Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guantanamo Bay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation Guantanamo Bay

President Elect Obama wants to close Guantanamo, President Bush wants to close Guantanamo. Everyone wants to close the prison there but the question is what is to be done with the people that are there now?

Their home countries do not want them returned there or they will face execution, torture, or other atrocities if returned to their home countries.

My question is simple; what should be done with them? Should they be divided up and sent to friendlier European countries such as Ireland? The precedent has been set on this with the Palestinians from the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem.

Closing Guantanamo prison may be the easy part for Obama - Los Angeles Times

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Yanks are to blame for them facing problems at home, having falsely accused them all of acts. The abductors such as Bush must pay for their crimes.
    "I hereby declare that the Continuity Executive and the Continuity Army Council are the lawful Executive and Army Council respectively of the Irish Republican Army, and that the governmental authority, delegated in the Proclamation of 1938, now resides in the Continuity Army Council, and its lawful successors."

Comdt. General Thomas Maguire

Quote Originally Posted by Risteard View Post
    The Yanks are to blame for them facing problems at home, having falsely accused them all of acts. The abductors such as Bush must pay for their crimes.
    sh*te as usual from the RA....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

From who, BodyofEvidence?
    "I hereby declare that the Continuity Executive and the Continuity Army Council are the lawful Executive and Army Council respectively of the Irish Republican Army, and that the governmental authority, delegated in the Proclamation of 1938, now resides in the Continuity Army Council, and its lawful successors."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ulster-Lad View Post
    President Elect Obama wants to close Guantanamo, President Bush wants to close Guantanamo. Everyone wants to close the prison there but the question is what is to be done with the people that are there now?

Their home countries do not want them returned there or they will face execution, torture, or other atrocities if returned to their home countries.

My question is simple; what should be done with them? Should they be divided up and sent to friendlier European countries such as Ireland? The precedent has been set on this with the Palestinians from the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem.

Closing Guantanamo prison may be the easy part for Obama - Los Angeles Times
    It is a very difficult one. Technically I guess a lot of them are refugees and therefore should be treated like that.

Naturally a lot of people in Guantanamo are dangerous terrorists as well and they will need to be re-located to other prisons, so that is an issue as well.
    "Give us the future, we've had enough of YOUR past, Give us back our country, to live in, to grow in and to love..."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No they are not, Rocky. They are innocent men as they have not been convicted by any legitimate court of anything illegal (or by any illegitimate court either, for that matter).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    It is a very difficult one. Technically I guess a lot of them are refugees and therefore should be treated like that.

Naturally a lot of people in Guantanamo are dangerous terrorists as well and they will need to be re-located to other prisons, so that is an issue as well.

Who, and do please name names, are the dangerous terrorists being held there?

When released I hope the sue the absolute ass of the US Government.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by corelli View Post
    Who, and do please name names, are the dangerous terrorists being held there?

When released I hope the sue the absolute ass of the US Government.
    How would I know?

I think the odds of every single person there being innocent is very low. They didn't just randomly decide to build this controversial prison and fell it up with random people.
    "Give us the future, we've had enough of YOUR past, Give us back our country, to live in, to grow in and to love..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    How would I know?

I think the odds of every single person there being innocent is very low. They didn't just randomly decide to build this controversial prison and fell it up with random people.

Well if you don't even know who they are holding you might refrain from terming them "dangerous terrorists". In view of the fact that Obama is committed to closing it down, and since election has full access to all classified information, I think we could construe that as evidence of their lack of threat.

Face facts, in the 6 plus years it has been open they have had to introduce military courts with rules of evidence massively weighted against them, including allowing torture, in order to process them. To what avail? How many "convictions"?

It is an absolute farce in terms of any kind of justice being meted out.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They convicted Osama's chauffeur didn't they

They should be processed through the American Courts and if aquitted, set free.
    *************, *********, ********, **** <3 USA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast