Thread: Cork money linked to Northern Bank raid

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Cork money linked to Northern Bank raid

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hardly a shock to anyone. However, don't forget that the Gardai are simply securocrats out to damage the peace process.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster
    Hardly a shock to anyone. However, don't forget that the Gardai are simply securocrats out to damage the peace process.
    And Free State, pro-unionist collaborators with the Empire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Before the Shinners pounce, can anyone tell me HOW the money was linked, other than Noel Conroy's say-so?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Libero
    Before the Shinners pounce, can anyone tell me HOW the money was linked, other than Noel Conroy's say-so?

Well, given that under the law the word of a Garda superintendent can convict someone of IRA membership, the word of the Garda Commissioner will do me just fine here.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Libero

Well, given that under the law the word of a Garda superintendent can convict someone of IRA membership, the word of the Garda Commissioner will do me just fine here.
    Did it not strike you - before or after plopping in the smiley - that that is the answer the Shinners want to hear?

They are happy enough to go on facing accusations that while probably not baseless, are not accompanied by conclusive evidence.

So can anyone else answer my question?

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

no, they can't Libero. And watch how many people end up facing court for this. 9 months to establish something that the PSNI established in 2 hours.

Rubbish
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rockofcashel
    no, they can't Libero. And watch how many people end up facing court for this. 9 months to establish something that the PSNI established in 2 hours.

Rubbish
    Well let's wait and see. While it is depressing to think of a joint press conference in aid of an assertion, there may be evidence to follow.

Edit: breakingnews.ie have a link to the story but it's not working yet...

Edit: breakingnews.ie story up here.
    It's depressing stuff alright:
    Commissioner Conroy refused to say whether the link to the Northern Bank raid last December, which was suspected to be the work of the IRA, had been established through forensic analysis of the notes.

“What I have seen at this stage, I am now satisfied that we will get to that position in the near future,” he said.

It's actually worth considering the dangerous waffle of Conroy.
    He expresses himself satisfied with the conclusion that the money was from the Northern Bank robbery, but is also glad to tell us that he can't prove it to the rest of us yet. Imagine him taking this tack for any other criminal investigation...
    Garda Commissioner Noel Conroy said he was satisfied the link has been established, despite the scepticism expressed by Sinn Féin.
    “I think if someone is saying that they are very much mistaken. I am satisfied at this stage of the investigation that we will show the money recovered during Operation Phoenix is part of the takings from the robbery of the Northern Bank in Belfast,” he said.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

actual evidence, thats a new departure.

Jee that was quick!

And they choose to announce this now, shortly after full IRA decommissioning.Whatever.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast