Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cowen further undermining Irish Economy?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs down Cowen further undermining Irish Economy?

Let's watch the next few days in China and see what the fruits of this trip will be.

Here is my prediction:

1. Cowen will cut ribbons for Irish companies warehousing and shipping facilities that will be used for sending goods to us from China that were previously manufactured here in Ireland.

2. Cowen will hold meetings with Chinese Government agents and Manufacturers that will result in increasing their confidence and as a result credit terms offered to Irish Companies doing business in China - An intimation that all companies accompanying him have our States blessing.

Ireland Inc. does not gain from the rise of China - Our Pols. must stop listening to the mantra that has been trotted out from the failed Investment bankers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've often wondered what the purpose of these trips to China actually are and how we gain. I know they must cost about a million each trip in expense to the taxpayer.

But what do we get in return?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

China is one of the largest economies in the world, regardless of what he does on this trip it would be economic madness to think that we can ignore it one way or another either by exporting to or buying from them. Building relations is important for trade in both directions. Also, while China is a huge manufacturing base it's also a huge market for products and produce from here (I believe China is an important market for Irish dairy and agricultural products).
    Sure, Cowan could be in China and give away the store, but that's unlikely.
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm still not convinced

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well you would take a lot of convincing as you somehow credit the cost as being close to a million for heading out here ! Sheesh ! Do people actually read what they post !?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default full circle

eventually the Chinese migrant worker will tire of the tough conditions, already manufacturers are facing industrial relation issues, their costs are rising
    its true that we can sell our agricultural produce to their increasing fondness for the western diet however we must make sure that we have added maximum value to said product, there is no point in exporting milk powder or cattle on the hoof.
    funny how people can only see agriculture as our exports to China, i thought the Septic Tiger had turned its back on Agriculture.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZANU-FF View Post
    Ireland Inc. does not gain from the rise of China - Our Pols. must stop listening to the mantra that has been trotted out from the failed Investment bankers.
    My company, which I started with a friend 2 years ago, plans to start selling to the Chinese market within the next 12 months.
    A demagogue is someone who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Also, with the rise in transportation costs, the gap between management and manufacturing, the falling standards, lack of patent protection, rising wage costs (although not close to wage costs here), and the looming possibility of undustrial unrest more businesses are beinging their manufacturing back home.
    Currently it's mainly smaller businesses but that's likely to roll forward to bigger ones as time passes. Plus the Chinese economy isn't as solid as it's percieved to be.
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by goosebump View Post
    My company, which I started with a friend 2 years ago, plans to start selling to the Chinese market within the next 12 months.

Curry chips I hope - my chinese has great curry chips but they're impossible to get in China

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast