Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Paul Gogarty actually mad?

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Is Paul Gogarty actually mad?

Fine Gael Education Spokesperson Brian Hayes TD sent out a press release last week where he said he was concerned about Paul Gogarty's mental health.

Everyone knows Paul Gogarty is the original rebel without a clue but I’m seriously beginning to worry for his mental health as he continues to lead a double life.
    Brian Hayes TD

The Evening Herald covered comments by Deputy Gogarty yesterday where he said he at one stage recently seriously considered resigning from the Greens and becoming an Independent TD. (I can't find the article on Herald.ie).

In Mirian Lord's (always excellent) Saturday column in the Irish Times she has writes about Deputy Gogarty's schenanigans at a recent incinerator meeting in Rathcoole.

DEPUTY PAUL No-Go Gogarty's approach to politics is unconventional at the best of times, but he surpassed himself recently by rolling around the floor and playing dead while a political rival was making a speech.
    Miriam Lord

When asked about the article in the Herald yesterday, Deputy Gogarty seems to engage in some double speak (also covered by Miriam Lord).

If somebody asks: 'Did you ever consider resigning?' the question will cross your mind. It has crossed my mind. But I have never threatened to resign.

Put it this way. If somebody asked me to cook a kitten in a microwave, the thought would cross my mind. But I'm an animal-loving vegetarian, so I wouldn't do it."
    Paul Gogarty TD

The rest of the piece by Miriam Lord is well worth a read, however Dep Gogarty's behaviour continues to shock and surprise, and I do wonder if we should look back on Deputy Hayes' remarks 9 days ago for a moment. Firstly, it would seem normally bad form for a press office to make such personal remarks in a press release, particularly about mental health, but I have to ask, did Deputy Hayes have a point?
    Last edited by David Cochrane; 8th November 2008 at 08:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When I read that piece by Miriam I was not sure if she was abusing artistic license but if he did wriggle on the floor he needs psychiatric help which I'm sure his health insurance would cover.

What a crazy party. Remembering Sargent's great claim that he would not lead the Greens into a coalition with FF and then becomes Minister for cabbage.

Sheesh...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He sounds mad. Having never met the gentleman I can't comment however.
    Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are, and those few dare not oppose themselves to the opinion of the many, who have the majesty of the state to defend them.

- Niccolò Machiavelli

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just read the piece now, I can agree completely, Lord is a fablous writes brilliant articles on Dail and is a huge asset to the IT.

Gogarty seems to have lost his mind a long time ago, and this type of behaviour goes to show that the people of DMW have elected a mad man who comes across as a little know it all. He has to be in line to lose his seat next time out. The sooner Frances gets into the Dail, the better for the people of her constituencey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I used to have a lot of time for Paul. He has a ferocious work record in Lucan and has played a key role in rolling back the ZANU FF and Fine Vague corruption that led to planning blight in this part of West Dublin.

He has had a terrible couple of years having lost his best friend and political ally, Fintan McCarthy, in a coach crash in China and then losing his father Billy, who had been Fintan's replacement on Sounth Dublin County Council.

Having said that, Paul's behaviour in recent months has become increasingly erratic. He has spun so much with his on again, off again support for Batt O'Keefe's education cuts that he has left his electors, and I guess himself, uttterly confused at to where he actually stands on this question. And his bizarre behaviour at the Rathcoole meeting just beggars belief. Someone needs to take Paul in hand before he completely loses it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I genuinely thought this was a joke, when mentioned on another thread until I found Lord's article.... i'm stunned

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Did he do the floor thing?
    Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are, and those few dare not oppose themselves to the opinion of the many, who have the majesty of the state to defend them.

- Niccolò Machiavelli

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
    He sounds mad. Having never met the gentleman I can't comment however.
    Mad like a fox, another Michael McDowell oppose the govt. you're part of - a windbag.
    Beer is proof that God loves us - Benjamin Franklin

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by setanta View Post
    I used to have a lot of time for Paul. He has a ferocious work record in Lucan and has played a key role in rolling back the ZANU FF and Fine Vague corruption that led to planning blight in this part of West Dublin.

He has had a terrible couple of years having lost his best friend and political ally, Fintan McCarthy, in a coach crash in China and then losing his father Billy, who had been Fintan's replacement on Sounth Dublin County Council.

Having said that, Paul's behaviour in recent months has become increasingly erratic. He has spun so much with his on again, off again support for Batt O'Keefe's education cuts that he has left his electors, and I guess himself, uttterly confused at to where he actually stands on this question. And his bizarre behaviour at the Rathcoole meeting just beggars belief. Someone needs to take Paul in hand before he completely loses it.
    Like Setanta I too had a lot of time for Paul Gogarty done good work on local issues but thats some time ago. Of course he has had 2 tragedies in loosing his close friend and Father in as short space of time. But as Setanta his behavior is recent times is anything but stable.

Having attended 2 public meetings on the Rathcoole incinerator I believe his actions at the last one were quite mild compared the first on in June. He launched into a vicious attack on FG in language that was inappropriate at such a public gathering.

Following heckles from the floor and the interjection of the chair he toned it down but by this time the crowd were un interested in hearing what he had to say. I was standing quite close to his wife who was visible upset as he spoke.

He should have been shouting his opposition about the incinerator since then but has not, instead it appear its a local gree rep dowling who is pushing it in the area

I also hear reports of people leaving the local group due to his antics.

Put it this way. If somebody asked me to cook a kitten in a microwave, the thought would cross my mind. But I'm an animal-loving vegetarian, so I wouldn't do it."
    that an excellent reply, it does really make sense.

its like don't think of pink elephants.
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast