Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: EU pours money and resources into Yes campaign

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default EU pours money and resources into Yes campaign

The EU Commission is throwing aside any pretence of neutrality in Irish political affairs and launching its own campaign for a Yes vote in the Son of Lisbon referendum.

It has concluded after looking into its heart that we were stupid. It is setting about curing our stupidity by holding meetings to tell us how stupid we really are.

In a coup for the Commission they have even roped in someone who voted No to be one of the people who will tell us exactly how stupid that is.

For a list of these unmissable opportunities (nearly said 'never to be repeated opportunities' but that assumes a No vote next time...) the LIsbon Times has the schedule.

How lucky can we be?
    'To attempt to rerun a referendum as a means of reversing the democratic decision taken by the people would be rightly regarded as an affront'. Dick Roche TD 21.12.01

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: EU pours money and resources into Yes campaign

"EU pours money and resources into Yes campaign"

Dear me. Could the title be spun any harder? It's a set of 7 public meetings, intended as 'listening exercises'. The total cost probably runs into nearly a whole couple of thousand euro. Shocking. I appreciate the Yes campaign in the referendum was nothing to writ home about, but I somehow doubt this is the opening artillery salvo of Lisbon 2.

Of course god forbid the EU should actually try and find out what people want. Damned if they do, damned if they don't, eh?
    Never let the best be the enemy of the good.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ibis

Dear me. Could the title be spun any harder? It's a set of 7 public meetings, intended as 'listening exercises'. The total cost probably runs into nearly a whole couple of thousand euro. Shocking. I appreciate the Yes campaign in the referendum was nothing to writ home about, but I somehow doubt this is the opening artillery salvo of Lisbon 2.

Of course god forbid the EU should actually try and find out what people want. Damned if they do, damned if they don't, eh?
    There shouldn't even be a Lisbon 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Helium Three
    The EU Commission is throwing aside any pretence of neutrality in Irish political affairs and launching its own campaign for a Yes vote in the Son of Lisbon referendum.

It has concluded after looking into its heart that we were stupid. It is setting about curing our stupidity by holding meetings to tell us how stupid we really are.

In a coup for the Commission they have even roped in someone who voted No to be one of the people who will tell us exactly how stupid that is.

For a list of these unmissable opportunities (nearly said 'never to be repeated opportunities' but that assumes a No vote next time...) the LIsbon Times has the schedule.

How lucky can we be?
    I am sorry at what point did the commission say or was meant to be neutral
    "We know what to do, we just dont know how to get elected afterwards" Jean-Claude Juncker on how to fix the European economy

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Harpo
    Quote Originally Posted by ibis

There shouldn't even be a Lisbon 2
    There won't be. They'll call it something else and it will be "new" and "different" but won't be either new or different.
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

By the way - considering that Libertas have not disbanded, and Mr Ganley continues to fly around to meet up with various eurosceptics - where is the equivalent "Ganley continues to pour money and resources into Libertas campaign"? I won't call it a No campaign, since it's more of a Euro '09 campaign at this stage.
    Never let the best be the enemy of the good.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Running emergency ('Flash') polls, paying people to monitor the Lisbon debate on this site, setting up these propaganda sessions.... and targeting Ganley. All without any basis in the Treaty.
    'To attempt to rerun a referendum as a means of reversing the democratic decision taken by the people would be rightly regarded as an affront'. Dick Roche TD 21.12.01

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is brazen propaganda designed to deceive the people into thinking their concerns on many of those issues are not well-founded. The reality is that they are on some of them, especially job-displacement. Brussels funding of the yes campaign, including via the European Parliament allowance, must end. It is debatable that it violates Irish law, as equal State funding is supposed to go to both sides and the EP allowance is paid for by the taxpayer. SIPO should investigate. This reminds me of the propaganda campaign by PM William Pitt's govt claiming we would get Catholic Emancipation if the Act of Union passed in in 1800, leading to some Catholic bishops supporting the Union.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How lucky can we be?
    October 6th Displacement – Real or Imagined? Royal College of Physicians, Kildare Street, Dublin 2. 8pm

Incl: Joan Burton TD (Labour Party), David Begg (ICTU), Marc Coleman (Newstalk)

I take it 'displacement' is code for 'immigration'?

Now that could be interesting!

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpa

How lucky can we be?
    October 6th Displacement – Real or Imagined? Royal College of Physicians, Kildare Street, Dublin 2. 8pm

Incl: Joan Burton TD (Labour Party), David Begg (ICTU), Marc Coleman (Newstalk)

I take it 'displacement' is code for 'immigration'?

Now that could be interesting!
    Catalpa i bet you that a group of gay like you are the people that the labour party of ireland is meant for anyway, so get over it my friend or are you going to invite rotweiller with your calculator to your invitations ?

L.O.L

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast