Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Update From Pakistan

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Update From Pakistan

Well, fellow P.IE forum members. I've arrived back in Pakistan to find the blown out windows of my office covered in plastic sheeting. The view from my window is of the charred skeleton remains of what used to be the landmark Marriot Hotel, Islamabad. The place I used to buy my beer.

I supposed my choices had been limited, but took solace in the fact that, as a member of the UN Club, I can lounge by the pool, sipping reasonably priced cold beers and getting a sun tan.

Then the following arrived in my inbox:

Dear Members,

We would like to inform you that due the prevailing security situation in Islamabad, the UN Club will be closed as of today 24 September 2008. We shall provide you with an update on the evolving development soon.

We kindly apologize in advance for the inconveniences caused.

Thank you.

Hmmmmm...

I received another email telling me to:
    1. Avoid markets and if absolutely necessary, send the domestic staff instead (they're dispensable)
    2. Avoid all restaurants and hotels
    3. Only exercise in certain sectors of the city

What can I say? I've returned to a war zone where anything is possible.

The best analysis of the situation in Pakistan is the one below:
    USA Has Bared Its Teeth

By Asif Haroon Raja

21/09/08 "Asian Tribune" -- The US and its allies succeeded in toppling Taliban regime in November 2001 and replacing it with a puppet regime, but the Taliban were neither militarily defeated nor eliminated from the system. But for effective encirclement of Afghanistan from all directions and massive air support provided by USA, the Northern Alliance could not have made any progress. Once the Taliban realised that they were no more in a position to offer resistance particularly after Pakistan ditched them, they considered it prudent to carry out a tactical withdrawal from Kabul and most took shelter in Pashtun dominated southern and eastern Afghanistan. Some trickled into FATA and Baluchistan where they had their kith and kin and some moved into Iran. They remained inactive till 2002 but utilised this time to regroup and refit themselves to be able to strike back at the invading forces that had devastated their country. Bush and his teams of neo-cons felt complacent that the Taliban and Al-Qaeda had been taken care of and only the remnants had to be flushed out. It was this smugness which impelled them to invade and occupy Iraq in March 2003.

In the meanwhile, the vices that had been eliminated by the Taliban during their short rule reappeared in a big way. Besides lack of justice, war lordism, corruption, poppy growing, drug business and nepotism reigned supreme. The Taliban and their supporters were either brutally killed or put in Bagram jail and subjected to horrendous torture. The Pashtuns being in great majority were persecuted and power got concentrated in the hands of non-Pashtun Northern Alliance elements and war lords. The occupation forces inflicted heavy collateral damage on civilians whenever they confronted the militants. These developments disillusioned the Afghans and sympathy wave among the Pashtuns living both sides of the border started to shift towards the Taliban. Induction of NATO forces in 2003 together with deteriorating law and order situation provided the spark to ignite insurgency.

Read on

Clanrickard, this one's for you...

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Update From Pakistan

Oh, and the man on the street is pi**ed off!

People are now beginning to view this as us (Pakistan) against them (the US).

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the link. No sense of any improvement with the removal of Musharraf then?
    'To attempt to rerun a referendum as a means of reversing the democratic decision taken by the people would be rightly regarded as an affront'. Dick Roche TD 21.12.01

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Improvement? Bring Back Musharraf!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Disenchanted, how fair were the last elections in your view? I was amazed Mr 10% got elected to be honest.
    I give him 6 months till he's removed from office, probably in pieces.
    Just 1 gram of cocaine destroys 4m2 of tropical rainforest. Give it up ya selfish b'stards.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They were fair in that he got the necessary number of votes in the Parliaments and Senates, but they were unfair insofar as the elected representatives were not exercising the will of the people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by disenchanted

Ooooooh I see So it wasn't a bunch of religous fanatics who blew up the Marriot killing tens of innocent civilians it was the big bad evil US.

The US and its allies succeeded in toppling Taliban regime in November 2001 and replacing it with a puppet regime,
    You mean democratically elected? Karzai was democratically elected. I know this unrages the anti-American lobby but it is a fact jack.

[quote:2zmfp7sg]they considered it prudent to carry out a tactical withdrawal from Kabul and most took shelter in Pashtun dominated southern and eastern Afghanistan. Some trickled into FATA and Baluchistan where they had their kith and kin and some moved into Iran
    Utter utter rubbish. The FATA is awash with them. Peshawar is crawling with Taliban. I spoke to some Pakistani not 2 nights ago and they said that since the US toppled the Taliban (of which they were mighty glad) these "evil men" (their words exactly) have infested the North West frontier making life hell for the people that live there.

the vices that had been eliminated by the Taliban during their short rule reappeared in a big way. Besides lack of justice, war lordism, corruption, poppy growing, drug business and nepotism reigned supreme. The Taliban and their supporters were either brutally killed or put in Bagram jail and subjected to horrendous torture. The Pashtuns being in great majority were persecuted and power got concentrated in the hands of non-Pashtun Northern Alliance elements and war lords. The occupation forces inflicted heavy collateral damage on civilians whenever they confronted the militants.
    This is plain propaganda and anyone with a basic grasp of the situation knows this is not what happened. Have alittle look at the real sufferers http://www.rawa.org/gallery.html. Yes the US goofed. The mistake they made was not obliterating the Taliban once and for all and chasing them into the FATA and wiping them out. Life is nasty brutal and short in Afghanistan but only a wind up merchant or someone whose mind is twisted to see an anti-American angle on anything that is wrong with the world would think otherwise. Byt the way Karzai is Pashtun so
    The Pashtuns being in great majority were persecuted and power got concentrated in the hands of non-Pashtun Northern Alliance elements
    is patently false.

[/quote:2zmfp7sg]
    A very objective site

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Who killed Benazir+dictatorshipwatch = decent nutters what ever way you peel them

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard
    Quote Originally Posted by disenchanted

Ooooooh I see So it wasn't a bunch of religous fanatics who blew up the Marriot killing tens of innocent civilians it was the big bad evil US.

The US and its allies succeeded in toppling Taliban regime in November 2001 and replacing it with a puppet regime,
    You mean democratically elected? Karzai was democratically elected. I know this unrages the anti-American lobby but it is a fact jack.

[quote:w5a808h0]they considered it prudent to carry out a tactical withdrawal from Kabul and most took shelter in Pashtun dominated southern and eastern Afghanistan. Some trickled into FATA and Baluchistan where they had their kith and kin and some moved into Iran
    Utter utter rubbish. The FATA is awash with them. Peshawar is crawling with Taliban. I spoke to some Pakistani not 2 nights ago and they said that since the US toppled the Taliban (of which they were mighty glad) these "evil men" (their words exactly) have infested the North West frontier making life hell for the people that live there.

[quote:w5a808h0]the vices that had been eliminated by the Taliban during their short rule reappeared in a big way. Besides lack of justice, war lordism, corruption, poppy growing, drug business and nepotism reigned supreme. The Taliban and their supporters were either brutally killed or put in Bagram jail and subjected to horrendous torture. The Pashtuns being in great majority were persecuted and power got concentrated in the hands of non-Pashtun Northern Alliance elements and war lords. The occupation forces inflicted heavy collateral damage on civilians whenever they confronted the militants.
    This is plain propaganda and anyone with a basic grasp of the situation knows this is not what happened. Have alittle look at the real sufferers http://www.rawa.org/gallery.html. Yes the US goofed. The mistake they made was not obliterating the Taliban once and for all and chasing them into the FATA and wiping them out. Life is nasty brutal and short in Afghanistan but only a wind up merchant or someone whose mind is twisted to see an anti-American angle on anything that is wrong with the world would think otherwise. Byt the way Karzai is Pashtun so
    The Pashtuns being in great majority were persecuted and power got concentrated in the hands of non-Pashtun Northern Alliance elements
    is patently false.

[/quote:w5a808h0]
    A very objective site [/quote:w5a808h0]

EDIT: meh.
    *************, *********, ********, **** <3 USA

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is it true that British Airways finally got the nod and gave up on you guys.

I lived in England for a long time. Indians were never an issue .....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast