Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cork - Protestants and Non-Religious 2006 (maps)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Cork - Protestants and Non-Religious 2006 (maps)

I was asked to do these maps... can anyone tell me whether the protestant population in South-West Cork is largely indigenous or is it as the result of immigration?

Colour Scheme :

<5% Lt Blue
    5-10% Dark Blue
    10-15% Green
    15-20% Dark Red
    >20% Lt Red

PROTESTANTS & OTHER NON-CATHOLICS

NON-RELIGIOUS

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Bandon area was a historical retirement area for British Naval Officers prior to Independence so there is a historically high Protestant population in West Cork. In more recent decades you had a lot of British, Germans and Dutch came to live in West Cork when the place was really cheap.

Duth Ealla

interesting to see that the group described as non-religious also tends towards the west.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think one of the big bright red spots on the non-religious map is Coolmountain, which has a large new age commune in it.

I think the Protestant population needs to be divided into two group. In the Clonakilty-Bandon-Dunmanway triangle there is are a large number of native Protestants dating back to the Plantation of Munster. Many, if not most of these would be involved in farming. The further west concentration is more likely to be more recent immigrants from the UK, Germany and the Netherlands.

I have no good explanation of the area that looks like it's just to the south of Drimoleague. I was never even aware that there were significant numbers of Protestants in the area.
    Economic Left/Right: -2.88 (down 3.63 since the financial crash)
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by locke View Post
    I think one of the big bright red spots on the non-religious map is Coolmountain, which has a large new age commune in it.

I think the Protestant population needs to be divided into two group. In the Clonakilty-Bandon-Dunmanway triangle there is are a large number of native Protestants dating back to the Plantation of Munster. Many, if not most of these would be involved in farming. The further west concentration is more likely to be more recent immigrants from the UK, Germany and the Netherlands.

I have no good explanation of the area that looks like it's just to the south of Drimoleague. I was never even aware that there were significant numbers of Protestants in the area.

Interesting, good analysis tho I'd doubt they'd date back as far as plantation times per se as Nine Years War pretty much obliterated the plantation (as best I can remember), I would have thought that it's more likely the Protestants settled there post-1650 and then again post-1690... but I could well be wrong...

As regards the new age thing, there seems to be a similar situation in mid-leitrim, where there are odd pockets of concentrated godlessness...

Spot on ,I'd say.Bandon is the only town in Munster that ever had a Protestant majority and that was in the 1600s.This is a very old community and the same names seem to recur over time - though some have 'gone over'.Fairly good land too along the river.The land further west around Schull ,Bantry and Beara in general is poor farmland ,by contrast.Get an 02 phone book and lok up names beginning with 'V'.Now read across to the addresses;there's your answer - but these guys are not farmers.Or keen churchgoers for that matter.

Duth Ealla

vaguely remember one source saying that in the 19th century there was very significant movement into Ireland from the "rest" of the uk. Recall the point was connected with the movement of people back after the anglo-irish war. Maybe thats the time period where these numbers originate.

People like the Dutch would tend to describe themselves as a-religious. I think there are more describing themselves as catholic in the Netherlands than protestant. The same may hold true for the Germans but I am not sure. i think there is a case to say dutch folks would contribute to the non-religious spikes more than they do to protestant areas.

Can I say that these are interesting maps that make you think about, in my case, your home county. Fair play.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Actually, I'd love to be able to do a comparison with 100 years ago. It would answer how much of the population is native protestant and how many are immigrant.

I'd also like to see how much of a decline there's been in North Cork. It's an area that has produced a few well-known Protestants - William Trevor and Elizabeth Bowen for example - and I wonder if there was once a much larger community there.

But I don't think the CSO produce SAPS for any previous censuses, never mind that long ago.
    Economic Left/Right: -2.88 (down 3.63 since the financial crash)
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Actually, I'd love to be able to do a comparison with 100 years ago. It would answer how much of the population is native protestant and how many are immigrant.

I'd also like to see how much of a decline there's been in North Cork. It's an area that has produced a few well-known Protestants - William Trevor and Elizabeth Bowen for example - and I wonder if there was once a much larger community there.

But I don't think the CSO produce SAPS for any previous censuses, never mind that long ago.
    Find me one, and I'll do it...

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by macdarawhitfield View Post
    Spot on ,I'd say.Bandon is the only town in Munster that ever had a Protestant majority and that was in the 1600s.This is a very old community and the same names seem to recur over time - though some have 'gone over'.Fairly good land too along the river.The land further west around Schull ,Bantry and Beara in general is poor farmland ,by contrast.Get an 02 phone book and lok up names beginning with 'V'.Now read across to the addresses;there's your answer - but these guys are not farmers.Or keen churchgoers for that matter.
    Aye, even the pigs are black in Bandon...

But I must quibble. Surely Baltimore had a Prod majority when the Barbary pirates came to take them away?...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast