Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is feminism in Ireland dead?

Default Is feminism in Ireland dead?

Is feminism dead and gone? That recent survey of men's needs and wants in the IT showed that only 6% of the floppy-balled species thought that it was relevant.

As a woman and a 'neo-feminist' (ie I shave under my arms and use lots of lipstick) I think the battle is nearly won. Society recognises us as equal, but the legislature has to catch up. We still earn relatively less and suffer most from an appalling health care system.

But I think in general that we should now be considering unifying with men on common social issues rather than seeing things as mens' or women's issues.

What do other P.ie layabouts think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Is feminism in Ireland dead?

What time is the football on tonight ?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Macchiavelli
    Is feminism dead and gone? That recent survey of men's needs and wants in the IT showed that only 6% of the floppy-balled species thought that it was relevant.

As a woman and a 'neo-feminist' (ie I shave under my arms and use lots of lipstick) I think the battle is nearly won. Society recognises us as equal, but the legislature has to catch up. We still earn relatively less and suffer most from an appalling health care system.

But I think in general that we should now be considering unifying with men on common social issues rather than seeing things as mens' or women's issues.

No its achieved it work, many women today are trouser wearing mingers.

Just look at how glam wimin were in the 70s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=810TQyT2 ... re=related

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd like to think that women could avoid the feminist tag while keeping their underarm hair.
    A CHILD OF FIVE WOULD UNDERSTAND THIS. SEND SOMEONE TO FETCH A CHILD OF FIVE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKaiHamPT54

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No, because it is a global virus; powerful throughout the Western world especially. Our country's affiliation with feminist organisations such as the United Nations, and the European Union ensure that this movement is not "dead".

Irish Times polls may have the number of self-identifying active feminists as low, that's not really important. Feminist laws and cultural memes are very much in prominence.

As for your manifesto:

It's nothing but lies and unsubstantiated blanket claims. Like all feminist propaganda.

The only thing I can say about the feminist/women's movement is that it is at least consistent in its conceit, almost word for word. Your unsubstantiated "poor me" drivel - a facade under which lies uncompromising fundamentalism - might fly at the UN. I think wider informed society has increasingly less time for it however.

Take for example "the battle is nearly won"? Why must feminism/the women's movement always present this paradigm? It's always women don't have enough rights, women have "equality", but never that they just might in some circumstances have excessive rights, to the extent that they receive superior treatment compared to male members of society. Oh yes, that's right I forgot. Feminism is not about equality; never has been and never will be.
    Marxists, Feminists and Leftists operate on the basis of "liberating tolerance" - i.e. their ideas should be tolerated, and any opposition should be suppressed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We still earn relatively less and suffer most from an appalling health care system.
    Yes relatively less because women work less hours than men. Also men are more likely to work in a dangerous or physically demanding environment...therefore danger money etc etc..

And as for appalling health care system you have a woman to thank for that!

As for uniting together on social issues you are bang on there. I think its a disgrace that the Womens Council of Ireland gets funded very well whilst the Mens Council is practically ignored. What we need is a joint council where funds are distributed equally.
    Economic Left/Right: -8
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.56
    http://politicalcompass.org/

Yes, there are less women in parliament than men but that is for one simple reason. Women don't want it badly enough. Knocking on doors for two years and shaking hands with every moaner in the constituency? Women haven't the patience for it. When women put work into something they want to see a return on their efforts. They will not risk hard work and lost time on the whims of the electorate. Many men also share this pragmatism but unfortunately, men have a disproportionate amount of power hungry hacks within their ranks than women, ergo, more men in parliament.

Feminism was created for a purpose and I think it has served its purpose as far as it can go within liberal democracies (taking into account the fact that the movement is rooted in communism). Women have as much choice and freedom as any man. However, nature dictates that they must bear the children which puts the brakes on careers for up to a year per child. My equality law lecturer told us that over a lifetime the pay gap between equally qualified men and women is about 18%. I think she was implying that there was a male conspiracy keeping female pay down but when you factor in kids, 18% seems to a be a reasonable difference.

The problem with pure equality is that it cannot stay that way. Either the original dominator or the origianally "oppressed" will take the first oppurtunity in this new equilibrium to tilt the balance in their favour. Men know this and will be reluctant to cede whatever marginal dominance remains for fear of being dominated. I am not defending gender inequality here. I am merely observing how it is.

Personally, women can have the rat race for all I care. I'll gladly sit at home all day watching Barney and teletubbies with the kids on my 52" Samsung while they trek out to work in the rain and congestion. Ladies, i'm not standing in your way.
    Michael Courtney
    Lusk

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Feminism is an entitlement ideology of white western middle-class women. It doesn't give a sh!t about brown women, black women, or women outside a very narrow European/North American middle class segment.
    Feminism is frankly just a shopping list of what this class segment of women feel entitled to. Top jobs? Why bother working for them, just demand quotas. Got kids? Get other taxpayers to subsidise the costs of minding them. And then there is the endless angsting about white middle class women's anxieties - is fat a feminist issue? It shouldn't be, because the bulk of women on the planet actually don't get sufficient calories. But since it's a concern for this narrow societal segment, it's a concern for feminism.
    Feminists pay lip service to the concept of equality when it suits their entitlement agenda. But they are most vicious opponents of equality in areas where it would involve middle class females in Europe and America ceding any power, such as the issues of child access, custody, and the fair distribution of assets following the break up of a relationship.
    Feminism ceased being relevant a long time ago. Currently it veers from ever more preposterous shopping lists to ever more self-regarding angst about appearance to toxic hate speech against men. If any man spoke about women as Dworkin or MacKinnon speak about men, they'd likely be arrested for it, not given a high-paying tenure at a leading university from which to propagate their hate.
    Feminism is a corrosive joke perpetrated on Western society. It has never sought actual emancipation for the majority of the world's women (the poor, the brown, the black, the Muslim). It has never sought equality with men when an unequal power grab was available instead. That's why most men don't see feminism as being relevant. Most men recognise it for the shopping list for entitled white women that it is, and has been for a long time.
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As a woman and a 'neo-feminist' (ie I shave under my arms and use lots of lipstick) I think the battle is nearly won
    Your throw away remark reveals rather a lot. Feminism is defined as “the doctrine of advocating social, political and all other rights equal to those of men”.
    Nothing too outrageous there, so why does the mere word "feminism" or "feminist" engender such vitriol - as demonstrated by the majority of the posts in this thread here?

It is something I think about sometimes - has feminism become something of a dirty word? Even the apparent feminist who posted this, felt that she had to stress that she wore make-up and groomed - thus propagating a lazy and outmoded stereotype. Many women today, especially young women, baulk when asked if they would describe themselves as a feminist as the word has been bastardised and seems to conjure up images of dungaree-wearing, shaven-headed, man-hating, uber-lesbians.

However, if young women are asked if they support parity of payment for men and women - they agree; when you ask if women should be given the opportunity to work in professions that have been traditionally male dominated - they agree; when you ask if there should be a zero tolerance attitude towards violence against women - they agree; and when you ask if men should play an equal role in child-care and house-maintenance - they agree. These basic tenets inspired the feminist movement.

In essence, even though young women support the ideals that the feminist movement enshrine, the term feminist has been disassociated from these noble aspirations. The word has been hijacked, is viewed as a distasteful label, and instead now the word seems to be interchangeable with "angry, radical lesbian".

Many people here seem to think that it is time for "feminism" to do a victory lap and before making a quiet, dignified withdrawal from political circles. But how can one disassociate oneself from a desire to simply be equal? Not better, not worse - simply equal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ReformedRepublican
    No its achieved it work, many women today are trouser wearing mingers.
    Just look at how glam wimin were in the 70s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=810TQyT2 ... re=related
    Quite right . The amount of brutes on RTE compared to other channels is appalling. But of course looks have nothing to do with it

Now check out some real wymmin
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx99-oB71 ... re=related

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast