Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Martin set to Resign.

Politics.ie Member thetruthsback's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Martin set to Resign.

Rumours in Cork suggest Michael Martin is set to resign. He's unhappy with the direction of the party, and may launch a challenge to Cowen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thetruthsback View Post
    Rumours in Cork suggest Michael Martin is set to resign. He's unhappy with the direction of the party, and may launch a challenge to Cowen.
    Strange how fiction surfaces more in these kinds of times than at any other. It would be the end of him if he pulled this. Any Minister in FF breaking ranks now will be seen as an individualist and running when the chips are down. I suspect this is part of the reason the Greens are holding firm - if they bale now the electorate will see them as getting out of the kitchen because it was too hot.
    We are "they"

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thetruthsback View Post
    The talentless challenging the talentless. Cool!
    Myles per Hour has left politics.ie.

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There's a rumour in Cork that my mum is my dad and my wife is my brother. I started it...

Politics.ie Member PhoenixIreland's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm gonna go ahead and call this bs...

Good for him.

A refreshing change to see FFer's not staying blindly loyal to an incompetent leader. If FF are indeed going down, why should he stay part of it?

As to whether he would be any better in the hot seat, hard to say, but even if the economic reforms from the budget do work, politically it's been a mess, and FF have to defend against a litany of cuts, instead a smaller number of drastic cuts (or tax increases) might have been better.

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by just_society2 View Post
    Good for him.

A refreshing change to see FFer's not staying blindly loyal to an incompetent leader. If FF are indeed going down, why should he stay part of it?

As to whether he would be any better in the hot seat, hard to say, but even if the economic reforms from the budget do work, politically it's been a mess, and FF have to defend against a litany of cuts, instead a smaller number of drastic cuts (or tax increases) might have been better.
    He had no problem being blindly loyal to Ahern, did he? Anyway, something more solid than a rumour is necessary here.

Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post
    He had no problem being blindly loyal to Ahern, did he? Anyway, something more solid than a rumour is necessary here.
    Indeed, I should have qualified that with an if it's true, and I hadn't forgotten the unamimity of their defence of Bertie, but if this is true (here's hoping) then I think it's a wise move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I personally would doubt it but that said, I don't recall Martin on the airwaves so much in the last 2 weeks. What he may be doing is seeking support to out manoeuvre Dermot Ahern should Cowen be forced to go to the country in the next 18 months and lose.
    Dan Sullivan. I was back but we still couldn't all have a vote. http://www.danielsullivan.ie/blog/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KingKane View Post
    I personally would doubt it but that said, I don't recall Martin on the airwaves so much in the last 2 weeks. What he may be doing is seeking support to out manoeuvre Dermot Ahern should Cowen be forced to go to the country in the next 18 months and lose.
    Can you think of any Minister coming out recently in support of this budget...? They're all veritable tumbleweeds...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast