Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the Guards Corrupt? Are the Guards Out of Control?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Are the Guards Corrupt? Are the Guards Out of Control?

I believe every 10 years or so the Metropolitan Police in London do an anti-corruption trawl through their ranks. Each time they do so they uncover hundreds of bent coppers - drugs, backhanders, convenient loss of case files, extortion, etc., etc.

To my knowledge in the whole history of this state there has been no similar systematic trawl through garda ranks (I may be wrong). If the current clutch of small minded self-serving gombeens who run this country want me to believe that significant numbers of garda are not up to every sort of racket and criminal thuggery, then I would have to ask them to excuse me before grabbing their florid, overfed faces and shoving them, sneer first, down the nearest toilet bowl.

Many cops own pubs i believe or have interests in them. Many cops, in my own personal experience, are sneering, aggressive, unhelpful and not a million miles away from the kind of thugs you imagine they are supposed to be there to protect you against. The Guards are, basically, out of control.

This is apart from any considerations of the need for the 'thin blue line' and doesn't, of course, relate to those who aren't bent or who have acted well. It is about that which is rotten in the guards in this state.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good post CC.
    The crown above the red hand is that of the O'Neill rulers of Ulster---not the Saxe-coborg gotha usurpers crown

Politics.ie Newbie
    London (aka Lisbon Treaty/PD demise émigré)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I dont agree the gardai are out of control but they could improve in many respects and the trawl you are talking about could help in that respect.

Priority 1 for me is getting them out of bus lanes and onto Westmoreland street at 3.00am
    "I thought that I had a duty to help those that weren't as lucky as me." -- John Hume

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This nonsense of Gardai investigating Gardai has to stop as well---and the compromise the Mc do do keeps using - an inquiry with a minority of civilians on a pannel with a majority of serving/retired Gardai to investigate Gardai is a load of tripe as well.
    The crown above the red hand is that of the O'Neill rulers of Ulster---not the Saxe-coborg gotha usurpers crown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do you think it would be useful to have a Garda Ombudsman here, like they do for the PSNI up north?
    "Partout où la liberté règne elle est incessamment attaquée et très souvent en péril” – Jean Jacques Rousseau.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by agora
    Do you think it would be useful to have a Garda Ombudsman here, like they do for the PSNI up north?
    Hell yeah---Patten reforms should be fully implemented north and south.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by martin TYRONE
    If the Patten reforms and the Ombudsman have worked so well, how come SF still aren't sitting on Police Boards?
    "Partout où la liberté règne elle est incessamment attaquée et très souvent en péril” – Jean Jacques Rousseau.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by martin TYRONE
    If the Patten reforms and the Ombudsman have worked so well, how come SF still aren't sitting on Police Boards?

It has never been given the chance to work so well----in the north we have Patten ultra-lite---but in the proposals there is great potential if they were implemented in their entirety.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry folks above was my attempt to provide a link with Gavin Sheridans ---Corruption in Irish society.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast