Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Liam Cosgrave

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Liam Cosgrave

As a member of Fine Geal, I often hear members talking about Garret and Bruton. But i want to get the yfg on who i think was the best leader Fine Geal ever had Liam Cosgrave

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I assume you're not referring to the Liam Cosgrave convicted of corruption the other day? Though at least he didn't allow the guards to beat up suspects

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CJH
    I assume you're not referring to the Liam Cosgrave convicted of corruption the other day? Though at least he didn't allow the guards to beat up suspects

I doubt if they rang the Taoiseach's office, and asked "do ye mind if we thump seven bells of lard out of a few lads down here at the station?" - and Cosgrave said "fire away, lads".
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Government secretly supported the activities of the Heavy Gang. So much for FG 'Law and Order'.

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My assessment of Liam Cosgrave is extremely negative. This was the Government in office when the Garda investigation into the Dublin-Monaghan bombings was called off. His views against contraception are also off-putting.

I regard Cosgrave's government as West-British.

Sunningdale is the one bright spot, but that never got off the ground so I wouldn't attach to much stall to that.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FutureTaoiseach
    His views against contraception are also off-putting.

Somewhat contradictory there. He was strongly Catholic and came out with that charming phrase about how he was a Catholic and served the Church first and foremost (I'll try and find the exact quote).

He was very much the conservative wing of FG. I'd be an admirer of the liberal wing - Garret's group.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pidge
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureTaoiseach
    His views against contraception are also off-putting.

Somewhat contradictory there. He was strongly Catholic and came out with that charming phrase about how he was a Catholic and served the Church first and foremost (I'll try and find the exact quote).

He was very much the conservative wing of FG. I'd be an admirer of the liberal wing - Garret's group.
    The group that gave us the 1981 Abortion amendment you mean?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cosgrave took a tough approach in the 70's to law and order, The kind of approach we need now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tralee1
    Cosgrave took a tough approach in the 70's to law and order, The kind of approach we need now
    Wrong. He took a tough approach to Republican terrorism, while the Loyalists involved in Dublin-Monaghan bombings were allowed to go unhindered back to the North - even though the Gardai knew their identities.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What could he do?. He did what he could, the conservative government in england were very pro uvf. He did what any honest think man would do or elase risk an all out war with the north

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast