Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 66 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Handgun Ban - Another Example of the Nanny State

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Handgun Ban - Another Example of the Nanny State

The government has agreed to ban handguns and I think this is another example of us becoming a Nanny State. There are legitimate reasons why people may wish to own a handgun mainly connected with the use of them for sporting purposes and I think the blanket ban as proposed is totally unreasonable.

I think the way to handle it is to bring in a law with a mandatory 20 year sentence for being caught in possession of an unlicensed handgun. Enacting this law will not take these guns out of the hands of the criminals. We are going to penalise ordinary people with an interest in handguns for no reason other reason than making the government appear to be doing something about gangland crime when in reality the ban will make absolutely no difference.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Pardon my ignorance, but what sports involve the use of handguns ?

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

While this is welcome, the majority of firearms used in violent crime seem to be coming in illegally. This is especially obvious given that just 1,900 handgun licenses are held in the State according to the article. An EU-wide ban on handguns would have more of an effect, as well as uniform EU standards at customs to stop them being imported into this country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FutureTaoiseach View Post
    While this is welcome, the majority of firearms used in violent crime seem to be coming in illegally. This is especially obvious given that just 1,900 handgun licenses are held in the State according to the article.
    That article is incorrect, there are a lot more legally held handguns in the state.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think the danger of allowing easily concealed weapons is great enough to outweigh the loss of 'sport' involving handguns

The kind of people who would want to have hand guns are usually the very same people who shouldn't be given them
    Actual morality is doing what is right regardless of what you're told. Religious morality is doing what you're told, regardless of if it's right.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I know alot of people who are not going to hand over their guns without a fight. This will be fun.

Come and get them
    Last edited by dissident; 19th November 2008 at 10:50 AM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Akrasia View Post
    The kind of people who would want to have hand guns are usually the very same people who shouldn't be given them
    And that statement is based on what proof? Any owner of a licensed firearm in this state has had to jump through hoops to get their license and undergo a severe background check.

This ban is a knee jerk - cave in reaction by this lousy government to make it look as if they are doing something about gangland crime. In this case they are targeting the wrong people - as usual. I hope the gun owners pool together and take this to the wire through the courts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerryp View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but what sports involve the use of handguns ?
    Pistol Shooting is an Olympics Sport.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Akrasia View Post
    I think the danger of allowing easily concealed weapons is great enough to outweigh the loss of 'sport' involving handguns

Banning handguns is not going to take them our of the hands of the criminals, this law is targeting the wrong people, i.e. the law abiding citizens who have applied for and been vetted before being given a license.

it didn't cut gun crime on the mainland.
    legally held guns in NI don't get used by paramilitary s or criminals.
    so you will annoy a minority group of sports people to look tough on crime rock on looking tough on crime always makes people feel safer.

Page 1 of 66 123451151 ... LastLast