Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Proxy Bomb Campaign

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Proxy Bomb Campaign

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_bomb
    In the early hours of 24 October 1990 armed and masked IRA members (volunteers) took the family of Patrick "Patsy" Gillespie hostage. Gillespie was a Catholic who worked as a cook for the British Army and so was seen by the IRA as a collaborator and legitimate target.

The IRA forced him to drive a car loaded with 1,000 pounds of explosives to the British Army checkpoint at Coshquin on the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. When he arrived at the checkpoint the bomb was detonated by remote control, killing Gillespie and five soldiers from the Kings Regiment.

At Gillespie's funeral Bishop Edward Daly said the IRA and its supporters were "...the complete contradiction of Christianity. They may say they are followers of Christ. Some of them may even still engage in the hypocrisy of coming to church, but their lives and their works proclaim clearly that they follow Satan."[3]
    At the time I was horrified by this but in retrospect was it so bad?
    Patsy Gillespie would have died at some stage anyway and he was given the opportunity to die for Ireland.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Proxy Bomb Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by mountainyman
    In the early hours of 24 October 1990 armed and masked IRA members (volunteers) took the family of Patrick "Patsy" Gillespie hostage. Gillespie was a Catholic who worked as a cook for the British Army and so was seen by the IRA as a collaborator and legitimate target.

The IRA forced him to drive a car loaded with 1,000 pounds of explosives to the British Army checkpoint at Coshquin on the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. When he arrived at the checkpoint the bomb was detonated by remote control, killing Gillespie and five soldiers from the Kings Regiment.

At Gillespie's funeral Bishop Edward Daly said the IRA and its supporters were "...the complete contradiction of Christianity. They may say they are followers of Christ. Some of them may even still engage in the hypocrisy of coming to church, but their lives and their works proclaim clearly that they follow Satan."[3]
    Patsy Gillespie would have died at some stage anyway and he was given the opportunity to die for Ireland.
    At the time you were right. In retrospect - WTF? Are you serious? "Given the opportunity to die for Ireland"? Has your morality atrophied or something?
    Never let the best be the enemy of the good.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Without patriotism how can a nation sustain itself? How can we make the hard choices for Ireland when we have forgotten her name.

God Bless Patsy O'Hara. Truly some have greatness thrust upon them.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Don't be such an idiot.

He didn't give his life. Cowards murdered him so that they wouldn't have to give their own.
    We should be shaping an Ireland based on full respect for the human and civil rights of all our people, an Ireland of which Larkin and Connolly would be very proud.

Sean Farren

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is a pretty vile and vulgar thread. You may think you are being controversial and off the wall, all the while you are merely being pathetic.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is Ireland the only country in the world that isn't worth killing for?
    Don't the Patsy Gillespies of the world exist precisely to die for their country?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

At the time I was 15 and a supporter of the IRA campaign, I had no problem with the attack as I rationalised that Gillespie was a collaborator who faced a death sentence for his actions anyway. Many others had been killed for such behaviour and indeed one of my year group was the son of such a victim. To suggest that Gillespie's involuntary kamikazee mission was an "opportunity to die for Ireland" is a sign of a disturbed mind or a craven need for attention a la kalif/pogon et al.
    I no longer approve of physical force and can view this episode more objectively. Much debate has centred around the motivations for this action and I'm not going to get into that as the truth cannot be accurately known. It was certainly indicative of the increasingly desperate nature of the IRA's campaign to 'carry the struggle to the enemy' against military targets and was probably no worse than many of the actions of Britain and the US in Iraq and Afghanistan. That however, doesn't make it any less horrific or unjustifiable.
    It was an attack that had little military value, in the sense that it did nothing to remove the British administrative presence from Ireland, and can only be seen as to have had negative propaganda consequences. As such it is a rather totemic reminder of the folly of physical force strategies, in the present political climate, as such actions merely serve to provide ammunition to the state-directed propagandists whose livelihoods depend upon the demonisation of Republicans.
    It is cruelly ironic that some of those who may have had prior knowledge of, or influence over, the horrific manner of Gillespie's death would but a few short years later be urging co-operation and association with the same forces that he cooked meals for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by múscailte
    At the time I was 15 and a supporter of the IRA campaign
    [SNIP]
    I no longer approve of physical force...
    i'm glad that your views on violence matured...

Politics.ie Member Supermanpolitician's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Most idiotic post I have ever seen.

1. Everybody is going to die sometime. Still I would rather not die because someone else forces me to die.
    2. He didn't die for Ireland. No organ of the Irish state asked him to die.
    3. Given the opportunity? I am sure that he had no choice. If he wanted to join the IRA, I am sure they would have appreciated a suicide bomber.

Even for P.ie, this post in itself is a cautionary tale as to why the Internet is not for everybody.

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He was a cook FFS! This thread is despicable!
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast