Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How's your Mandarin? Spanish? Hindi?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default How's your Mandarin? Spanish? Hindi?

A Japanese businessman was asked what language he spoke in business. He replied, "Are you buying from me or selling to me? If you are buying from me,it's English,but if you are selling to me it's Japanese." This story illustrates the importance of language fluency in international trade. I read somewhere that mastery of a foreign language is a better guarantee of employment than even a degree in IT.

Are Irish schools rising to the challenge of training a young generation of linguists that will enable Ireland to hold its own in the fastest growing markets of the future, China,India and Spanish America? For a list of the most spoken languages worldwide,see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnologue ... _languages

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: How's your Mandarin? Spanish? Hindi?

A non-wingnuttery patslatt thread!

*suspicious*

Wait, wait, yer just trying to reel us in, aren't you? And then 15 posts in you'll proclaim the solution is to disband the department of education, privatise all the schools, and charge everyone fees for everything.

Language education is pretty bloody awful though. I'd love to be ble to speak other languages, but can only ever learn a few pidgin phrases before all that grammar just baffles me. WTF is a "genitive case"? Sounds like something that gives you a nasty itch in the nethers.

So there's 2 issues really. No, 3:

1) We don't even teach English properly, so nobody knows what all these cases and tenses and cojugated things actually mean, so that the textbooks for foreign languages just leave them utterly confused

2) We teach languages in the most dry, deathly dull way possible. It's practically designed to bore the mind out of any child.

3) We combine all the worst possible aspects above into the worst possible package, and then compulsorily inflict the pain, administered by strange beardy loons, through the medium of Irish.

Language teaching in Ireland is failing by design, I'm convinced of it.
    Je suis un loo-lah

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have always thought there should be a thread on this site for people who wish to write postings in other languages. After all there are a few <as Gaeilge>.

I'd happily contribute in several languages. I bet the Mass Immigration crowd would be conspicuous by their monolingualism, so their absence might make it quite a pleasant and rational site.

Cooke Monster, nash etc. and the rest of the clowns' chorus-- I'm referring to YOU...

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I get paid in cash hard cash into my bank account , Statement arrives through my door written in English. I get paid in English I speak English.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

One main language and only one foreign language should be taught at school at any one time. I was bamboozled trying to learn four (including Latin which even the Romans don't speak anymore).
    I also believe basic sign language schools should be compulsory. It's estimated 17% of the Irish population is deaf or hard of hearing. Chances are, some of you reading this will be too, in later years. Sign language is universal and will never die.
    Just 1 gram of cocaine destroys 4m2 of tropical rainforest. Give it up ya selfish b'stards.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bogwarrior
    One main language and only one foreign language should be taught at school at any one time. I was bamboozled trying to learn four (including Latin which even the Romans don't speak anymore).
    I also believe basic sign language schools should be compulsory. It's estimated 17% of the Irish population is deaf or hard of hearing. Chances are, some of you reading this will be too, in later years. Sign language is universal and will never die.
    Shut up before you say more than you have said.
    Sign language is universal and will never die.
    No it is not.

How dare you take the Piss on a subject such as this

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I support what you say. Indeed Irish Sign Language, is, like Irish, a language that is unique to this country. I'd be open to including ISL in the Constitution as an official language of the state.

Sure beats recognizing Polish!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sigh* Go ahead troll, educate me. Whats the percentage and why is the Deaf Association websites giving 17%?
    Do you know more than them?
    do you believe sign language will fade away someday?
    Don't know why I'm even engaging you to be honest. I was just about to nip out or a fresh walk, till you spoiled my karma.
    Just 1 gram of cocaine destroys 4m2 of tropical rainforest. Give it up ya selfish b'stards.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thats was for Rahood of course.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sigh* Go ahead troll, educate me. Whats the percentage and why is the Deaf Association websites giving 17%?
    Do you know more than them?
    do you believe sign language will fade away someday?
    Don't know why I'm even engaging you to be honest. I was just about to nip out or a fresh walk, till you spoiled my karma.
    Do you think for one minute on this subject that I am some sort of troll. WTF

Just so we know between us that I am not Blind.
    I did however have to jump through the same hoops as a blind man.
    Any day any time you wish to meet me I can be in Dublin.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast