Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What should Cowen say in a State of Nation address?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What should Cowen say in a State of Nation address?

The two papers i read today referred to need for Cowen to do this. What should he say, if if does take this advice? My view is that he should say as little as possible, with no discernable soundbites, very little Irish and no management speak. Heres my suggestion. 'As you all aware the economic situation has turned down from the peaks of the celtic tiger. The causes of this are many and are as the result factors at home and abroad. No one in national politics or otherwise can say that they have not made mistakes. Our need now is to learn the lessons of the past to secure our future. The rate of government spending must be reduced. That is why in the budget took steps to correct this. There decisions were not made lightly. And there are more difficult choices to make in the coming months. I will take these decisions. During the budget I asked my colleagues to answer a patriotic call, they took a 10% pay cut. I will be asking others across the public sector to do the same. We all must play our part and that means buying from local manufactorers. However we should be positive, no matter how bad things may appear, or false comparisons to the bad times of the past or the negativity of commentators undermining our justified hopes, i am confident that we, the people of ireland, can get though this difficult period very soon. Go raibh agaibh go leir.'

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

My suggestion would be slightly shorter: "I quit"
    Beer is proof that God loves us - Benjamin Franklin

Politics.ie Member PhoenixIreland's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Good evening my fellow citizens, I hearby resign the office of Taoiseach and will ask the President to call an immediate election, thank you, and good night, I'm so so so sorry for f u c k i ng this up"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    My suggestion would be slightly shorter: "I quit"
    That is as funny as it is unexpected.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixIreland View Post
    "Good evening my fellow citizens, I hearby resign the office of Taoiseach and will ask the President to call an immediate election, thank you, and good night, I'm so so so sorry for f u c k i ng this up"
    Sorry. Bye

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"We must go forward not backward, upward not forward, and always twirling, twirling towards freedom!"

Politics.ie Member DeGaulle 2.0's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wish to apologise for the way the economic boom has been squandered by the FF-PD governments since 1997. I realise that FF is a blight on the Irish people and I have decided that the appropriate course is to wind up the party. In this, as in so much else, we will follow up the lead of the PDs. I am resigning as Taoiseach and am asking the president to call an immediate general election. I will ask John Gormley to take over as acting Taoiseach until the election is over.
    Vive le Québec libre ! Ag beathú na dtochardán ón mbliain 2007.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What should Cowen say in a State of the Nation address?

Everyone knows that there is world banking/finacial crisis and a severe down turn in economic activity, which of course affectes Ireland. He should apologise that the Government is responsible, over 11 years, for making our situation much worse than it might otherwise be, particularly in respect of the public finances, through its delibearte actions to encourage a housing boom to an extent that Government revenue had become far to dependent on the unsustainable taxes(VAT and Stamp Duty) derived from Irish peopleselling houses to each other. If he makes a clear apology, the people might be supportive of measures to put the public finances right and put people back to work, provided the measures protect the vulnerable, maintain progesss in education and are equitable. An apology might also mean that the opposition parties have to ease off on the slagging and cleraly state what they will do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

'We need to tighten our belts before the shirt is off me back.'

Or how about:

'I'm not a quitter...'

or

'It's me or that clown Enda...'

or

'I hereby declare the Constitution suspended....'

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Birding View Post
    Everyone knows that there is world banking/finacial crisis and a severe down turn in economic activity, which of course affectes Ireland. He should apologise that the Government is responsible, over 11 years, for making our situation much worse than it might otherwise be, particularly in respect of the public finances, through its delibearte actions to encourage a housing boom to an extent that Government revenue had become far to dependent on the unsustainable taxes(VAT and Stamp Duty) derived from Irish peopleselling houses to each other. If he makes a clear apology, the people might be supportive of measures to put the public finances right and put people back to work, provided the measures protect the vulnerable, maintain progesss in education and are equitable. An apology might also mean that the opposition parties have to ease off on the slagging and cleraly state what they will do.
    An apology is a good idea. However none of the above is likely (especially since the fault for the above was ahern's not his, but if can hardly blame bertie). How about 'The economic difficulties are not mere statistics but affect people in a real way and I am sorry for that this is so'

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast