Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Massive Cocaine Haul Off South-West Coast

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Massive Cocaine Haul Off South-West Coast

Seems to be breaking news:

Gardaí, the Naval Service and Customs have seized a consignment of at least 1.5 tonnes of cocaine off the southwest coast.

The haul is expected to at least match last year's record €440m seizure at Dunlough Bay in west Cork.

The drugs were on a vessel that was taken into custody around 200 miles off the southwest coast last night.

The boat was being brought to shore in west Cork under armed guard.
    RTÉ News: Huge cocaine seizure off southwest coast

A yacht with 1.5 tonnes of cocaine on board was seized off the south-west coast today after authorities swooped on an international drugs trafficking ring.

Three men, believed to be European, were detained on the vessel, thought to be en route from the Caribbean with an illicit cargo worth hundreds of millions of euro.

The boat was being brought to shore in west Cork under armed guard after navy, customs and gardaí swooped in international waters.

The massive seizure compares to Ireland’s largest ever drugs haul – 1.5 tonnes and valued at €440m – recovered last summer off the Cork coast after traffickers’ boats capsized during a storm.

It is understood the Irish Navy brought three men to shore today where they were arrested.

The operation was based on intelligence from the Lisbon-based Maritime Analysis and Operations Centre set up to tackle drugs shipments across the Atlantic, mainly high grade cocaine, from South and Latin America.

Smugglers have also been using west Africa as a staging post before shipping to Europe.

Navy, gardaí and customs launched a joint operation targeting the trafficking gang earlier this week with the drugs bust lined up for several days.

Justice Minister Dermot Ahern said: “It is very important that Ireland plays its role in the work of the Lisbon centre.

“This bureau leads the fights against those trafficking cocaine into Europe and consequently into Ireland.”
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhidojauidql/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1.5 tonnes? Was last years not bigger?

Also, some poor ************************* isn't going to have a white Christmas!
    Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are, and those few dare not oppose themselves to the opinion of the many, who have the majesty of the state to defend them.

- Niccolò Machiavelli

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Last year's haul was also 1.5 tonnes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'll take your word for it then.
    Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are, and those few dare not oppose themselves to the opinion of the many, who have the majesty of the state to defend them.

- Niccolò Machiavelli

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
    I'll take your word for it then.
    I am taking BreakingNews.ie word for it.

The massive seizure compares to Ireland’s largest ever drugs haul – 1.5 tonnes and valued at €440m – recovered last summer off the Cork coast after traffickers’ boats capsized during a storm.

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As if the denizens of the IFSC don't have enough on their plate, now this. Poor sods.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Talking

The government should sell it , it would go some way to plugging the budget deficit.

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cool

Comhgardheacais and well done to all involved in captureing those scum,lock them up and throw away the key!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The markup for cocaine is 17,000%. If I can make something for 1cent and later on sell it for €170, hell and high water isn't going to stop me from doing it. Especially when my competitors are getting locked up

Where economics reveals inemptitude, brute force takes over.

Quote Originally Posted by peader odonnell View Post
    Comhgardheacais and well done to all involved in captureing those scum,lock them up and throw away the key!
    Brainwashed much?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anyone have any idea if this would be for the local market or for transshipment to the UK/Europe? I mean is there any estimate of how much coke is used in ireland weekly/annually?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast