Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: swan attack

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default swan attack

Am I wrong in thinking that the individual who carried out the mindless attack on the swan in Coolock's "Stardust Memorial Park" should be taken into the park and publicly flogged? It debases us all as a species when a beautiful animal like that is wilfully slaughtered for fun. As a species, we must be seen to publicly punish the perpetrator.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: swan attack

Moved to justice, as I think that is more the area under discussion
    "Politics is not the art of the possible. It consists of choosing between the disastrous and the unpalatable."
    John Galbraith
    Economic Left/Right:-8.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian:-6.97

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What happened to the swan?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Did they eat it?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Was this where they force fed a swan with a firework?
    I didn't realise that that was in Ireland...
    Economic Left/Right: 0.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

A YOUNG swan has had to be put down after his bill was destroyed when a firework deliberately inserted into bread given to him in a Dublin park exploded.

The “barbaric” incident occurred in the Stardust Memorial Park in Coolock, the Dublin Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals said yesterday. Orla Aungier of the society said it was alerted by a member of the public on Monday night that a swan in the park had an injured beak.

A DSPCA inspector went to the scene alone but, while he could see the swan on the water, darkness meant he was unable to assess the extent of the injuries, she said. The inspector was advised by people in the park it was unsafe for him to work alone there and he left.

When Insp Liam Kinsella went to the scene yesterday morning, he found the injuries inflicted on the 18-month-old bird were consistent with a firework and so “horrific” they could not be repaired and the bird was unable to feed. The swan was taken to the DSPCA centre in Rathfarnham and humanely put down by a vet there.
    http://www.angrypotato.net/forum/topic. ... C_ID=21819

Are these people not sociopathic? To do a thing like this should end up in the cheapest psychiatric assessment then lobotomy.

Politics.ie Member merle haggard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

sadly many kids go through a phase were they commit needless cruelty to animals . Whether blowing up frogs with a straw , burning insects with magnifying glasses or chemicals , tying sparklers to cats and chickens tails - there is definitely a serious conscience deficit when one is in ones early teens. These things were quite common during my own childhood , i myself went through a lengthy phase of picking off crows in a nearby wooded area with a black widow catapult and became quite proficient at it . Sadly the ready availability of these bangers leaves the teenage propensity for needless cruelty a lot more scope than when i was a kid .
    Whilst what happened to the swan was awful though , whats much more newsworthy and important is that the park this occured in is not a safe environment for human beings . That requires much more urgent action and surely should feature much more prominently in the story than the drama of a random act of animal cruelty that many kids that age are pretty much capable of .

Has anyone ever heard of the Case of Swans [1592]---English case where all swans were owned by the first Queen Elizebeth--deemed treason to kill a swan and this law was never repealed---as ye know the death penalty remains in UK for cases of Treason--pity they didnt do it in hyde park

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colinmatts View Post
    Am I wrong in thinking that the individual who carried out the mindless attack on the swan in Coolock's "Stardust Memorial Park" should be taken into the park and publicly flogged? It debases us all as a species when a beautiful animal like that is wilfully slaughtered for fun. As a species, we must be seen to publicly punish the perpetrator.
    No, you're not wrong.

Animal cruelty is depressingly common in Ireland.

And its not just kids. Our rivers and canals are full of dead kittens and puppies.
    A demagogue is someone who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Swan attacks foreign students.........

I wonder why......

White wing supremacist: swan attacks foreign students - Telegraph

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast