Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fine Gael's FairerBudget.com - a new PR & Marketing departure?

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Fine Gael's FairerBudget.com - a new PR & Marketing departure?

Whilst looking at the Irish Times website earlier, I noticed an advertising campaign being run on the site by Fine Gael, directing people to FairerBudget.com

I've also noticed Kildare South Fine Gael doing alot of local newspaper advertising encouraging people to not get mad with the government, but to join Fine Gael instead.

What are people's thought on Fine Gael's current PR & Marketing strategy in the shadow of the collapse in support for Fianna Fail?

FairerBudget.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think Fine Gael is doing well in trying to appeal to people who previously would have taken the cheap and cliched view of it as a 'west-Brit', blueshirt party. Very staid.

It really kicked off right after the 2002 election, when a surge of people joined - not necessarily because they liked what they saw but for two reasons:

a) they felt it was important to have a real counter balance to FF
    b) -more importantly, with a lot of 'names' gone and marginal seats there, they felt it was a good opportunity to join a party where they might be in with a chance of pushing to the front.

I know quite a number who joined - who could have gone FF/FG or Lab, who took FG route as it was the more likely route to get them into politics. Lets be honest, there's not a huge distance in policy betwene any of the bigger parties... so its less about ideology.

I think FG have done a very good job in phase one, of re-establishing the party as a credible alternative. The 2nd phase, the one they are doing well, so far, is to do to FF what FF did to FG in 1995-1997 and chip away at the public perceptions of the government party, hammering them at every opportunity. And it is tough. Regardless of the current climate, people are now conditioned to seeing Cowen, Dempsey, Lenihan etc as the government and Kenny, Bruton, Quinn, Gilmore are opposition... takes a big shift to move that on.

The PR is getting better, but I dont see FF allowing an early election, they've taken enough pain to date to want to see it through to 2012.. and the Greens simply cannot afford to leave Government without delivering something to their core base. If they sold out for 30 pieces of silver, then they need to show people that it was a fair price...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The site looks very good. Succinct and readable.

Also, very extensive public meetings planned.

Gimpanzee

Just saw the video ad on the Times site - very effective IMO

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Also, very extensive public meetings planned.
    Good. I look forward to going along and asking Enda Kenny about the 4bn deficit that FG's alternative budget doesn't address.
    A demagogue is someone who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Simple clean message, but I'd lose the activeX stuff, doesnt work for many people in the office enviornment, more suited to home viewers.

Advertising the meeting and getting non-FG people to attend is always the real challenge. Media space is very freely available right now, as advertising has plummeted... I'd make hay now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As a PR and marketing exercise it does hit the main messages for which the electorate seem to be struggling with, there is an alternative, there is an alternative plan, we have the team and the ideas and we have the will.

As another thread pointed out, Enda Kenny's strength seems to be as a teambuilder and he should play more of this in the marketing exercise by promoting his team more. For instance, Richard Bruton has been very impressive with (looking?) knowledgeable and being clear in his criticism of the budget. I use the word "looking" in brackets as this is really all that matters in the context of a PR and marketing campaign, i.e., being correct is a secondary consideration!

As someone who does not vote along party lines but am sick to the teeth of the rotten smell around the FF party for the past ten years, I think this is good capitalisation of the time. Hopefully the Greens will grow a conscience and step away from FF to allow this alternative to materialise.
    We are "they"

Duth Ealla

good site alright. I think they could add a newsletter sign up as well on the front page. If I want to sign up to learn more about FG on a week to week basis then I cant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Opportunistic blueshirts trying to con people into thinking they care about them.

Look at the FG alternative, completely vauge as usual. Completely covers up the reality of their agenda.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i like it, simple, gets the msg across. Hopefully the regional meetings will be a success now

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast