Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Go, Harvey, Go (Please!!)

Default Go, Harvey, Go (Please!!)

Irish Independent
    Thursday, Nov 27

Harvey regrets his Norman invasion

RETAIL giant Harvey Norman has compared Ireland's economic downturn to the return of the "potato famine", writes Billy Cantwell.

Speaking at yesterday's annual meeting, chief executive Gerry Harvey described the performance of his 13 Irish stores as "catastrophic" and said he regretted expanding into the Irish market. But he added that the investment was too big to pull out now....

... New Zealand, like Australia, its not that bad, but Ireland. Phew, just imagine you opened in Ireland; you'd want to go and cut your throat. The potato famine, someone said, the return of the potato famine in Ireland." ...

The company's CEO Katie Page said: "It's a depressing time for a lot of people, certainly for the executive directors here; we are working so hard, we wish that Ireland wouldn't return to a potato famine."

a related item:

Milk of human kindness curdles - Opinion: views on the news on Stuff.co.nz

Milk of human kindness curdles
    By ROSEMARY McLEOD (Dominion Post, New Zealand)

I'm no fan of whiteware, that ugly necessity, but I do know where I won't be buying any, even if the milk curdles, the laundry rots, and the butter trickles down the wall.

That's because I don't buy the recent reported utterances of Australian retail king Gerry Harvey, of Harvey Norman. The most you can say for them is that they are at least honest.

Mr Harvey, who is worth A$1.8 billion in money terms, was asked about the good works he and his business do in the community. He replied that giving money to people who "are not putting anything back into the community" is like "helping a whole heap of no-hopers to survive for no good reason".

Little did Charles Darwin imagine where his theory of evolution would lead. He supplied men like Mr Harvey with the idea of survival of the fittest, a charming notion just so long as you're fit and healthy yourself.

What an unpleasant, greedy creep!
    And, now that we have temporarily ceased to add to his fortune, he is bad-mouthing us in the international media.

I hope his remaining Irish customers now take their business elsewhere, thereby encouraging Harvey to act on his word and GO!

(today could be designated 'Harney and Harvey Day'!)
    Last edited by Utopian Hermit Monk; 27th November 2008 at 11:12 AM.
    You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have never set foot in one of his stores solely based on his ridiculous advertising style. Nor do I ever intend to buy anything from him.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What a ************************* imagine if he said the downturn in Israel was like the return of the holocaust.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Utopian Hermit Monk View Post

Mr Harvey, who is worth A$1.8 billion in money terms, was asked about the good works he and his business do in the community. He replied that giving money to people who "are not putting anything back into the community" is like "helping a whole heap of no-hopers to survive for no good reason".

Did he lift that bit from the PD's constitition?
    “A healthy social life is found only, when in the mirror of each soul the whole community finds its reflection, and when in the whole community the virtue of each one is living” R. Steiner

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The recession will be worth it if it means the end of those appalling radio commercials.

I've never been in any of his stores. I definitely won't be going in the future.
    When all else fails, you can always Kick the Cat.

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How can an Australian be a feckin Norman?
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fir Bolg View Post
    I have never set foot in one of his stores solely based on his ridiculous advertising style. Nor do I ever intend to buy anything from him.
    He is the Michael O'Leary of the Electronics Goods world.
    Voters don't decide issues, they decide who will decide issues.

George Will

Quote Originally Posted by Fir Bolg View Post
    That makes two of us (and I suspect many thousands of others too). If the HN shops were to close and those ads stop, I would see it as a benefit of the recession.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No more of those hysterical radio ads. Go Harvey Go!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its been a woeful year for retails selling expensive goods. By expensive I mean anything other than everyday items. Maybe he's just telling it like it is. I like that he's plain talking.
    Maybe if he hadn't come we'd all still be paying ESB prices for our appliances.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast