Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Martin Ferris Biography by JJ Barret

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Martin Ferris Biography by JJ Barret

I attended the launch of Martin Ferris' Biography "Martin Ferris-Man of Kerry" written by JJ Barrett last Monday night in Tralee. Gerry Adams was there to launch it. Tim Pat Coogan was also in attendance. I must say I was taken aback, as were others, with the huge crowd that turned out for it. There was about 6-700 people there and Martin, Gerry and JJ were signing books for about 2-3 hours. It was amazing. They must have sold close to 1000 books on the night.

I have read the book and it is an iteresting read for republicans and non-republicans alike. It gives a lot of detail of what life was like in Portlaoise Prison before Lonergan became Governor. It shows the brutal regime that ran that prison and the terrible things they did to prisoners. It also shows how Michael Noonan was culpible in the ill treatment of prisoners because he knew what was happening but chose to ignore it.

Mick O'Dwyer and Mickey Sheehy were interviewed in the book where they say that Ferris would have one many All-Irelands in the Kerry Golden Years, had he given it his 100% commitment. Very interesting read.

Has anyone on Politics.ie read it yet and what did they think?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm guessing this is more hagiography than critical biography, judging by the guestlist.
    I'll await the unauthorised biog, thanks.
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry for putting this in the PDs forum. Can a MOD move it to Current Affairs.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Martin Ferris Biography by JJ Barret

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrygold

I have not read it yet, but I know what I'll be asking Santy for this christmas.
    "John Bull has got his hand down your pants and his fist around your bollox and you can't see it."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry for putting this in the PDs forum. Can a MOD move it to Current Affairs.
    Done.

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Kerrygold...

tell martin get onto the publishers, and get them to throw a few free copies P.ie's way.

I'll buy my own though, good Christmas read
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Martin Ferris Biography by JJ Barret

I attended the launch of Martin Ferris' Biography "Martin Ferris-Man of Kerry" written by JJ Barrett last Monday night in Tralee. Gerry Adams was there to launch it. Tim Pat Coogan was also in attendance. I must say I was taken aback, as were others, with the huge crowd that turned out for it. There was about 6-700 people there and Martin, Gerry and JJ were signing books for about 2-3 hours. It was amazing. They must have sold close to 1000 books on the night.

I have read the book and it is an iteresting read for republicans and non-republicans alike. It gives a lot of detail of what life was like in Portlaoise Prison before Lonergan became Governor. It shows the brutal regime that ran that prison and the terrible things they did to prisoners. It also shows how Michael Noonan was culpible in the ill treatment of prisoners because he knew what was happening but chose to ignore it.

Mick O'Dwyer and Mickey Sheehy were interviewed in the book where they say that Ferris would have one many All-Irelands in the Kerry Golden Years, had he given it his 100% commitment. Very interesting read.

To football first. My own father fought many times against Ferris on the pitch, he was a dirty, untalented and dishonest player, with an inability to score, run and catch.

Secondly, I am aware that the figure of 6-700 is more like 1-200 from every report that I have heard, there not being even that many party member is the entire South West, and most of those being journalists.(

Thirdly, as goes his terrible time in prison, he did engage in illegal and criminal and terrorist activity, and is one who certainly does deserve such punishment. Besides any of these claims of false martyrhood, you can not in anyway say that this isn't just a money spinner and a publicity attempt, and the obvious shout out to allow Ferris to look heroic, for a failed attempt at dishonest activity.

Ferris is not a revolutionary, nor a hero. He is not patriotic, but a psychotic nut. He is not a good politician. He instead surrounds himself with a mystic, and people better able to carry out constituency duties and political roles. He is out for himself. This is clearly demonstrated by what creative accounting can do for his and his fellow republicans property portfolios, in Ardfert especially. He screams dishonour.
    A blagard, a criminal, and a terrible example of what we expect of politicians in every respect, he should have been never released, less still allowed to run for election in a country he still aims to subvert.

No true republican would respect this man-I don't and if you looked trully and honestly at him, neither would you.
    S.Behan

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have a good rant harpey?
    The day will dawn when all the people of Ireland will have the desire for freedom to show.
    It is then we'll see the rising of the moon.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by duff
    Have a good rant harpey?

You are living in a fools paridise if you think that I am wrong....
    3000 dead. Ferris has blood on his hands.
    S.Behan

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Harpey
    Quote Originally Posted by duff
    Have a good rant harpey?

You are living in a fools paridise if you think that I am wrong....
    3000 dead. Ferris has blood on his hands.
    Actually harpey over 3,600 dead. Ferris was right to do what he did.
    The people who have blood on there hands are the British Goverment, the crown forces and their paramilitary wings of the UDA,UVF and LVF.
    Lest you forget Harpey the UVF were the ones who lit the spark to ignite the flame of the current war. It wasnt the nationalist or republican population.
    The day will dawn when all the people of Ireland will have the desire for freedom to show.
    It is then we'll see the rising of the moon.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast