Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Senate

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Senate

A carbon copy of the Dail with the exception of the 6 university Senators, is there any reason to keep it?

Any reason for it to exist?
    "Were not Fianna Fail" is not an alternative vision for Ireland, GIVE US SOME POLICIES

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Carbon copy? Defend the suggestion please.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its panels are supposed to represent vocational and functional intrests.
    But it represents the major party composition of the Dail and very very rarely sends things back to the Dail for review.
    "Were not Fianna Fail" is not an alternative vision for Ireland, GIVE US SOME POLICIES

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh its great. A talking shop where anyone can say pretty much anything they like and have time to do it.
    Id hate to see it drastically reformed. However I think we should directly elect 26 of them, I for each county. 4 seats from the Dublin Universities and 4 from all other Universities.
    Then 20 left to be elected on the panels, and the remaining 6 nominated by the taoiseach. Giving grnad total of 60 which i think is the number they have at the moment.

Also very in favour of stregthening its powers, not by much though, probably to veto a bill indefinitly once 60% majority or something, and the party whip to be ruled out in all votes. something like that might work.
    Ireland interests are best secured within a more dynamic EU. Vote YES to Lisbon.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: The Senate

Quote Originally Posted by Badnarik_Eire
    A carbon copy of the Dail with the exception of the 6 university Senators, is there any reason to keep it?

Any reason for it to exist?
    Usual ignorant statement of Seanad critics.
    First, the Seanad is not a carbon copy of Dail Eireann. There are 60 members only, its elected completley differently to the Dail and it provides useful functions not much publicised.

Firstl of all, what do Senators and by extension, what does the Seanad do?
    It provides a debating chamber, to raise aspects and suggestions about a bill before it that the Dail may have neglected. I think you get the picture with this.
    While 99% of the time, the government will have a majority in the house, there is a possible exception to the rule as the 1994-97 rainbow gov. had to deal with a Seanad made up of FF members who were nominated by Reynolds. Thus, it could potentially be used as brakes on a government.
    Thirdly, seeing that clientalism, being visible in the community etc. is of quite importance to the value the public places on their Dail deputies, the Senators, who don't have a public representation and image to uphold to the same degree as their dail counterparts, are more freely available to work on drafting bills, debating bills and committee work. This is clearly ignored by critics of the Seanad or because they're unaware of it altogether.
    And finally, just because the Seanad isn't directly elected doesn't mean that its worthless. It is suppossed to be used to give a wide range of voices, under the vocational panel, ( a bit of corporate statism for you there), just because its under party lines doesn't make this party made inefficency a worthwhile case for abolition.
    And besides, I work hard in my elitist uni, to get my seanad vote. Everyone else is just jealous. And if one is to reform the Seanad, with what do you replace it with?
    Greatest forest in the history of trees.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Directly electing it would make it even more like a second dail.

Abolish it, it contributes nothing.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

NUI or U of D?
    Ireland interests are best secured within a more dynamic EU. Vote YES to Lisbon.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Abolish it, it contributes nothing.
    A very ignorant statment.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When was the last time it vetod a bill, when was the last time it introduced one that was passed? When was the last time someone was elected to one of the panels who was not a member of a political party?

Why don't you ever bother your arse looking anything up, rather than just asking these daft questions?

You want a Bill that was introduced in the Seanad? Here. Go play with that. There may be more but that's the only one I can think of off the top of my head. But then, I don't tend to pay too much attention to where Bills are introduced and frankly, I couldn't be bothered looking stuff up for someone who's too lazy to do anything for himself.
    Failed liberal traitors: http://cedarlounge.wordpress.com

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast