Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FF to back McDaid for GE !!!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default FF to back McDaid for GE !!!

According to todays Irish Independent, Fianna Fail still want Jim McDaid (self-proclaimed "disgrace" and "idiot") to run in the General Election.

This is despite the former Minister for Road Safety being convicted tor driving down the wrong side of a dual carriageway, three times over the legal limit, and bing banned from driving for two years.

The reason FF are backing him is unsurprising - basically, its because their situation is so dire, and the alternative candidates are so crappy, they can't afford to let incumbent TDs just fade into the background - no matter how useless or discredited they are.

An FF spokesman admits as much:
    "The party is anxious to hold onto the two seats here because the next election is going to be a numbers game. We can't be taking any chances and he is still the best choice. Come the next election, Fianna Fail needs Jim McDaid,"
    "There is no doubt but he is going to run again. It's as simple as this. Whatever chance Fianna Fail has with him they have none without him."
    "The IRA Army Council have a history of telling the truth. If they say they didn't do it, then I believe them" - Bertie Ahern, speaking after the murder of Det. Garda Jerry McCabe

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Retaining the sitting TD is there best, but I suspect, thankless hope of retaining 2 here. That is unless Blaney joins up. Both SF and FG are biting at their heels and realistically both could gain seats at the expense of FF and IndFF.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If he's still banned from driving come the election, he'll need someone to drive him around - and won't the cost of said driver during the election campaign itself have to be declared in his election spending?
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ah ... there is the small matter of ideas, policies, intellectual consistency, no? Oh, of course, this is Irish politics - I forgot. Forgive me. Divvying up the profits, getting the biggest gang together, dictating who stands guard at the door of the speakeasy, ... that's what we're about as a nation ... no wonder we have achieved so much over the last 80 years ...

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kerrynorth
    Retaining the sitting TD is there best, but I suspect, thankless hope of retaining 2 here. That is unless Blaney joins up. Both SF and FG are biting at their heels and realistically both could gain seats at the expense of FF and IndFF.
    Go for it SF.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster
    If he's still banned from driving come the election, he'll need someone to drive him around - and won't the cost of said driver during the election campaign itself have to be declared in his election spending?

Its also an offence if the passenger of a vehicle is drinking alcohol---it will have to be short stops all the way on the campaign trail
    The crown above the red hand is that of the O'Neill rulers of Ulster---not the Saxe-coborg gotha usurpers crown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[quote=martin TYRONE]
    Quote Originally Posted by "hiding behind a poster":ksjrx758

Its also an offence if the passenger of a vehicle is drinking alcohol---it will have to be short stops all the way on the campaign trail[/quote:ksjrx758]

Do you mean actually in the act of drinking alcohol or having previously drunk alcohol? I was unaware that it was a crime for a sober person to drive their drunk friends home.
    "Partout où la liberté règne elle est incessamment attaquée et très souvent en péril” – Jean Jacques Rousseau.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kerrynorth
    That is unless Blaney joins up. Both SF and FG are biting at their heels and realistically both could gain seats at the expense of FF and IndFF.
    The Blaney situation is certainly giving FG an easy line of attack. I hope Joe McHugh plugs this line relentlessly:
    http://www.finegael.ie/fine-gael-new.../2005/month/10
    I doubt that Doherty can do it to the same effect, because most Shinners are afraid to upset FFers and wannabe-FFers
    "The IRA Army Council have a history of telling the truth. If they say they didn't do it, then I believe them" - Bertie Ahern, speaking after the murder of Det. Garda Jerry McCabe

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Point of interest Barry...

but do you believe that its also an absolute disgrace that Ruairi Quinn, also convicted of drink driving in past is standing in the next election ...

and was John Bruton an absolute disgrace for appointing him the Minister for Finance in his cabinet...

I mean I'd hate to think you were being a hypocrite Barry
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rockofcashel
    Point of interest Barry...

but do you believe that its also an absolute disgrace that Ruairi Quinn, also convicted of drink driving in past is standing in the next election ...

and was John Bruton an absolute disgrace for appointing him the Minister for Finance in his cabinet...

I mean I'd hate to think you were being a hypocrite Barry

I think, in fairness, the fact that he was so scuttered that he drove a couple of miles on the wrong side of the Naas-Newbridge Dual Carriageway and had to be stopped by a truck pulling across in front of him, would lead any fair minded person to conclude that the ************************er should be in Mountjoy, not considering running for election.

Have people forgotten the recent carnage on the roads in Donegal so quickly?

Does the fact that he didn't actually kill anybody (through no fault of his own) mean that everything is lovely jubbly?

I hope not!
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." Mark Twain

“When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.” Napoléon Bonaparte

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast