Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top Saudi judge:behead satellite TV broadcasters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Top Saudi judge:behead satellite TV broadcasters

BBC
    The most senior judge in Saudi Arabia has said it is permissible to kill the owners of satellite TV channels which broadcast immoral programmes.

"There is no doubt that these programmes are a great evil, and the owners of these channels are as guilty as those who watch them," said the sheikh.

"It is legitimate to kill those who call for corruption if their evil can not be stopped by other penalties."

But on the other hand, fighting militant Islam can be difficult when the country's top judge calls for the beheading of those he views as immoral broadcasters.
    This amounts to a fatwa against CNN, Sky News, Al Jazeera ... Saudi Arabia is where the 9/11 people came from ... they are a country renowned for corruption, poor treatment of women( and remember Bertie went there in 2007 for 5 day trip) ...

Why do we even have relations with such a country ? Why isn't Saudi Arabia part of the US "axis of evil" ?

Will Rupert Murdoch, Ted Turner et al now have to hire extra security ?

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Default Re: Top Saudi judge:behead satellite TV broadcasters

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan

BBC
    The most senior judge in Saudi Arabia has said it is permissible to kill the owners of satellite TV channels which broadcast immoral programmes.

"There is no doubt that these programmes are a great evil, and the owners of these channels are as guilty as those who watch them," said the sheikh.

"It is legitimate to kill those who call for corruption if their evil can not be stopped by other penalties."

But on the other hand, fighting militant Islam can be difficult when the country's top judge calls for the beheading of those he views as immoral broadcasters.
    This amounts to a fatwa against CNN, Sky News, Al Jazeera ... Saudi Arabia is where the 9/11 people came from ... they are a country renowned for corruption, poor treatment of women( and remember Bertie went there in 2007 for 5 day trip) ...

Why do we even have relations with such a country ? Why isn't Saudi Arabia part of the US "axis of evil" ?

Will Rupert Murdoch, Ted Turner et al now have to hire extra security ?

cYp
    I think it's called O-I-L (and that's not Operation Iraq Liberation)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No mention of RTE then? I recall DeValera saying that television was:
    'Like atomic energy, it can be used for incalculable good, but it can also do irreparable harm.'
    I watched with glee, while your kings and queens, fought for ten decades for the gods they made.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The likes of Judy McGrath's MTV and Rupert Murdoch's news services do seem pretty damn evil though.
    Marxists, Feminists and Leftists operate on the basis of "liberating tolerance" - i.e. their ideas should be tolerated, and any opposition should be suppressed.

SA lives in the 8th century. Ignore them. once the oil runs out they go back to whatever it was they did before oil. Unlike the gulf states, which were somewhat open to the world due to their trading status, Saudi has been a dead loss since the collapse of the yemeni dams in the 6th century...

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Saudi Arabia has one of the most repressive remiges in the world. If they didn't sell their oil so generously they would have been invaded a long time ago.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

why, these islamists are sounding more and more like rightwing radio barkers
    more football!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BodyofEvidence
    SA lives in the 8th century. Ignore them. once the oil runs out they go back to whatever it was they did before oil..

They have lots of money ... they own a lot of US bonds and securities and this gives huge influence:

NYT, 2007
    As recently as last month, Charles O. Prince III could count on the support of Prince Walid bin Talal of Saudi Arabia, the biggest shareholder of Citigroup, the financial behemoth that Mr. Prince had run for four years.

The endgame of Mr. Prince’s career at Citigroup probably began with flights to Saudi Arabia by Citigroup executives early last week.
    IHT , 2007
    Petroleum exporters are adding to holdings of U.S. debt three times as fast as other foreign investors

Oil exporters eclipsed Asian nations last year for the first time since the 1970s as the biggest source of global capital, McKinsey found. At $70 a barrel, $628 billion in fresh petrodollars will flood global financial markets yearly, McKinsey said.
    Fears of dollar collapse as Saudis take fright
    Telegraph, Dec 2007
    Saudi Arabia has refused to cut interest rates in lockstep with the US Federal Reserve for the first time, signalling that the oil-rich Gulf kingdom is preparing to break the dollar currency peg in a move that risks setting off a stampede out of the dollar across the Middle East.

"This is a very dangerous situation for the dollar," said Hans Redeker, currency chief at BNP Paribas.

"Saudi Arabia has $800bn (£400bn) in their future generation fund, and the entire region has $3,500bn under management. They face an inflationary threat and do not want to import an interest rate policy set for the recessionary conditions in the United States," he said.
    Saudi Arabia's influence is growing... their clerics wanna chop off heads ... a leak of a few billion would easily fund terrorists for decades.

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They are very much part of the 'Axis of best friends'.
    "If the Germans land in Ireland they will be welcomed as liberators".

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Maybe we should have *cough* dealt with them....we had the excuse after 9-11...missed opportunity if you ask me...
    Signed, Universal (LGBT...QRSTUVWXYZ)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast