Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gael-Taca - Thank God the property market has collapsed

Politics.ie Member Darren Mac an Phríora's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Gael-Taca - Thank God the property market has collapsed

Cork-based Irish language marketing organisation Gael-Taca have a free service to property developers to come up with names i nGaeilge for new residential developments. Thanks largely to the Gael-Taca free service there is a significant number (significant in my view being around 10%) of new residential developments being named i nGaeilge in every county in the Republic today over the last five or so years bar in Dublin, Wicklow and Kildare (in Kildare it's around 5% which is arguably albeit to a lesser extent significant also). In several counties there are a large number of new residential developments being named in Irish- 30%+.

The "main man" in Gael-Taca was Pádraig Ó Cuanacháin who died in March of this year. He was clearly (although largely unknown) the best Irish language activist in the country. You can read an article about him from The Irish Times here.

Pádraig was the marketing man in Gael-Taca. Although other people have skills to keep the show on the road Gael-Taca was in many ways a one man show. He once for example was involved with marketing in Barry's Tea and knew the sector. Gael-Taca have advertised a position to fill Pádraig's place although the chances of them getting anyone as good or as dedicated as Pádraig are between slim and none.

So, in this recession we are in and with the property market having collapsed we can be encouraged to know that there are one group of people down in Cork who are not under any pressure today to name new residential developments in Irish!!!

Last edited by Darren Mac an Phríora; 5th February 2018 at 09:38 PM.

Politics.ie Member Supermanpolitician's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Interesting but what was their business model? How did they generate revenues if the service was free?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Supermanpolitician View Post
    Interesting but what was their business model? How did they generate revenues if the service was free?
    They were funded by the Dept. of the Gaeltacht and a couple of city/county councils. They also occasionally were given money by business people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Mac an Phríora View Post
    They were funded by the Dept. of the Gaeltacht and a couple of city/county councils. They also occasionally were given money by business people.

So our tax money paid for this "free" service.

If businesses needed a company to come up with maes for their products they should pay.
    I have no problem with local authorities spending my tax money like this, but private enterprises should not get subsidised for a service they should be paying for themselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have no problem with local authorities spending my tax money like this, but private enterprises should not get subsidised for a service they should be paying for themselves.
    Yes but at very least a significant number- if not a large number- of developers would not avail of the Gael-Taca service if they had to pay. Thereby there wouldn't be as many names i nGaeilge around the country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes but at very least a significant number- if not a large number- of developers would not avail of the Gael-Taca service if they had to pay. Thereby there wouldn't be as many names i nGaeilge around the country.
    And thus is capitalism! If they don't pay, they don't pay. You can't prop up a market for any service jsut by subsidising it. This has been proved time and again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And thus is capitalism! If they don't pay, they don't pay. You can't prop up a market for any service jsut by subsidising it. This has been proved time and again.
    The service is working in every county in the Republic bar the two or three I mentioned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The service is working in every county in the Republic bar the two or three I mentioned.

Exactly. It is working because our tax money is paying for it. Tax away the tax support and if it works, yipee. If it doesn't....tant pis and the French say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Exactly. It is working because our tax money is paying for it. Tax away the tax support and if it works, yipee. If it doesn't....tant pis and the French say.
    So you are or you are not happy that your taxes are paying for this initiative?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So you are or you are not happy that your taxes are paying for this initiative?
    No. I pay enough taxes for supporting the Irish language already.
    I pay for school teachers. I pay for Radio na Gaeltachta. I pay for Irish language newspapers. I pay for TG4.

Should there be a bottomless pit of money to support the Irish language? No.

Common sense is needed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast