirí / Informers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Brathadóirí / Informers

Anybody watching this series of programmes offering a glimpse into the dirty war in the North?

Last week's episode dealt with the murder of Margaret Perry by a number of informers.

Tonights deals with a Garda involved with MI5.

22:15

Brathadoiri
    Documentary series on the role of informers during the Troubles.
    Why a garda who passed information from Republican paramilitaries to MI5 has never faced disciplinary action
    Previous episodes are available to watch here - TG4 Online

Just go to Faisnéis to find them.
    "I put down the welter of corruption in Irish politics to Burke's escape from retribution after that exposure in 1974. It gave everybody in the game a licence to steal."

- Joe MacAnthony

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I know informers seem to be everywhere, in every conflict, but we seem to have more than our fair share of them, or am I mistaken. We always seemed to have them when you read back on our history. And then the Reward for information on Libertas. I can guarantee that someone will do the dirty there. And yet the thought of informing on anyone, let alone putting lives at risk is repugnant to me. I did in fact complain to the Mods about that personal insult that got left for me, but I also put it out in a post so I wasn't doing it behind anyone's back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
    I know informers seem to be everywhere, in every conflict, but we seem to have more than our fair share of them, or am I mistaken. We always seemed to have them when you read back on our history. And then the Reward for information on Libertas. I can guarantee that someone will do the dirty there. And yet the thought of informing on anyone, let alone putting lives at risk is repugnant to me. I did in fact complain to the Mods about that personal insult that got left for me, but I also put it out in a post so I wasn't doing it behind anyone's back.
    I don't think it's a particularly Irish problem. You're going to get people who are motivated by greed or revenge all across the world.
    "I put down the welter of corruption in Irish politics to Burke's escape from retribution after that exposure in 1974. It gave everybody in the game a licence to steal."

- Joe MacAnthony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Although it was less than half an hour long, last nights programme dealt with more issues than just a Garda and his links to MI5. Many of these issues have been discussed on this site before.

- The Garda, codenamed The Badger, passing on information to the British. He has never been properly investigated, as he has threatened to tell the media everything he knows about the culture of Gardaí working for British Intelligence.

- The Crinnion / Wyman scandal

- The Dublin and Monaghan bombings

- The Baldonnell meeting and subsequent killings in the Republic by the British. According to the programme, the Gardaí have either never investigated, or not properly investigated, 12 murders.

- And then the case of Garda files being "lost"

In any other country this kind of stuff would rock the foundations of the state.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, corruption is a national emergency. We need a clear out of every crook running the country, not just to ensure that tax payers money is spent wisely, and planning matters are dealt with in an honest fashion, but also to ensure that those charged with national security are not compromised and working against the national interest.

- Joe MacAnthony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dasayev View Post
    Although it was less than half an hour long, last nights programme dealt with more issues than just a Garda and his links to MI5. Many of these issues have been discussed on this site before.

- The Garda, codenamed The Badger, passing on information to the British. He has never been properly investigated, as he has threatened to tell the media everything he knows about the culture of Gardaí working for British Intelligence.

- The Crinnion / Wyman scandal

- The Dublin and Monaghan bombings

- The Baldonnell meeting and subsequent killings in the Republic by the British. According to the programme, the Gardaí have either never investigated, or not properly investigated, 12 murders.

- And then the case of Garda files being "lost"

In any other country this kind of stuff would rock the foundations of the state.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, corruption is a national emergency. We need a clear out of every crook running the country, not just to ensure that tax payers money is spent wisely, and planning matters are dealt with in an honest fashion, but also to ensure that those charged with national security are not compromised and working against the national interest.

I just watched it (and three of the previous ones) last night, and it was a good program.

What blew my mind was that it seemed that the Dublin/Monaghan bombings came just at the time it would have been most helpful to cement an information sharing deal with the British.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought all that stuff was just Provo propaganda!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Young Ned View Post
    I just watched it (and three of the previous ones) last night, and it was a good program.

What blew my mind was that it seemed that the Dublin/Monaghan bombings came just at the time it would have been most helpful to cement an information sharing deal with the British.
    Seán Donlon seemed to state that the Irish government's reaction to the Dublin and Monaghan bombings was one of fear that the British would launch further attacks.

If there hadn't been an appropriate response [the establishment of the Joint Security Conference] from the Irish Government.. Limerick might have been next, Cork might have been next, Tullamore might have been next
    The information sharing deal was a one way street and a sham. Yorkshire Television in the 90s was able to uncover more information about Dublin and Monaghan, than the Gardaí could access back in the 70s.

- Joe MacAnthony

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The state is afraid to properly investigate Garda collusion with MI5 because it would lead to ex Fine Gael ministers.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by inchicore_republican View Post
    The state is afraid to properly investigate Garda collusion with MI5 because it would lead to ex Fine Gael ministers.
    And probably Fianna Fáil ministers or higher too.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dasayev View Post
    Seán Donlon seemed to state that the Irish government's reaction to the Dublin and Monaghan bombings was one of fear that the British would launch further attacks.

The information sharing deal was a one way street and a sham. Yorkshire Television in the 90s was able to uncover more information about Dublin and Monaghan, than the Gardaí could access back in the 70s.
    It was a well-put together documentary although I think it was simplistic in its explanation of the strategy behind Dublin-Monaghan. At the very least, yes, the bombs were planted to scare the bejaysus out of the Irish govt. and affect current security arrangements.

But their timing in relation to Sunningdale wasn't really tackled by the programme - it is possible that they were merely a further effort by MI5 to undermine the Sunningdale arrangement for domestic political purposes - eg. bring down Labour PM Harold Wilson.
    I have opinions of my own - strong opinions - but I don't always agree with them. - George Bush

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast