Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Economy is fine - Here is the proof

Default The Economy is fine - Here is the proof

The Irish economy is in fine shape, take a look at how much the new sweet shop in the Dail costs, all this stuff about cutbacks is just being talked up by the media. Rest easy everybody, because everything is just fine, there will be no cutting back on any public services when 1.3 million can be spend on kitting out the dail shop....

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...n-1476150.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: The Economy is fine - Here is the proof

Nice building - we should have a naming competition for it. As its location is visible on a daily basis by our political class I vote for the "Property Bubble" to help remind them of the inflated egos and expectations they caused and burst in this cycle.
    We are "they"

I wonder who runs this shop?

Quote Originally Posted by digoutday
    I wonder who runs this shop?
    The High Gombeen of all Ireland ?

I wonder how many nurses could be hired for 1 million quid?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by digoutday
    I wonder how many nurses could be hired for 1 million quid?
    Priorities, priorities, folks.
    I can change my avatar again - but I must stay good- and play the ball not the man

So, this year the OPW spend 230k on aherns office, 1.3 million on the shop, and 100k on John O'Donghue's office, well done lads!!!!

If this happened in a private company there would be war.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The photograph with the Indo story says it all really.

A small glass kiosk, grossly overpriced, visible to but entirely cut off from the people who paid for it by the high railings of Empire days. Transparency in action.

The people inside the railings are quietly laughing at us as they squander our money on their creature comforts.

Coming next - a ceremonial trough. Tenders invited.
    'To attempt to rerun a referendum as a means of reversing the democratic decision taken by the people would be rightly regarded as an affront'. Dick Roche TD 21.12.01

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

<Mod>Moved to the Economy forum. Please pay more attention to where threads are posted; the thematic fora are there to make threads easier to find.</Mod>
    Heavy words are so lightly thrown.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd also recommend re-naming the title.

Quote Originally Posted by The Irish Independent
    Labour's Ciaran Lynch said the shop costs were "exorbitant". He had previously questioned the spending of 100,000 on refurbishing the Ceann Comhairle's office and 250,000 on the new office of the former Taoiseach.

"The costs do raise questions as to any development in the Leinster House area and how those costs are managed," he said. "There needs to be a measurable approach to this, and 1.3m does seem like an exorbitant sum of money.

"The shop itself provides a very good service and is staffed by the National Rehabilitation Centre, but once again we find ourselves with questions being asked about developments in the Leinster House area at the end of the process. This does need examination."

The Office of Public Works (OPW), which oversaw the project, said the original retail outlet inside the main gate of Leinster House was demolished and replaced with a "bespoke-designed building to complement the new security pavilion in the precinct".

"The works included the construction of an enlarged functional transparent glass building with a new external glazed covered area which facilitates the holding of press interviews in inclement weather," the OPW stated in response to the FOI request.

"Substantial landscaping work including the provision of timber decking and outdoor seating was also carried out. Additional lighting was also installed to improve safety for persons entering and exiting Leinster House."
    1.3 million spent on a shop. We're simply amazing. Getting a State contract must be like winning the Euromillions.
    I just don't care whether it's staffed by the NRC or by the Care Bears, that doesn't mitigate the insane amount of money spent on it! Oh, but where are my manners? It's "bespoke"; a light, classy off-the-shoulder number - perfect for all social occassions
    "Unless you are an absolute pacifist, then you acknowledge that there are times when taking up arms is appropriate."
    - cactusflower

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast